Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Damp carpet along door interior (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/454452-damp-carpet-along-door-interior.html)

ajayabb 09-14-2008 02:43 PM

Damp carpet along door interior

Hey guys. First post. Just acquired a 2005 Guards Red Carrera coupe.Have wanted one since I was 12. Took ownership about 2 weeks ago, and since then I have noticed that moisture is wicking up the interior lower door carpet on both doors when the sills get wet. Any ideas. Seems strange that it is occurring on both doors.

Coochas 09-14-2008 03:07 PM

That IS strange especially since it is both doors.
My C4S has no such issues and I do not recall seeing any similar posts describing your problem.
Was the car ever in an accident? Sounds like something that should not be too hard to fix with a little insulation.

Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on your car,....I love Guards Red!

nicoff 09-14-2008 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ajayabb (Post 5806185)
Hey guys. First post. Just acquired a 2005 Guards Red Carrera coupe.Have wanted one since I was 12. Took ownership about 2 weeks ago, and since then I have noticed that moisture is wicking up the interior lower door carpet on both doors when the sills get wet. Any ideas. Seems strange that it is occurring on both doors.

I have a cab and experienced similar damp carpet once. The problem was that the drains that channel water to the ground had gotten clogged. Water accumulated in the lines and made it to the carpet by a wicking effect.
Have your dealer flush the drains with air. I also suggest that you try to dry out the interior of the car. There may be more water/moisture inside than you think.

ajayabb 09-14-2008 04:03 PM

No accidents thank God. I will schedule an appointment with the dealer. Hopefully it will be something simple like a clogged drain line

tooloud10 09-14-2008 05:02 PM

I'm betting the sunroof drain tubes are clogged, though I don't even know if they run in the same places as the 996.

MLindgren 09-14-2008 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ajayabb (Post 5806388)
No accidents thank God. I will schedule an appointment with the dealer. Hopefully it will be something simple like a clogged drain line

Before you schedule a dealer visit maybe you could schedule some time to post up some pics of that bad mamma jamma.

Congrats on your new ride!:cheers:

ajayabb 09-14-2008 05:27 PM

Would you like pictures with or without the Shop Vac. :thumbup:. I will post some photos once I get a chance. BTW Great forum. Thanks for the quick responses too.::cheers: Now back to football.

nicoff 09-14-2008 07:53 PM

I forgot to mention that there is an electrical black box under one of the seats that controls many electronic functions. That box is located at a low point on the floor and depending on how much water you have inside the car, the box could short circuit creating all kind of electrical gremlins and then you will have to have the box replaced ($$$).
I suggest that you have your dealer look at your car ASAP. Meanwhile, I strongly suggest that you keep the car away from water and rain!

ajayabb 10-28-2008 07:52 PM

Follow up to problem. Took it to the dealer, no clogs in the drains. I thought maybe by chance I left the window cracked open on either side so I paid careful attention. The dealer was equally puzzled. They lubricated the seals and said wait and see. Weeks went by without a problem unitl today. We got a ton of wind driven rain today in Philly, and now the carpet is damp again. Service Technician said the next step is to replace all the seals (Under Warranty). What a pain.
I know , I know Post Some Pictures........

ADias 10-28-2008 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ajayabb (Post 5944666)
Follow up to problem. Took it to the dealer, no clogs in the drains. I thought maybe by chance I left the window cracked open on either side so I paid careful attention. The dealer was equally puzzled. They lubricated the seals and said wait and see. Weeks went by without a problem unitl today. We got a ton of wind driven rain today in Philly, and now the carpet is damp again. Service Technician said the next step is to replace all the seals (Under Warranty). What a pain.
I know , I know Post Some Pictures........

That does not sound right. Not all seals.
Have they looked at the windshield? was the windshield ever replaced?

ajayabb 10-29-2008 08:48 AM

Not that I am aware of. I will mention that today when I call the dealer. This is such a strange problem as it is affecting both doors..

ADias 10-29-2008 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ajayabb (Post 5945941)
Not that I am aware of. I will mention that today when I call the dealer. This is such a strange problem as it is affecting both doors..

I doubt that both door seals failed. I am more inclined to think that it comes from the firewall, either a poorly sealed windshield or something else on the firewall. Please keep us posted.

ajayabb 10-29-2008 03:28 PM

Thanks for your help. I spoke with the dealer. They have a colorized paste that can be placed around all vulnerable areas one spot at a time, then they can soak the hell out of the car. I also told him that it didnt make sense that both door seals failed at the same time. He kinda concurred, and admitted that he had never seen this problem before either. Hopefully I will have an answer by next week..

MartyB 10-29-2008 04:10 PM

Your automatic window retractors, or whatever they are called, aren't defective, are they? You know, the feature that slightly retracts your windows when you begin to open a door? I had a GTI years ago that developed a wet carpet problem in the rear driver side. The problem was that rain was simply running down the side window into the door and dripping out of the bottom of the door. Don't know if this could happen in a 911 or not.

ajayabb 10-29-2008 05:57 PM

Yep, First thing we checked.