Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with all the Hating?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Jlangmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had no bad experiences yet. There are very clearly though a pile of people who need to race or otherwise show off. I cannot go on the freeway without someone in a BMW gunning it past me, or trying to. For every one of these, there at at least 10 or 20 cars that slow, crane their necks around and stare. I have seen far more thumbs raised to me than middle fingers (none yet!). I am about an hour from the nearest Porsche dealer, and Canadian prices approach the European prices closer than the US values. That makes them a bit rare here.

Some people are just rude. I can't believe the road rage I see in middle aged women drivers let alone the post-adolescent males. Just this morning some lady in a toyota was getting into it with a couple of older ladies who had the nerve to walk slowly through a parking lot and block her exit.

There is a huge entitlement crowd out there that does not understand the value and subsequent rewards of hard work. Unionized work kills the work ethic, prevents advancement based on merit, and teaches people that things happen based on who you know, not what you know. Witnessing someone driving a Porsche will always bring out the worst in these folks.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:55 PM
swajames
Racer

As a former BMW owner I feel entitled to reinforce the stereotype, but on the few occasions that I ever see the kind of behavior described by the OP when I'm in the 997 (cutting in front, trying to prompt races, lame flybys etc) it's almost invariably some idiot in a BMW that's the culprit...
Old 04-28-2008, 05:41 AM
eljeffo64
Racer

Originally Posted by Jlangmd
I have had no bad experiences yet. There are very clearly though a pile of people who need to race or otherwise show off. I cannot go on the freeway without someone in a BMW gunning it past me, or trying to. For every one of these, there at at least 10 or 20 cars that slow, crane their necks around and stare. I have seen far more thumbs raised to me than middle fingers (none yet!). I am about an hour from the nearest Porsche dealer, and Canadian prices approach the European prices closer than the US values. That makes them a bit rare here.

Some people are just rude. I can't believe the road rage I see in middle aged women drivers let alone the post-adolescent males. Just this morning some lady in a toyota was getting into it with a couple of older ladies who had the nerve to walk slowly through a parking lot and block her exit.

There is a huge entitlement crowd out there that does not understand the value and subsequent rewards of hard work. Unionized work kills the work ethic, prevents advancement based on merit, and teaches people that things happen based on who you know, not what you know. Witnessing someone driving a Porsche will always bring out the worst in these folks.
Quite right! - Luckily here in France we only seem to suffer from the BMW problem and not too much of the rest. If I was driving around in a fully optioned John Deere it might be another matter though.... (just kidding).

On the "entitlement crowd" thing - they all tell you how lucky you are to have a job paying great salaries - I remind them that the harder I worked the luckier I got!!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have wanted to drive a Porsche for the last 30 years, I've been lucky to drive a few. I have experianced the STi/Evo driver, hell even the race ready civic wants to give me a run every time I pull up to a stop sign. But you know what~~~ I bought the car for me to drive!! To drive like a porsche, for the thrill of driving. That doesn't mean racing it on the streets but it does mean that I enjoy the spirt of driving. Give me the twisties, the top down on a beautiful afternoon.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:36 PM
eqs
Advanced

I'm with you there pbarch1. For me, actually any chance I have to drive is a good day as I refuse to drive my other vehicles now as they all seem "broken" in comparison. Nowadays I actually want to have a reason to go out in the car now.

And yes, top always down, and flash other Pcars.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Nobody bothers me in the 911. The Evo, however, gets far more unwanted attention.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

I have finally gotten a moment to get back to this thread. I think it's one of the better threads in some time under the 997 forum.

I hope you don't come away from my first posting as meaning that you can't enjoy your Porsche,--we should. But just don't be goaded into street racing with the kid the next lane over.

I've been fortunate to be driving these cars a long time and have witnessed not only the change in the owners, but the changes going on with all those who surround us on the highways. Perhaps that change is the more significant. People are more obnoxious than ever before, and there seems to be less consideration for others. I like to change the mindset many times when I let others cross in front , or let others go ahead,--because is less expected from a Porsche pilot.

Flog 'em if you got 'em!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
My sentiments exactly Bigs.

I for one enjoy opening up the 997 on the rare occasions I take it out on the road. I'm a very aggressive individual by nature and my driving is no different. To others I'm a daring risk taker, but I like to think of myself as a calculated risk taker. I suppose I'll mellow out with age, but so far all age has done is sharpen my calculations of risk analysis in an instant that allows me to go for it when the opportunity arises.

I seldom stay below the speed limit and on occasion enjoy blasting through the gears and easily topping over 100 mph on open stretches of urban pavement. I must admit that on more than one occasion I have taken up the challenge to a "contest of speed" and easily - and I might add gratifyingly - blown the doors off the challenger who wasn't aware of the power and speed of the 997S. These of course were calculated risks in open stretches of roadway where it was safe to do so. But I enjoy the thrill of risk taking. That's just me.

Do I sometimes **** off other drivers with my driving? I'm sure I do. But most of the time it's likely stemming from jealousy, and I really don't give a rat's *** what others think. But I do make a conscientious effort to be courteous and not deliberately cut someone off or do other rude forms of driving behavior. Road rage being what it is in the LA area, most of us who live here know better than to incite it. But that doesn't stop me from occasionally redlining in second gear, even if it appears to others I am showing off. I just love the sound of that sweet 3.8 when she screams - what can I say.

There is a certain advantage you have on the road when you're behind the wheel of a powerful sportscar. You know it. And others know it. And it's not just in speed, but in accident avoidance capability as well.

So let others think what they may. You bought a Porsche for its capability. Don't ever let others intimidate you into driving conservatively, and not enjoying what you paid for.
I was coming home from CA the other day. Decided to take the 2 lane service road through Baker and Pahrump. No one in sight...anywhere.

A Buck Twenty (Okay, Thirty)+. Awesome.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I think driving any performance car brings out the worst in some other drivers around you.
I've never seen it as a reaction to me, more like a juvenile need to show off how fast their car is…whether it's a Subaru, a Honda, or an M3.
This is not a phenomenon specific only to Porsches.
Strangest phenomenon with me...It seems to be the pick-up trucks that want to race me. I can't for the life of me figure out why though. Off the line, on the freeways, doesn't matter where.

They have no chance, and I don't race them.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:42 PM
eqs
Advanced

That makes a lot more sense to me now Edgy01. I was thinking you were a garage queen conservative type of guy with your shoes tied a little too tight, but I like your last comment "Flog 'em if you got 'em!"

What is kind of insulting is that some Pcar owners look down at other Pcar owners because they think they are better because they have the latest and greatest and look at me I'm better than you attitude .... that attitude su_ks imo. Nobody cares how much you paid, but they will like you if you let them drive your car so they can experience that P magic too.

Any Pcar owner is a good guy/girl as they have found out that Pcars are cars that can be daily drivers that love to be driven the way Dr P intended. Alot of other cars can't do this very well. Dr P's underlying premise was very good -he's very smart and found a very good niche.

Anyways, enough ..... Have a great day and thanks for reposting, Pcar's are meant to be enjoyed, but yes, always in a safe manner. Hey, I've got a wife and kids too.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2008, 03:49 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't buy the hating us because they are jealous line of reasoning. In my experience, the nicest people are those who are least likely to get a Porsche. They are more likely to give you a thumbs up and say "nice car."

The biggest reason why I think that modern p-car owners are hassled is because the water-pumpers are, at least in urban areas, (1) ubiquitous and, frequently, (2) obnoxious.

I love racing and track days. I actually despise driving on the public streets. If I could avoid it entirely, I would. But I see more assinine behaviour from drivers of modern Porsches (myself included, on occasion) than I do from too many other types of cars (actually, Prius drivers in the DC area give them a good run for their money). Too many people (1) place their own "pleasure" above courtesy and (2)highly overestimate their own driving skills. Also, what seems fine for us really stresses out other drivers who are not expecting someone to come flying by at triple digits or to weave in and out of traffic or threshold brake to every traffic light or stop sign. Hell, I have been told that I intimidate people by merely heel-toeing and rev-matching. Not my intent, but knowing how it is perceived makes me choose not to do so if there is a chance that I will scare a pedestrian.

Of course I am no angel . . . but I know what I am doing when I drive "in a sporty manner" (i.e., breaking the law) and I try to go out of my way to be courteous to other drivers (and I don't always succeed there either). But the world doesn't revolve around us, fellas, and we should drive responsibly not out of any duty to others (i.e., to protect the reputation of other Porsche drivers) but rather out of personal responsibility.

If you are aggressive and love to flog the car, try a DE. Great outlet for blowing off steam.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
Strangest phenomenon with me...It seems to be the pick-up trucks that want to race me. I can't for the life of me figure out why though. Off the line, on the freeways, doesn't matter where.

They have no chance, and I don't race them.
The dirty looks I get while at a light come 99% of the time from a white dude in a pick-up. Hes lookin over at me drooling baccy juice out of a corner of his pie hole and this "hey eff you " scowl on his face. Peels out at the green and spits out the window...Ive learned to stay far behind these sub-humans. Women , hispanics or black people do not give me bad vibes...invariably its a white red-neck with a chip on his shoulder.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oddly enough (apparently), I've only been "challenged" a couple of times in over three years of daily driving. The first was by a very persistent M3 driver (who was not pleased when I finally turned and laughed at him), and the second by a group of kids in a red civic.

Maybe it's driving style? I almost always hover around the speed limit in town and I'm very polite about letting people in, etc. I don't get much of a thrill out of darting in and out of traffic and I only open her up on empty stretches of road.

Or maybe it's just the S owners.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Interestingly enough; since I've been in Ohio- I've encountered this mentality of 'cutting off' or trying to 'shut me down' when trying to merge- a LOT more often; And I'm not driving a Porsche; but my MB EClass.

Back in New England- I can't remember someone ever trying to not let me merge or cut me off b/c I was driving a Benz.

I think it has a lot to do with envy and some sort of twisted self-entitlement.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:03 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
My sentiments exactly Bigs.

I for one enjoy opening up the 997 on the rare occasions I take it out on the road. I'm a very aggressive individual by nature and my driving is no different. To others I'm a daring risk taker, but I like to think of myself as a calculated risk taker. I suppose I'll mellow out with age, but so far all age has done is sharpen my calculations of risk analysis in an instant that allows me to go for it when the opportunity arises.

I seldom stay below the speed limit and on occasion enjoy blasting through the gears and easily topping over 100 mph on open stretches of urban pavement. I must admit that on more than one occasion I have taken up the challenge to a "contest of speed" and easily - and I might add gratifyingly - blown the doors off the challenger who wasn't aware of the power and speed of the 997S. These of course were calculated risks in open stretches of roadway where it was safe to do so. But I enjoy the thrill of risk taking. That's just me.

Do I sometimes **** off other drivers with my driving? I'm sure I do. But most of the time it's likely stemming from jealousy, and I really don't give a rat's *** what others think. But I do make a conscientious effort to be courteous and not deliberately cut someone off or do other rude forms of driving behavior. Road rage being what it is in the LA area, most of us who live here know better than to incite it. But that doesn't stop me from occasionally redlining in second gear, even if it appears to others I am showing off. I just love the sound of that sweet 3.8 when she screams - what can I say.

There is a certain advantage you have on the road when you're behind the wheel of a powerful sportscar. You know it. And others know it. And it's not just in speed, but in accident avoidance capability as well.

So let others think what they may. You bought a Porsche for its capability. Don't ever let others intimidate you into driving conservatively, and not enjoying what you paid for.
You. Are a douche.

That, that's what I think.

Quick Reply: What's with all the Hating?