Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Want to take a road trip - Vermont? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/421369-want-to-take-a-road-trip-vermont.html)

E55AMG 04-03-2008 03:38 PM

Want to take a road trip - Vermont?

Was going to take the wife and kids away while they're off in a couple of weeks but wife can't leave her office - so, I figured maybe i'd take 3-4 days and do a road trip by myself.

Owning a nice car in the NY metro area is torture so looking to see some nice scenery, little traffic and fewer cops :icon107: Actually considered flying somwhere and shipping the car to my destination and driving home. A less ambitious trip would be to stay in the northeast where I could drive both there and back.

Have been doing some reading and it looks like Vermont might be a good place to do this. Probably wouldn't take 3-4 days to do this but maybe 2-3. If I flew somewhere then I'd take longer.

So, any one familiar with Vermont's roads? Other suggestions would be appreciated. Not that I would speed, but how's the law enforcement there?

CBejbl 04-03-2008 07:42 PM

Route 17, the Appalachian Gap will put a smile on your face. :)

evmohn 04-03-2008 07:43 PM

Kangamangus (sp?) Hwy if I recall... White Mts. Better in Sep/Oct but what GREAT Roads!

CBejbl 04-03-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by evmohn (Post 5279281)
Kangamangus (sp?) Hwy if I recall... White Mts. Better in Sep/Oct but what GREAT Roads!

The Kank is in NH. Nice enough road, but heavily travelled.

NYNick 04-03-2008 08:03 PM

16 inches of snow around Queechee last week....better check before you go!

MJones 04-03-2008 08:08 PM

The Connecticut River Byway looks interesting..
vermont-byways
Go South to VT State Route 9 then West to US 7 and head back North
Could be an interesting loop RT...
Something I'd try!

cello 04-03-2008 08:54 PM

Rte 100 above Rte 4 up and past Sugarbush is a nice drive. The road along the Lake up to Middlebury College is a nice drive as well.

The roads are good (twisty,etc) but the general problem is they are one lane and getting behind a truck, et al., is a drag.

But if you want a very nice place to stay and some good driving in local proximity, visit Twin Farms in Barnard (www.twinfarms.com). We go for New Years mostly, but have been there in a couple of different seasons and the place is consistently great. Windey hilly area surrounds and Woodstock is a nice town (but you will not want or need to leave TF once there :) ). This summer will be the first year taking a Porsche up - cannot wait!

ELUSIVE 04-03-2008 10:13 PM

Man, you guys are making me miss home!
Born and raised in Shelburne.

Arnzo 04-03-2008 11:29 PM

Rt. 100 will take you through many great spots and also some classic old VT farm country (and a few trailers). Stowe is our second home and I would highly recommend a stop there. If you decide to go later in the year, the drive up Rt 108 past Mt. Mansfield through the notch is grand. Top Notch is a nice hotel in Stowe with a great spa. Warren VT near Sugarbush (south of Stowe) is a nice stop. Stay at the Picture Inn and grab a cup of coffee at the Warren Store.

E55AMG 04-04-2008 09:56 AM

thanks for everyone's tips. I'm either going to do VT or a buddy told me yesterday that he is going to a track event at summit point in a few weeks. If there is an opening I may do that and take a couple of days in the WV, VA area, blue ridge parkway, etc.

Only concern is I Heard VA is a Nazi state as far as traffic enforcement?

damoncooper 04-05-2008 12:58 PM

Just vmake sure you have your front and back laser defuser installed and working for any lomg trips. Can't count the number of times I've been glad for the extra 4-5 seconds to ensure the nice officer gets a reading that is the legal limit :)

Damon

Circe 04-05-2008 03:11 PM

Rt 100, Stowe, Mt. Mansfield, the notch all are #1. Be careful at the notch, it's tight! We do that every October. You'll enjoy it. One thing I've been meaning to do is pit stop at Ben and Jerry's and take the tour.