Sponsored by:

997 PDK track event in AZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997 PDK track event in AZ

I just want to preface my commentary by offering thanks to Porsche N.Scottsdale (and my salesperson especially) for the opportunity to enjoy this track day presentation of the new 997 PDK. This is the proper way to test drive a new car, and I hope Porsche knows how events such as these truly make me want to be a loyal customer for life. I had a great time, it was free, and they made every effort to make sure that we drove every car that we desired.

Cars tested today: 997 PDK, 997S PDK (coupe and convertible), Cayman S, BoxsterS, Boxster, Cayenne GTS (passenger only for GTS)

PDK: Silky smooth, shifting almost unnoticeable at times when in auto mode. Gear selection was always right on, except for occasions when we would start out on the track at a leisurely pace – I would look down and see I’m in 5th gear when it was time to get on the throttle. Good for fuel efficiency though. Manual gear changes I didn’t care for because I’m not familiar with the thumb location. Even though I’m a strict 3 and 9 person, it just did not feel right at all, and in fact I think my thumbs occasionally touched the shifter in a couple turns (though no shift occurred). BMW’s SMG and other setups are a more intuitive position for me. For some reason the other versions were more fun, the thumb location felt like an inconvenience and it didn’t take long for me to just use the auto mode entirely and focus on the track. Throttle blips were not as exciting as I expected. However, acceleration was very smooth and virtually uninterrupted. I only had it up to 105 on the straight. Overall, without a doubt I will order the PDK on my next 911.

997.2 overall – much more precise handling, better steering feel, more firmness in grip & feel through turns, less cushy plush feel that my 997 S has. I was told that the rear weight is less noticeable because the new engine is lower than the older one, however I’m not sure that I could tell. The base Carerra had a more emotional rip through the RPM’s since it was noticeably faster to redline and although I forgot to confirm that it had the same exhaust as the S that I drove, it sounded more visceral to me. The Carrera S is modestly faster than the older model, but it is revealed by watching the speedometer – I’m not sure the seat of my pants could tell a huge difference at speeds under 100.
Taillights are much nicer in person, especially when illuminated. Front LED’s are a little too “blingy” for me, although I admit it is good for safety. I could always tell with ease where the 997 behind me on the track was located.

Cayman S, boxster, Cayenne GTS – GTS had one of the best exhausts I’ve ever heard, especially on an SUV. I think it will be sought after by those with previous model year Cayenne. Unbelievable. I have much more respect for the Cayman after taking it on the autocross track with one of the PDE instructors giving good advice. The hot laps with the instructor at the wheel were amazing. I learned a lot from the instructors and they were helpful with my tendency to pinch in the corners.

Did I mention there was a black GT2 parked next to my 997?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Old 11-10-2008, 11:21 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Old 11-10-2008, 11:22 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_2935.flv

http://s111.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_2938.flv
Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

I drove the same white Carrera, black cabrio S and green S in a similar event here in the Bay Area in mid October. Awesome cars!

Quick Reply: 997 PDK track event in AZ