2009 for close to invoice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
....ohh boy.. you guys are HiLARRious!
I wouldn't be - I'd have a Turbo on order, but....
Old 10-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I wouldn't be - I'd have a Turbo on order, but....
Duuude!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:50 PM
MFC996
Instructor

Just saw 1st GT2 offered under sticker on Ebay. Here comes the tsunami.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Moderato
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't look like my wife wants to cooperate... Maybe in the spring we'll come up with something. I finally did drive a new 997S - what a beast!
Did the 09 you test drove have sport PASM & LSD? What was the biggest difference between that and your Cayman? (besides HP)
Old 10-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by Moderato
Did the 09 you test drove have sport PASM & LSD? What was the biggest difference between that and your Cayman? (besides HP)
It had PASM, but not LSD (i.e. PASM Sport). The ride felt the same as my old 997S (2006) and MUCH better than my Cayman.

The Cayman and 911 just feel so different. They are both really good, but the Cayman is so quick to rotate. The 911 feels much more planted and comfy. I have an RS4 for my "planted and comfy", but if I could keep the RS4 and add a new 997S, I'd do it in an instant. I bought the Cayman to give me that edgy, sports-car feel I don't get with the RS4. It's by no means a bad car, but the new 997 is REALLY good. Go drive one and you'll see what I mean.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Moderato
Racer

It had PASM, but not LSD (i.e. PASM Sport). The ride felt the same as my old 997S (2006) and MUCH better than my Cayman.

The Cayman and 911 just feel so different. They are both really good, but the Cayman is so quick to rotate. The 911 feels much more planted and comfy. I have an RS4 for my "planted and comfy", but if I could keep the RS4 and add a new 997S, I'd do it in an instant. I bought the Cayman to give me that edgy, sports-car feel I don't get with the RS4. It's by no means a bad car, but the new 997 is REALLY good. Go drive one and you'll see what I mean.
Wierd that it had sport PASM and no LSD. I wonder why the dealership ordered it that way. Is there any benefit to not having the LSD? I've read that an LSD at street driving levels will actually contribute to understeer because the physics of the LSD when rounding corners makes it "harder" for the car to turn it. I'm planning to get the LSD option though when the time comes. If this damn economy didn't take 50% out of my accts, I'd probably be ordering one now, I guess I might have to wait a couple more years. I have an 07 E92 335i now so life's not that bad. I've owned E46's M3s, 330's, 2 STI's, etc. I just need to own a Carrera for some reason! I was going to consider a CPO 06 - 08 997 but I really love the 09's.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Wierd that it had sport PASM and no LSD.
I should have stated it more clearly - it had PASM, but not Sport PASM (which comes with the LSD). A lot of buyers, believe it or not, want the comfy ride, etc. A lot of 911s sold at my local dealership are Tip/PDK and have lots of comfy options. Personally, I want a stripped out, houndstooth interior, no extra frills/sensors/etc. 911 that I can buy for $70K w/the 3.8L engine and big brakes.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Moderato
Racer

I should have stated it more clearly - it had PASM, but not Sport PASM (which comes with the LSD). A lot of buyers, believe it or not, want the comfy ride, etc. A lot of 911s sold at my local dealership are Tip/PDK and have lots of comfy options. Personally, I want a stripped out, houndstooth interior, no extra frills/sensors/etc. 911 that I can buy for $70K w/the 3.8L engine and big brakes.
If you got the 997.2 would it make you forget the Cayman completely?
Old 10-21-2008, 12:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

My 09 Carrera S has PDK with the Sport (lowered) PASM. Let me know what you want to know.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

If you got the 997.2 would it make you forget the Cayman completely?
Yes - the 997.2 is an amazing car. It's just hard to justify a $100K car at the same time as a $70K car. Maybe when the RS4 is paid off...
Old 10-23-2008, 09:50 AM
Moderato
Racer

Yes - the 997.2 is an amazing car. It's just hard to justify a $100K car at the same time as a $70K car. Maybe when the RS4 is paid off...
There's just so much talk about how the Cayman has such superior handling to the Carrera and that with a stronger engine & LSD the Cayman would run rings around the 911. That Porsche intentionally under-engineers the car so as not to cut into 911 sales and the only reason the 911 is so sought after and sells for what it does, is due strictly to it's status as an icon. How much of that is true and how much is just talk? I wonder though, if the 997.2 was a brand new car, never heard of before and just released this year by a new company no one ever heard of before, how would it be received?
Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 28 Posts

There's just so much talk about how the Cayman has such superior handling to the Carrera and that with a stronger engine & LSD the Cayman would run rings around the 911. That Porsche intentionally under-engineers the car so as not to cut into 911 sales and the only reason the 911 is so sought after and sells for what it does, is due strictly to it's status as an icon. How much of that is true and how much is just talk? I wonder though, if the 997.2 was a brand new car, never heard of before and just released this year by a new company no one ever heard of before, how would it be received?
My view is that when Porsche decided to make the best possible road car they could, they came up with the Carrera GT, not a rear engined variant of the 911. The 911 is their icon and they will continue to make it and gradually improve it, and try to best counteract the inherent weight issues behind the rear axle. Granted, the 911 will give you rear seats for added practicality. However, I think the Cayman is likely the better handling car from a physics standpoint. If a rear engined set up is so good, why don't other car manufacturers do the same? I can't remember one since the DeLorean.

Anyway, I love the 911 and overall prefer it to the Cayman.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:21 AM
AJKOK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyca
The Dow will drop below 8000 today, over the next few days/week - trillions of dollars in credit default swaps have to settle, more banks will fail, and the US is about to elect a neo-stalinist President. And you are asking whether prices on a completely non-essential item might soften over that time period?

Cheer up my friend, Its not all doom and gloom. a standard 997 C2 S over here in the UK has a list of $116k vs. $86k in the US, two weeks ago with exchange rates it was over $130k. Make a car in Germany, ship it a quarter of the distance to the UK rather than the US and magically its price increases $30k. Did I mention it was $10 a gallon in the UK for fuel ?

Sorry, not meant to be a financial assessment, a car's is worth what you are willing to pay, and that is different for all of us. Personally with all the current doom and gloom, looking at my nice new 997, cheers me up and is well worth every penny ( sorry cent).

Al.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

You must drive it to understand. It just works so well. That's why the other manufacturers can't figure out how this 60 yr-old design is still so potent. Believe it or not, I've found the Cayman to be twitchier when I'm really pushing hard...

Quick Reply: 2009 for close to invoice?