Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone the X-51 on a C4s that would NOT get it again?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 11:22 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Has anyone the X-51 on a C4s that would NOT get it again?

I have no idea how much this option will be on the 09, or when it will be available, which might preclude me from adding it. I is worth the money?

Also, how does the transfer of power to the road compare to a turbo? I would think the turbo would lag at the beginning.

I have seen a couple of posts about strange noises with the X51. I would like to know this isolated.

Thanks for your input
Old 05-04-2008, 09:26 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you are just asking for those who wouldn't have it again, but I would in a heartbeat!

I've read the thread on the buzzing and fortunately that has not happened to me.

I'm not a big fan of the turbo so the C4S with the extra hp and torque that the X51 gives is awesome.

Tony
Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

I am so on the fence on this option as it pushes me into Turbo country. To be honest, I just don't like the way the turbo looks. I know it's the "ultimate" Porsche, no doubt. I'm just not a take on the holes on the side of the car (cowls, whatever).

Also, the PCCB's--on the fence. Especially since I hear they are upgrading the 997 brakes in 09. I can only imagine they are increasing the size of the discs or something along those lines. $8 k is heavy if the difference is not significant for someone who may never track the car. Your thoughts appreciated as you have many of the options I'll be getting.

Cheers~
Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

No complaints about the X-51 here. There are usually a couple on Autotrader and cars.com. You can feel it pulling harder all the way up to 5500 rpm where the torque peak is.

But for about the same money, you really should test drive a turbo. Full leather standard. Limited slip differential. 20% more horsepower is nothing to sneeze at. And it will probably hold its value better than the X51.

And don't forget the GT3. At these prices you should drive them all.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I know it's the "ultimate" Porsche, no doubt.
Not to many of us.

Most guys with PCCBs I know have swapped them out for iron rotors when tracking their cars.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
AndreCT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved the X51 kit. Let me say at the price you will want to test the GT3.. I am not really into 4wd "sports" cars although I can see the logic - so add the turbo to your list. I decided against the turbo, even though it was only $300/mnth more all said and done. I really love the way the X51 allows the engine to rev all the way to red line without running out of "air". And I never had an issue with the resonator flap either that a few have complained about...
Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

I've been convinced by many that the x51 is not the way to go as you don't get much of it back, kind of like buying a pool I guess.

That said, not the biggest fan of the turbo look but the value is there, no doubt. I'll get back as soon as I know more.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Not to many of us.

Most guys with PCCBs I know have swapped them out for iron rotors when tracking their cars.
I would dispute this. Are you talking about 997 owners or 996 GT3 owners?

You should order the PCCBs.

--

I too, am no fan of the look of the Turbos. it's just too much "look at me, look at me!" It's cluttered with grills and crap that detract from the basic good looks. But, I suppose that is what some people want to make them distinctive enough to show off to others.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't meant to say something opposite to Dan's opinion as he knows so much, but my ex-997S had PCCB and current club coupe has red brakes so I can give a comparison. I find that the big reds are more than adequate for the road and the track. PCCB will give a stronger initial bite and makes you "feel" that it stops better. At the end I think both brakes are superior and cannot justify the cost of the PCCB. The only thing I miss is the lack of brake dust. As for the lighter unsprung weight, you can compensate with lighter wheels.

As for X51 which I have on the club coupe, yes, it is slightly faster than a regular S in the mid-range, but not by very much. The facelifted S should have 385 hp which is 4 hp more than the current X51. Not sure how much hp is deemed to be "enough" as everyone has their own standard. I myself felt that the S with 355 hp is more than enough.

I too don't like the look of current turbo as the rear wing looks too funny. If they put the 993TT wing on it I'll buy one in a heartbeat...
Old 05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Not to many of us.

I've run over 1000 track miles with PCCB's and am very happy. 3 sets of pads on the front and 2 sets in back with 41k miles on the car. Another track day next week. I don't see any noticible wear on rotors othet than the fronts no longer have that carbon thread/porosity showing. They appear to have been polished smooth by the pads and heavy track use.

As for X51, the debate rages on. I personally like the added punch at the top of the rev range and the eagerness of the engine. It's better on the track too. I don't believe it's a great value by any stretch but if money is a secondary consideration, it's a very noticible improvement. For what it's worth, my car dyno'd at 337 rear wheel hp which roughly translates to 396 crankshaft HP using 15% drivetrain loss factor. The bump in the torque curve is significant, especially at 5500 rpm.

MC
Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The turbo idea bugs some people. The putative turbo "lag" and the glory of "normally aspirated" whup-*** is appealing compared to the BMW counterpart. I came from a BMW and I bought my car from a Porsche guy like that and I have no complaints about it. The C4S makes it more interesting yet.

I think you just have to find one you can afford and you will probably like it. If money were no object, I would definitely have driven the Turbo and the GT3. But I was stretching to get to here.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:16 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Hi Guys. I'm traveling on biz so slow to get back. The turbo look bothers me to no end, and now that I've peeled out the X-51 (sorry to those who love it), the price differential is nearly $30k. Still not bad.

I am excited about the coming changes to the 997 and need to determine what is available on the new 997 and what is stock on the turbo. The whole comparison excercise will have to happen again once I have full information on both models.

The PCCB's are an interesting topic. I checked out the turbo area of the forum and they were not as enthusiastic about them. The low dust factor is a big deal to me. I am 60/40 on not getting them. If I add a bunch of other stuff like ventilated seats, etc, I may pass. Who knows.

I have been contacted by two dealers saying they have slots for turbos for delivery in July. If this is the case, I may be moved to get the turbo. Timing is very important for a variety of reasons I won't go into now--the sooner the better.

I will get back, but wanted you all to know I've passed on the X and now just considering the 4S and turbo.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:19 PM
WAC
Instructor

I bought my car slightly used for a great price and so I didn't pay full price for the PCCB's. Still having driven cars with and without, on the street and track I like the heck out of them! They do bite harder, allow you to push farther, faster in corners and if you have to stop in a hurry on the street...well they are great brakes. All the 911 brakes are great but PCCB's are amazing. Plus it is really nice not to have to wash dust off your wheels all the time.

Still most people have limits and they are expensive. I'd rather have the brakes than: Bose, Nav, Aero Kit, Thicker Wheel, 19 inch wheels, X51 and quite a few other things...

Good luck figuring out your priorities!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:02 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Tony, you're not helping any, you know. Everytime I make a decision on something, or come close, someone has to chime in and push me back on the line. Buying the car used is a great way to get into them. Would you pay for them new, though? BTW, your car is stunning.

The only comment I would add is that Porsche is upgrading the already stunning standard brakes to something better, supposedly. I don't know what that is yet, but I imagine they are going to be larger.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the X51 package twice, and the ceramics more times than I want to admit. I recommend both, but I would wait for an 09 and see what the PDK and extra power (X51?) offer. It should be good.

Once you experience either (ceramics and X51), you want them. Affordability that is a different issue and, often, unrelated to the merits of the options; but used to rationalize the decision.

Quick Reply: Has anyone the X-51 on a C4s that would NOT get it again?