Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change/$300=Rip off!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 08:15 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Bought my 76 911S from Holberts in 78,excellent service and sales. Too far from me now and with Princeton Porsche 5 minutes away, with their excellent service and sales, it's a no brainer for me!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Bought my 76 911S from Holberts in 78,excellent service and sales. ...
Do you still have that '76 911S?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
I laugh at all of those who think there time is so valuable that $300 is a bargain for an oil change. It takes no more skill nor cost to change the oil on a Toyota than a Porsche...yet some people here are willing to dish out the bucks on the Porsche. I do the easy services myself...and my time is also worth $$$. But when your sitting at home on a day that you are not working, nor recreating and only writing stupid things like I am doing now...what is my time worth? It is times like this that I rather save myself the $300!.
abe
Exactly. Very well said.

Today I washed both cars. Could have hired someone for 50-60 each, but I had a few hours, wanted to get outside, and it was the perfect outlet.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:35 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, well I guess we common folks have to use our hands sometimes. I only wish that some folks lived a little closer to me...for $500, I'll add a car wash to the oil change...might even check the tire pressure at no xtra charge.
abe
Old 02-23-2009, 12:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
To me, cleaning the house, doing laundry is also very easy, but I prefer to pay a nanny to do it. People spend money to pay for services that they don't want to do, but that doesn't mean they can't do them. Do you get it now?
I think you might be the one not getting what he and others are saying here.

Let me put it this way. If you were pressed for time (and your time being valuable) would you turn down your girlfriend's insistence that you come over right now for a quickie, and instead hire a gigolo - a professional - to go over and service her instead? After all, you'd rather not expend the energy, and the hired stud is much cheaper compared to the cost of your time (and probably better at it, experience being what it is), right? Of course not, if you're a normal guy! And why is that?

It's for the same exact reason why some of us spend hours meticulously washing and detailing our pride and joys - and demanding that the dealer not wash it whenever we take it in for service, not wanting an hourly worker to potentially mar our carefully cared for finish - regardless of the monetary value we place on our time.

There is pleasure in the doing.

Besides, we believe no hired hand can do a better job than we can, who do it out of love.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen

Let me put it this way. If you were pressed for time (and your time being valuable) would you turn down your girlfriend's insistence that you come over right now for a quickie, and instead hire a gigolo - a professional - to go over and service her instead? After all, you'd rather not expend the energy, and the hired stud is much cheaper compared to the cost of your time (and probably better at it, experience being what it is), right? Of course not, if you're a normal guy! And why is that?

It's for the same exact reason why some of us spend hours meticulously washing and detailing our pride and joys - and demanding that the dealer not wash it whenever we take it in for service, not wanting an hourly worker to potentially mar our carefully cared for finish - regardless of the monetary value we place on our time.

Besides, we believe no hired hand can do a better job than we can, who do it out of love.
Hi OCBen,

You are the one who don't understand my comment.

I'm going to say it again. I admire people who can change their oils and other car repairs. I'm sure you enjoy doing it too, so another good for you.

Your comment for hiring a gigolo is totally uncalled for, please use your common sense before you respond again.

Don't assume that everyone can do car things that everyone else can. I for one believe that the dealer can do a better job than me. I don't want to bother learning it now as I can earn more money easily doing other things.

There is nothing wrong paying someone to do things that you don't want to do. Otherwise why do we work so hard to earn money? You might as well move to a farm and grow your own food from the ground. You don't have to buy a car either, you can build your own. Do you get it now?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Hi OCBen,

I'm going to say it again. I admire people who can change their oils and other car repairs. I'm sure you enjoy doing it too, so another good for you.

Your comment for hiring a gigolo is totally uncalled for, please use your common sense before you respond again.

Don't assume that everyone can do car things that everyone else can. I for one believe that the dealer can do a better job than me. I don't want to bother learning it now as I can earn more money easily doing other things.

There is nothing wrong paying someone to do things that you don't want to do. Otherwise why do we work so hard to earn money? You might as well move to a farm and grow your own food from the ground. You don't have to buy a car either, you can build your own. Do you get it now?
I don't. Could you please review it once more.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:55 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Ben,

I'll be out there tomorrow. Can you please PM me your cell number. I'll give you a call.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi OCBen,

What is wrong with being a farmer and growing food "from the ground"? It's what I do for a very good living.

I also change my own oil, mostly because it's a 6 hour round trip drive to the nearest dealer. I also don't over fill, which happened the one time my dealer did change it.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wash my own cars for several reasons:
  1. I find it relaxing
  2. I find the end result extremely satisfying
  3. I don't trust the job to most other people
  4. The weather is generally very nice where I live and therefore conducive to me washing my own cars.

I haven't changed my own oil in a very, very long time. And I have several reasons for that, including:
  1. I don't find it relaxing
  2. I don't want to have to store the ramps and all that other crap
  3. Getting rid of the used oils is dirty and a pain in the ***
  4. I honestly don't find completing an oil change satisfying.
  5. I can list about a milion other things I'd rather be doing.
  6. $150 to change the oil on my 997S feels like money well spent

I tip my cap to those of you who do change your own oil because knowing how I feel about washing my own cars, I'm sure you get the same satisfaction.

But I'm willing to bet that most 997 owners prioritize their time/effort differently and would sooner do a multitude of other tasks (including relaxing on the couch) over performing their own oil changes.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by helispud
What is wrong with being a farmer and growing food "from the ground"? It's what I do for a very good living.

I also change my own oil, mostly because it's a 6 hour round trip drive to the nearest dealer. I also don't over fill, which happened the one time my dealer did change it.
Now please don't misunderstand my post again.

I have lots of respect for farmers and others who produce our daily healthy foods.

My point to the OP is that not everyone is good at doing "everything". And when they found that they are not capable to do certain things, or they don't want to do certain things, they will pay the expert to do it. It is such a simple concept.

My wife is a good cook, but we don't eat at home all the time. We like to dine out and pay someone else to cook for us sometimes.

I found that some people on this thread like to assume things too much. If someone don't change their oil, then they don't wash their cars, and they don't use their hands...
Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 PM
OCBen
Banned

Forget it. It was a hypothetical illustration that went over your head.

It was meant in jest.

In other words, lighten up Francis.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Dariof
Ben,

I'll be out there tomorrow. Can you please PM me your cell number. I'll give you a call.
Yeah sure, Dario. PM sent. It'll be good to see you again.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts

I just yanking your chain a bit too, Tim. I agree if the dealer is convenient, competant, and charges you what YOU perceive to be a fair price; there is no reason to be laying on the concrete changing your own oil. Especially if you don't receive any pleasure from the act.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a bit surprise that the $300 oil change can be a discussion topic these days. Do you guys know how much Porsche made when we buy a car from them?
For people that change oil themselves and do car repairs themselves, I always admire the skills that they have, which I don't have. But since I can easily make $300 in my business, I wouldn't care about going to the dealer for service rather than get my hands dirty or even call around for price check.
As far as I'm concern, garages and dealers are free to charge whatever fees that they want to, it is their business and they can decide what to charge. You have a choice to go or not.
Try going to a high end restaurant for a burger and ask them to match their price with McDonalds.
"I'm rich so i'll pay anything for anything"

Quick Reply: Oil Change/$300=Rip off!