Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change/$300=Rip off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, just how often are you guys changing your oil? I've only changed it once a year, as advised by my dealer. I drive about 10k/year in Dallas. Also, is $900 reasonable for the "annual" service?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I make my own coffee, and cheezburger, does that count?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't read this whole thread, but did anyone mention that you can always call the dealer service writer and offer to pay what you're willing to pay for whatever routine service? I do this not by picking numbers out of the air, but by using their previous offers by mail (or from competing dealers.) Just letting them know that even though I'm showing up in a GT3, I'm still price conscious translates into them paying attention to offering their lowest price (otherwise, why shouldn't they charge me the full going rate?)
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by helispud
I just yanking your chain a bit too, Tim. I agree if the dealer is convenient, competant, and charges you what YOU perceive to be a fair price; there is no reason to be laying on the concrete changing your own oil. Especially if you don't receive any pleasure from the act.
Thanks. I think I took this thread a little too seriously...

For OCBen, yes, I should read your thread from the joking point of view.

And no, I don't have a lot of money. I am just too lazy to do certain things.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
.. Not cheap but this is not a cheap car...
I'm not buying that. My jeans on my butt cost the same whether I'm driving the 997 or the New Beetle. I'll pay a reasonable price... $70/hr labor (it is an oil change and and not an engine rebuild) but I'm not subsidizing hyper-expensive shop equipment that isn't used in the performance of an oil change.

$100-150 feels reasonable, if you can get to the shop conveniently. If I'd have to spend 3 hrs of my own time just getting to and from the oil change, I'd probably do it myself. Maybe I'll make my own stamp to put in my book.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:45 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

I change my own oil for about $70 in materials and less than an hour of my time. I enjoy the work very much. Great personal satisfaction comes from taking care of my baby. And I save about 2 hours of time plus I can do it whenever it is convenient for me. Sundays, evenings, whatever. I save my receipts for oil and filter purchased for proof of maintenance. And I mark my book with my personal Porschephile signature. And I reset the service reminder with my own durametric software.

If you can change a tire, you can change your oil. I respect those that take it in to the dealer. But if you have an inkling to give it a try...GO FOR IT!
Old 02-23-2009, 06:12 PM
lockmk
Track Day

Default recession sharpens the pencil!

just booked my '09 S in for a little warranty work (Key 1 stopped working and have an annoying rattle from the dash) and asked my local dlr to quote for an oil change. I have just under 5k from new and having done a good deal of short journeys it was a good idea. Anyway, Porsche of Stevens Creek (San Jose) quoted me $169 as a Winter Special. They fill with Mobil 1 and that seems like a good deal to me...
Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
So, just how often are you guys changing your oil? I've only changed it once a year, as advised by my dealer. I drive about 10k/year in Dallas. Also, is $900 reasonable for the "annual" service?
I'm a little more conservative than the owners manual or the dealer... I get the oil and filter changed every 5,000 miles. Once this car is properly warmed, I love to exercise it and frankly, it's cheap piece of mind for me.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Yep, oil is cheap and sure the car can go long times w/o a change, but why would you? These are performance engines. In the past, I changed the oil in my '69 L-88 Vette as often as possible. These new engines are tight and run like a fine Swiss watch. So why leave oil in a fine precision engine for long times?

Shop around if you do not want to do it youreslf, but change often and recycle the old oil, maybe your "beater" cars can use a little Mobil-1?

Deanski
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM
dog_tired
Advanced

Da Hapa speaks truth...
Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Wayward
Advanced

You can also use a low-profile jack and simply lower the car onto a set of Race Ramps. Easy and safe. (Remember to use chocks).
Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
Assuming there is $75+- in parts (oil and filter), a couple hundred to me sounds very reasonable and actually cheap, and that's probably what I have paid. But from the dealer's standpoint, their cost (facilities, service manager, tech, equipment, computer systems, general overhead, etc.), it's actually a loss leader to only charge a couple hundred, or more simply, a waste of time. I understand the feeling that $300 is a ripoff and I would probably react the same way, but on analysis it's actually justifiable.
cheap?

cheap?

justifiable?

perhaps to someone more willing to part with cash than do a DIY, but not to me.

be safe

Craig
Old 02-24-2009, 02:30 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I took my '07 C2S in for new brake pads and an oil change today. While they had the car up on the lift they spotted some seepage and the day also ended up including a warranty RMS replacement.

I'm fairly certain that if it had been me crawling around on the floor of my garage to do the oil change myself that the seepage would have gone undetected. I lack the experience and motivation required to really check out the car when I'm poking around, and to me it's worth the dealer surcharge (as ridiculous as it might be) to have an experienced Porsche mechanic looking over my car from time to time.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
In the past, I changed the oil in my '69 L-88 Vette as often as possible.
Really? You changed your oil daily. With practice, you could probably get it to hourly. It is possible.

Originally Posted by Deanski
So why leave oil in a fine precision engine for long times?
It depends on what is really needed. Sure I can change my oil way more frequently than is needed, but that is just a waste of time and money. Now to some it may not be a big deal to light up and burn a $100 note every couple of months or so, but I don't see the point in the time and cost of doing an unnecessary oil change.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I took my '07 C2S in for new brake pads and an oil change today. While they had the car up on the lift they spotted some seepage and the day also ended up including a warranty RMS replacement.
They find the leaks the same way you find them. Look for the wet spot(s). Look for the oil drips clinging to the under carriage. Feel that large oil spot that hits you right between the eyes.

My 10 year old could find them, without the premium.

Quick Reply: Oil Change/$300=Rip off!