Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Infant car seat for newborn (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/426345-infant-car-seat-for-newborn.html)

blackswan1 04-26-2008 05:17 AM

Infant car seat for newborn

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys this is my first post and I did search the threads for car seats and everyone seems to be using Britax Monarch for the 18 month+ old children.

I'm expecting my first child in mid June and I was wondering about an infant car seat for the rear seat. I live in California (might be relevant with different state laws). Is there a good substitution for the Porsche infant child seat?

This is my car.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce R 04-27-2008 09:53 AM

This what you need brother!

1 Attachment(s)
Taken 4 years ago when the Porker was my daly driver. Since then both Isabella's sisters have used the same seat on random occations.

ozcav 04-27-2008 05:44 PM

There are no rear facing infant car seats that fit in the back seat. Not even Porsche. Most will fit in the front seat. (Actually you can technically make a few fit but the front passenger would need to be under 4' tall and willing to bend over the dash while in the seat.) For the rear seat you have to wait until they are one and can go forward facing.

blackswan1 04-27-2008 09:46 PM

Ozcav, thanks for the info. I had thought the Porsche infant seat would fit in the rear seat. I was hoping I could take my wife and child in style in the Porsche.

My wife made it perfectly clear she will not tolerate the baby being in the front seat and her being squeezed into the rear seats. :-/

I guess as a family we are stuck going to places in her Civic. Yeah... I do feel guilty having a Porsche and she having a Civic.

tarheeljim 04-28-2008 12:05 PM

Sorry, but ozcav is exactly right. You have to use the front seat. I had the LATCH system installed in my front seat and it worked great, but not much room in the back for the Mrs.

For what it's worth, you're going to have another decision between the 1 year/20 pound mark and 18 months. The security of the Britax seat may leave you less than satisfied (as it did me), and your child may not work in the Porsche rear seat until 18 months. The front piece that holds the baby in place is too high for small 1 year babies/toddlers.

My baby with a Porsche experience was actually better up to the 1 year mark. I would just keep the car seat base (Britax) in the trunk with the seat protector and the latches. I'd connect the latches and insert the seat when I needed to transport the baby. Of course, we'd always take the Cayenne when the three of us were traveling together.

geof 09-18-2011 01:25 AM

My wife and I are expecting our first born in just a few weeks (yikes!) and my wife found a rear-facing infant car seat that will fit in the back of a 997. It is the Maxi Cosi Mico- a model popular in Europe that has recently made it's way to the US. (I guess car seats have adapted to the smaller cars found over there.) She found it via the video below. I haven't bought it yet but decided to put this find here.

andrewinla 09-24-2011 01:28 PM

Have the Maxi Cosi Mico and it is a great seat. But no 911 yet so I can't tell you about fit in a 911.
It comes in cool colors and there is a bluejay one that wouldmlook great in yours (OP).

acao 09-24-2011 10:55 PM

The current recommendation is that children remain rear facing for 2 years, not 1.

kitwetzler 09-25-2011 01:16 AM

I've found that most of the older style infant seats that only go up to 22lbs fit fine. However, they are getting hard to find. I had a Graco that fit in my 996 cab's rear seat, but like other's have said, my wife was pretty squished up in front. the Porsche seat will fit in the rear, but has the same problem as other seats, which is that they force the front seat too far forward. Best to just wait until your kid can sit forward facing.