Sponsored by:

XM and Sirius Merger Impact?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Default XM and Sirius Merger Impact?

I don't follow the XM vs Sirius thing at all,...so please excuse any ignorance expressed in this post!

I understand that potential merger between the two satellite radio providers has been approved my Congress.

My question is,....if you have an XM radio (I'm thinking about it on my turbo specs), what impact will there be if the two companies merge? Does one become obsolete or do they work in similar frequency ranges?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:37 AM
angelo1404
Shamwow!
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 PM
leneuromancer
Advanced

In the short term (being the next x years) any Sirius or XM radio will continue to work as normal, however, depending on the strategy they take, you will still only be able to access XM content and those with Sirius radios will be able to only access Sirius content. It is possible they will combine content and broadcast it on both networks ...AFAIK, this is an unknown and has not been discussed.

As the combined company sorts it all out, product & service offerings are supposed to expand (with the most hyped being ala Cart channel packages) ...however these will probably require new hardware.

I have just installed the Nav-TV Sirius unit ...confident it will provide me what I need for the next x years (at which time I imagine I will be able to just upgrade the "Sirius Connect Vehicle Tuner" included with the Nav-TV solution, and it will continue to work as it does today)

Hopefully this thread wont degrade into a bad for the consumer squabble about the now monopoly of satellite radio!
Old 07-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

No new hardware at this point. So far, what I believe will happen is the receivers will be able to obtain signal from both Sirus and XM once they establish transmission on sat and earth transmitters. In other words, they will be able to transmit to both at once.

In the future, I'm sure between both technologies they will update hardware to a better way of reception.

Deanski

Quick Reply: XM and Sirius Merger Impact?