Sponsored by:

Car Cam

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Cam

Had a friend's Porsche keyed twice, probably by the same person. I'm trying to find some sort of in-car camera that might provide some additional security. Would love to hear your feedback.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Where are you? State? City? Where is the car kept? Has a lot to do with these things.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:00 PM
MartyB
Racer

I actually thought about a car cam this past weekend. I have already had a shopping cart scratch my car in a Home Depot parking lot. Also, this weekend I parked on the curb of a Super Walmart and left my wife and kids in the car while I ran in for literally 3 minutes to pickup something. My wife had her window cracked and heard a young hispanic Walmart employee walk by my car shaking his head say "if there weren't people in that car I would run a key all the way down the side of it". He then extended his hand and made a scratching sound while he walked the entire length of the car. Granted, I was improperly parked, but the car was not unattended, was not blocking an entrance or walkway and I was only gone for about 3 minutes. I can't imagine that little ***** threatening to key a Honda Civic for being parked in the same spot. While a car cam might not have helped in these instances, they have made me a little paranoid. To top it off, I just noticed damage this week to the bottom side of the driver door handle on my new Avalanche indicative of someone trying to break into it. The trim was torn and appears to have been pried with a screwdriver. God help the punk I catch in the act of vandalizing my vehicles. Maybe it is best I don't get a camera.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Where you park makes somewhat of a difference. You only **** people off when you are parked improperly. Then they look upon you as someone who doesn't follow the rules we all have to follow,--like you're above them. THAT'S why Porsche drivers can get a bad rap.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Had a friend's Porsche keyed twice, probably by the same person. I'm trying to find some sort of in-car camera that might provide some additional security. Would love to hear your feedback.
One more thing for the thieve to steal?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gonna be hard to see the license plate from an in car camera, and even harder to ID the perp. You could ask the store to let you see their parking lot surveillance video (fat chance). Or park away, walk a bit more, and deal with it.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this one out:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...cam-setup.html
Old 06-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MartyB
I actually thought about a car cam this past weekend. I have already had a shopping cart scratch my car in a Home Depot parking lot. Also, this weekend I parked on the curb of a Super Walmart and left my wife and kids in the car while I ran in for literally 3 minutes to pickup something. My wife had her window cracked and heard a young hispanic Walmart employee walk by my car shaking his head say "if there weren't people in that car I would run a key all the way down the side of it". He then extended his hand and made a scratching sound while he walked the entire length of the car. Granted, I was improperly parked, but the car was not unattended, was not blocking an entrance or walkway and I was only gone for about 3 minutes. I can't imagine that little ***** threatening to key a Honda Civic for being parked in the same spot. While a car cam might not have helped in these instances, they have made me a little paranoid. To top it off, I just noticed damage this week to the bottom side of the driver door handle on my new Avalanche indicative of someone trying to break into it. The trim was torn and appears to have been pried with a screwdriver. God help the punk I catch in the act of vandalizing my vehicles. Maybe it is best I don't get a camera.
I enjoy driving my car. I like the way looks and handles. I appreciate those who keep their P-cars in concours condition. That said, it's just a car. Is it worth risking your life to confront someone who spends their time vandalizing cars?

Park illegally in any car and you may get unwanted attention. Park illegally in your Porsche and you will be noticed by everyone both good and bad.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this should work!

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812...e.thrower.car/
Old 06-04-2008, 09:55 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad, if you were in Texas a S/W 45 usually resolves this issue.
Abe
Old 06-04-2008, 11:17 PM
JMaples
Advanced

Likewise in Alabama.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:30 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd try this deterrent: http://video.google.com/videosearch?...arch=&start=10
Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the feedback. I will pass on the link from Intheair-looks very promising.

fyi-this happened to her car in a parking lot by her office. Security does not have any video.

Quick Reply: Car Cam