Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Test Drive? How common is this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 602 Posts

Drive a GT3 (if you can find one).
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

carreracoupe997 - thats incredible. I'm far too **** to buy a car sight unseen.

yemenmocha - that explains why I haven't seen any of those colors!

I have a lot of experience with sports cars. I've owned 7 of them, mostly rwd, and have attended driving events for the last 5 years, and autoX's before that. I didnt run last year for personal reasons, but when I stopped, I was class champion with my z06 - this means I ran against all stock unlimited cars like viper, Ferrari, Porsche, Audi R8 etc. I placed second only one event the entire season - to an amazing driver in guess what.. a vette! I've also attended several PCA events. I'm not trying to impress you, but I am a very good driver and my car control is very good and I'm very comfortable doing it.

IMO if you don't power slide your car once in a while, you're missing out! If you do it properly its not harmful to the car (or others) and a lot of fun. I wouldn't do high speed power slides on the street, but going into a slow left hand corner with no one around.. why not get the back around a little?!

Marv, I'd love to, but I don't want a 996 and cant rationalize the 997 - but hey, gives me something to upgrade to later?!

Last edited by Sub; 02-18-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 546 Posts

Sub-

Get a new Vette since you seem to love them so much. You'll probably be disappointed somehow and regret your decision.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Sub
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Jack, I've driven the C6 z06 quite a bit, even on track. It is definitely a better car, but its lost something for me. Its no longer the snarling raucous kid it was. Its a more refined and really fast car. Its also quieter, which for me is a negative. I don't know, it just didn't get my blood going. Although its totally capable as a daily driver, there is no where to use all that power on the street, and its capability at slow speeds is so great, that its almost boring. As it is now with my c5z06, I putt putt around on 1/4 throttle.

This is one reason i think the 911s will be fun. Its a slower car, and definitely less exciting from an acceleration perspective, but its nimble and balanced and appeals to an enthusiast in different ways. It popped a little smile on my face driving it, and I guess that's all that needs to be said. I think it will be fun to try for a few years and if nothing else, will tick the Porsche 911 box on my (every enthusiast's?!) "must own before you die" list.

I must admit though, I get butterflies when I think that my z06 is going soon. I love that car.

Quick Reply: Extended Test Drive? How common is this?