Sponsored by:

997 / cayman s / GT3 help me decide please

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 04:48 PM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 / cayman s / GT3 help me decide please

****MODS ---- Maybe this belongs in the general discussion forum. I apologize. Please move if needed. thanks ***********

Hi guys. Been lurking here for a little while, actually was a member a LONG time ago (10 years)... previously owned an old 914 as a teenager and then a 944S2 Cab. Favorite car I ever owned actually was my Lancer Evo 8 for pure FUN. Currently driving a mini cooper S convertible, which is great, but was just bought as a temporary car. Currently 37 yrs old, and have the mini, a minivan and new crew cab truck as other cars (all will be kept)

So, here is my dilemna: I can't decide which car is best for ME.
Cayman s
997 (thinking 4S coupe or 4S Targa)
997 GT3

The Evo was my favorite car ever because it was Raw... I am not into luxury. I just like good fun, raw performance. I liked my 944S2Cab because it was gorgeous (I think best looking Porsche of the past 30 years) and easy to drive fast, and definitely DIFFERENT (not a car you see very often).

Ok, so here is my thinking:
997 4s: I like the idea of it, but then I start thinking... I have a fundamental issue with the engine being in the rear (its just a mental block.. it seems Porsche has spent 50+ years engineering to compensate for a flawed design, instead of starting with a sound design and then spending 50+ years improving it). WHen I test drove, it felt a little to big and luxurious for me... like driving the ultimate sport-coupe.. not a sports car (I guess what folks call a GT, right?). I am not sure its the right car for me. but I love AWD because I actually like the handling (I know some don't ) and I like th confidence in rain (in norcal, we get a fair amount of rain)

Cayman S: I like the design andstyling better.. but I can't get over the mental immaturity (my own) that says "you own the CHEAP porsche"... I just have that stuck in my head. But the weight, performance, everything about it seems a better fit for me??? remember, I like raw cars, smaller, lighter, more tossible, not so much into luxury or big HP or speed. I like canyon runs at 60MPH, not straight line blasts at 150MPH. I wish it had AWD though...

997 GT3: Have NOT driven one yet. But I can tell you right now: I don't need 400+ HP. I am not an expert driver. BUT, what gets me about the GT3 is that from everything I have heard or read, its raw...it probably would give me the feeling I want. But , all that engine is kind of overkill for me... but I like the "stripped down" nature of it .. that is how I like a car. But, darn it, no AWD and 400+ HP sounds like a recipe for disaster for me. Maybe its just more car than I will ever use... but who cares if I actually ENJOY it. ??? I dunno.

I have never tracked a car... but I intend on starting. I live close enough to a couple tracks to spend a little time with it, take some driving courses, etc. I WILL do it... but its not the primary reason I am buying the car. The primary use will be driving easy on foothill roads and the occasional long spirited mountain drive (a couple times per month probably).

So, which car is best for me? I posting in 997 forum because seems a lot of you have well rounded experience with all 3 cars I am talking about.. hoping to get input from all angles.

My gut says Cayman, my ego says GT3, my logical side says 4S for that all wheather safety...

Please ask me questions, give me advise, tell me your thought and slap me into shape.

FYI money is not an issue... A 997 GT3 is well within budget... but if a cayman S gives me more fun, then its always better to spend less!!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Vitamin_J
Rennlist Member

After reading through, I really think you have a true dilemna. Mitigating compromise is difficult for any informed buyer.

The Cayman is definitely out as there is nothing worse than feeling like you bought 'the cheap/wrong/inadequate car'. If you feel this way now it will intensify when the honeymoon is over. I agree that the 911 is a bit lux. As I too am in my mid-30's I really appreciate the 'quality' feel over my Ferrari and Viper. My car is not a track machine and the 'extra sporty' ride of the other brands doesn't bode well when you are taking the significant other out on Saturday night.

For me, the Targa fit the bill. For you, I can only wish for a moment of personal wisdom. As anyone on this board is going to be biased by his/her personal choice.

Good luck. And remember, its just a car. Close your eyes and picture the first one in your mind. That is probably the jewel or the one you will regret the least a few months from now.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

in my mind, I picture the GT3 as being the car that FITS me. I imagine it giving me the same feeling the Evo gave me.. that its just me and machine, the car is part of me, I am part of the car, its exhilarating and "feels fast" whether going 30mph on 100mph or 150mph on a track, I imagine it just feeling the way I think a car should feel. Which is a little coarse and rough and raw and mechanical. The one thing I don't like about it is I really don't need that much HP and I wish it had AWD (again, I like AWD handling, even thought others say its not as "pure".)

But I have not driven one, so it could just be all my imagination... maybe I am just buying into the hype basis what I read about them and the sound and look...?? that is my fear.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really, the Cayman out?

I think there are a lot of things going on here. If you have NEVER tracked a car before, I am not sure that jumping right in with a GT3 is the way to go. Perfect track car . . . perhaps more difficult to learn in from the beginning.

I think the 4S would be the worst car IF you plan to track AND you like raw. It is the furthest thing from raw.

If I were you, I would consider buying a used Cayman or Cayman S. Less HP than a GT3 but more than enough to learn with AND a great track toy. Ask Mooty. If you get a used one, you would probably feel more confident pushing a little, and it would be a great learning platform. If you decide that the track is not for you, you can sell it for relatively little lost (assuming you bought it used to begin with). If you decide that you love the track and have outgrown the Cayman or Cayman S, then you can go get a GT3. They will still be around.

The lower the HP and the lower the cost, the easier it is to learn in the beginning.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:56 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

After reading your post, are you sure that a Porsche is the car for you? You made an argument against the 997 and Cayman. As a matter of fact the car you seem to like best is the EVO: The Evo was my favorite car ever because it was Raw... I am not into luxury. I just like good fun, raw performance.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Dirty Evo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fast1
After reading your post, are you sure that a Porsche is the car for you? You made an argument against the 997 and Cayman. As a matter of fact the car you seem to like best is the EVO: The Evo was my favorite car ever because it was Raw... I am not into luxury. I just like good fun, raw performance.

I have thought A LOT about that. Point well taken. No I am not 100% sure actually. I am considering Fcars (360), Nissan GTR, even another Evo, Audi RS4....

But in the end, I keep coming back to the Porsche. I DID love that Evo, but the 914 and 944 I had were GREAT (especially the 914). ANd frankly, as I get older and have more money, I want to finally buy my "dream car". I never dreamed of Ferraris or Audis or vettes or certainly not any Japanese cars (I didn't know what an Evo was until the day I bought it... not into the whole "import scene"). But I always loved Porsches, always wanted to own them when I "grew up"... and lets be honest, I loved my evo, but come on, I KNOW that ANY Porsche is a BETTER CAR than an Evo. No Doubt. And I want BETTER. ALways been a huge fan of VW and PORSCHE.. I don't know why, but from the time I was about 10 years old.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:04 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

You do realize that in many ways the Cayman is the current version of the 944. maybe that should play into your decision.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
968PORSCHE
Instructor

Cayman S or an R-8
Old 05-01-2008, 06:35 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Get an RS America. Far more raw than you'll get in any new car and still plenty of car to have fun on the track.

Decisions Decisions ........
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Didn't read anything but the three choices

GT3!
Old 05-01-2008, 06:47 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Evo
in my mind, I picture the GT3 as being the car that FITS me. I imagine it giving me the same feeling the Evo gave me.. that its just me and machine, the car is part of me, I am part of the car, its exhilarating and "feels fast" whether going 30mph on 100mph or 150mph on a track, I imagine it just feeling the way I think a car should feel. Which is a little coarse and rough and raw and mechanical. The one thing I don't like about it is I really don't need that much HP and I wish it had AWD (again, I like AWD handling, even thought others say its not as "pure".)

But I have not driven one, so it could just be all my imagination... maybe I am just buying into the hype basis what I read about them and the sound and look...?? that is my fear.

Dirty Evo,

I generally tend to have different view points from the people on this board and as such I pipe in rarely, i.e. the stupid "Hater" thread that refuses to bloody die.

So having said that here I go.

The three cars you mention my friend are engineered to be different, vastly. The GT3 is a track car with plates and judging by the fact that you have never been to a track before the GT3 is absolutely not for you, maybe in the future. The 911 4S and S which you fail to mention, are plenty fast and plenty capable and thanks to modern electronics can offer luxury and track. Lastly, I happen to be a big fan of the Cayman S and it is a much more balanced and forgiving than our beloved 911s, and is slower than the 911S because Porsche intended it that way due to sales and marketing strategy.

I started my track career in a 993. Looking back on it was a big mistake. Today I would be a more capable and a better driver if I started in a more neutral car, ie Cayman S, M3..........

You seem to be pro 4 - wheel drive? Why? Learn to slide a little it does wonders for car control and confidence.

Anyway, I am of on a tangent. I think you drive the 911 4S and the Cayman S, but look at some of the other cars you mentioned. Only driving them will really tell you. Drive what fits you and your needs, No Porsche is "inadequate" and screw anyone who looks you up and down because what you drive. You by it for you not for anyone else. These cars are all very fun and very capable and will provide tons thrills. You will find guys that race Miatas are probably much faster and better than half the douche bags that spend $100K and think they can buy ability. My favorite is when old 911s or Boxsters kick the crap out of brand new GT3s. Anyway best of luck with your decision but don't be the guy that buys a car that will be too fast to ever learn correctly on and will never properly use just not to be inadequate.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by agdamis
Dirty Evo,

I generally tend to have different view points from the people on this board and as such I pipe in rarely, i.e. the stupid "Hater" thread that refuses to bloody die.

So having said that here I go.

The three cars you mention my friend are engineered to be different, vastly. The GT3 is a track car with plates and judging by the fact that you have never been to a track before the GT3 is absolutely not for you, maybe in the future. The 911 4S and S which you fail to mention, are plenty fast and plenty capable and thanks to modern electronics can offer luxury and track. Lastly, I happen to be a big fan of the Cayman S and it is a much more balanced and forgiving than our beloved 911s, and is slower than the 911S because Porsche intended it that way due to sales and marketing strategy.

I started my track career in a 993. Looking back on it was a big mistake. Today I would be a more capable and a better driver if I started in a more neutral car, ie Cayman S, M3..........

You seem to be pro 4 - wheel drive? Why? Learn to slide a little it does wonders for car control and confidence.

Anyway, I am of on a tangent. I think you drive the 911 4S and the Cayman S, but look at some of the other cars you mentioned. Only driving them will really tell you. Drive what fits you and your needs, No Porsche is "inadequate" and screw anyone who looks you up and down because what you drive. You by it for you not for anyone else. These cars are all very fun and very capable and will provide tons thrills. You will find guys that race Miatas are probably much faster and better than half the douche bags that spend $100K and think they can buy ability. My favorite is when old 911s or Boxsters kick the crap out of brand new GT3s. Anyway best of luck with your decision but don't be the guy that buys a car that will be too fast to ever learn correctly on and will never properly use just not to be inadequate.
Well, I personally wish that guys like you chimed in more often. I agree with every single word you posted.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Really, the Cayman out?

I think there are a lot of things going on here. If you have NEVER tracked a car before, I am not sure that jumping right in with a GT3 is the way to go. Perfect track car . . . perhaps more difficult to learn in from the beginning.

I think the 4S would be the worst car IF you plan to track AND you like raw. It is the furthest thing from raw.

If I were you, I would consider buying a used Cayman or Cayman S. Less HP than a GT3 but more than enough to learn with AND a great track toy. Ask Mooty. If you get a used one, you would probably feel more confident pushing a little, and it would be a great learning platform. If you decide that the track is not for you, you can sell it for relatively little lost (assuming you bought it used to begin with). If you decide that you love the track and have outgrown the Cayman or Cayman S, then you can go get a GT3. They will still be around.

The lower the HP and the lower the cost, the easier it is to learn in the beginning.

Just my two cents.
I think TD pretty well nailed it here, but I'll add one more possibility. If you really like it raw, what about buying a 964 as a track car, and then something else as a daily driver?
Old 05-01-2008, 06:54 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not buy the new Evo 10?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:13 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Cayman S is out. I will rather buy a Boxster S with the same horsepower, open top at a cheaper price.

GT3 is the ultimate track car, but front bumper a bit low, stiffer suspension and no rear seats.

Targa 4S should give you enough track pleasure, but is more comfortable for daily use.

If you like 4WD and high speed, how about the 997 Turbo?

Quick Reply: 997 / cayman s / GT3 help me decide please