Sponsored by:

Sun Visor decals

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM
sws1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
I did the same. Looks much better but I still have some glue stuck to the leather. Partly because I could NOT remove the sunvisor from the car. I read in the Renntech thread that the visors "slide right off" and they do not, at least with the leather.

Any idea how to remove the glue from the leather without damaging it? I have tried a bit more isopropyl alcohol and some leather cleaner, but not great results yet.

They do slide right off, but it takes a pretty strong tug to get them off. Even on the non leather.

The 3m Adhesive Remover was what eventually allowed me to get most of the sticker off. The alcohol only worked so well. I'm not sure if it works on leather though. Try in a sample spot first.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

It is definitely a pull to get the visors off...but they do come off. Just make sure you fold the visor down and pull straight so you don't bend or break the stem. The 3M Adhesive remover worked on my black leather. I think I found it at an Ace Hardware store - I'm sure others carry it. After removing the glue with the 3M, I used lots of leather cleaner and conditioner and then reinstalled. They look great. Also, when you you do your prep work to remove the decals use the 91% isopropyl not the 70%.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it sounds crazy but use lighter fluid to remove sticky residue.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by NJtarga4
I know it sounds crazy but use lighter fluid to remove sticky residue.
Try it on your leather and report back - thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Update on airbag sticker removal on 2009 Targa

I just wanted to provide some fresh and specific insight on how to get those US Govt nanny stickers off of the 997.2 Targa non-leather interior sun-visors.

First, the one bonus of the Targa sun visors, give the downside of them not being able to rotate to cover side windows, is they are attached by two torx screws, one at each end, through the hinge. So removing those torx screws drops the sun visors off .. no electrical wiring to futz with either... the power to the light is provided by spring contacts to contact points on the visors.

So step #1, pull out a good screwdriver torx T20, and remove 4 screws and you have pulled out the sun visors to make this work really easy.

Second, I did my removal with basic denatured alcohol that comes in a tin can from the home center or hardware store. Nothing stronger than that was needed. I soaked a paper towel (a blue shop paper towel found in auto parts stores in my case.. they are tougher and less absorbent than kitchen paper towels, but I don't know if the choice of paper towel type would have made a difference), having folded it over 4 times to just bigger than the stickers.. and set that soaking wet paper towel on the sticker. The visors were sitting flat on the ceramic surface of my laundry room counter... soaked towel on them. I waited about 10 minutes or so before beginning the peel process on each sticker.

The stickers are plastic, so they don't easily allow the alcohol to penetrate. My method was to let the alcohol soak in as best it could around the edges and in all of the manufactured cuts in the sticker surface that are there to allow it to contract and expand in the heat and cold. That was enough to soften the adhesive so I could take my thumb nail and gently get under the corners and pick of the sticker in anywhere from 10-20 pieces and bits.. some longer and winder, others smaller and some tiny. It took some time but I got all the sticker bits off. Then wiped down with the alcohol soaked paper towel and removed all of what little residue there was.

My finger tips were a bit tacky as adhesive stuck to my fingers, but after the wipe with the wet paper towel and a drying buff with a dry paper towel the visor cover side was clean and left zero indication that there was a sticker there on the outside, and only a slight outline of the rectangle of where the sticker was on the inside.. most likely due to the fact that that is the soft side of the visor.. and this was only visible when holding the visor at an angle in the light. When viewed direct on I don't see it at all. Not sure if this is unique to the Targa visors or new for 2009+ cars or what.

Flipped the visor and did the other sticker. No stickers on mirror flip lids.. the Targa visor doesn't have those type mirrors.. .the mirror cover/lamp switch is a slide cover over the mirror.. the airbag sticker was applied in the space to the side of that.. and on the same surface as on the outside (bottom side) of the visor. The only difference when doing the inside (mirror side) of the Targa visor is that the padding is on that side, so the surface is softer and gives under your thumb nail, so getting under and pulling up the bits of sticker was a tiny bit more difficult. But the end result was the same....clear and clean sun visor.

Then just repeat the same steps for the other visor. 40 mins later and I have two nanny-sticker-free sun visors the way the car designers inteneded them to be.

For those with Cabriolets or Carerra Coupes, the visors are probably different... so the specifics may not apply, but denatured alcohol worked great... no risk to the synthetic materials of the visor.

General advice, use no sharp objects to get the stickers off (ie make sure you have well trimmed nails, don't use a knife, screwdriver or other hard tool) It never crossed my mind to try... I'm just reminding others to also not even think about it.. .you may well scratch the visor, especially the softer padded insided, otherwise.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
It is definitely a pull to get the visors off...but they do come off. Just make sure you fold the visor down and pull straight so you don't bend or break the stem....
Originally Posted by Minok
....First, the one bonus of the Targa sun visors, give the downside of them not being able to rotate to cover side windows, is they are attached by two torx screws, one at each end, through the hinge. So removing those torx screws drops the sun visors off .. no electrical wiring to futz with either... the power to the light is provided by spring contacts to contact points on the visors. So step #1, pull out a good screwdriver torx T20, and remove 4 screws and you have pulled out the sun visors to make this work really easy....
The Coupe visors can also be removed without the possible risks of damage incurred by yanking the visors off their mounting. A single T20 Torx screw holds the visor in place to the roof. Gently pry off the plastic trim piece at the pivot point of the visor arm and you can get access to the screw. Now the entire visor assembly can be easily removed and Minok's sticker removal proceedure can begin.

An additional note about peeling off the stickers. Once you've got the sticker starting to come off, use a q-tip dipped in alcohol to "paint" the underside edge of the sticker where it meets the visor as you peel it. This further dissolves the glue and makes the sticker easier to remove. I was able to remove the stickers in a single piece using this method, and there is less glue residue left behind to clean up.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 12-28-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking at the laminated window sticker and seeing "Sun Visors in Leather" $575 and then wondering if it was the same person that ended up sticking these horrendous decals across them.

I guess if I lived in California, my Kiton jackets would have giant "No Vicuna were harmed in the making of this jacket" decals stuck on the lapels.

Quick Reply: Sun Visor decals