clear bra (3m film or other) question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 10:57 AM
ceresma
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default clear bra (3m film or other) question

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with these protective films? I didn't put one on my 04 s4 cab and now I have stone chips. How does the film look? Which is the best product? What parts of the car did you cover (entire hood etc?)
Thanks I'm new to the list and Porsche geting my 997 next week so I'd like to do it right!
Mark
Old 03-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I do have a clear bra or paint protection film. New films are very clear and can be more difficult to see unless close up to the car.

As for installation, it depends on where you are. There are some very good installers, but you have to see the work first if your dealer does not refer you to one.

In California, Premier is the best to go with. They have the most experience in film on Porsche vehicles and their work is flawless! They also a member of Rennlist.

The first thing, repair all stone chips. Once done, hood and fenders all should be polished to marring free finish, no swirls, hairline scratches etc. Once polished, prior to application, a wipe-down with "IPA" Isopropyl Alcohol to remove any oils and to get the finish free of fingerprints etc. Then, they install the film.

Once on, it can takes weeks for all bubbles or slight dullness to migrate out of the fim as it cures.

To maintain it, wax or seal it as you normally would, however, waxes sometimes can yellow, making the film look bad. Also, tape off the edge so nothing gets in there. If it does, a small steam cleaner at the seam can remove dirt,wax, debris and carefully wiped out.

Mostly, I just use Plexus or other "plastic" cleaner/polishes on the film. 303 works well too.

Best investment I have on the car as it keeps it looking new. After several years, it can be removed and replaced or just left off with no ill effects. Normally it takes a heat gun to remove it and an adhesive remover to take off any remaining adhesive.

Regards,

Deanski
Old 03-23-2008, 11:59 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experiences are it's less visible on some colors than others - I had it put on my '99 996 I bought new in Kalifornia. The car was silver and it didn't show unless you looked very hard. On my '07 Cab in midnight blue it looked like hell and there was an obvious line where it started. I passed when they offered it on my '08 Targa, also midnight blue.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:16 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

As Deanski mentioned. It comes down to the installation. From what we are seeing, the full hood is a must. Many customers that covered only half the hood, would come back to get the full hood as more and more chips are showing up beyond the halfway point. Areas directly behind the tires are a must too in addition to the frontal areas: fenders, mirrors, lights, and front bumper. This here shows how important the installer is - this car in particular had the entire hood and whole fenders done, but theh installer went and put some permanent razor marks onto the car - this car was done in Socal through a dealership. The customer had it done twice and was very tolerant of it, but when the same issues arose, he gave us a call to have it redone. This was when we realized there were some deep razor cuts on the paint.
Attached Images    
Spectra PhotoSync IRD - Highest heat blocking window film in industry
Authorized Modesta and Nanolex Dealer

Checkout our Youtube Channel!
Premier's Youtube

B: 510-623-1308
42630 Christy St, Fremont, CA 94538
sales@premiermobilegroup.com
http://www.facebook.com/premierprotectivefilms

Old 03-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Premier
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Deanski, it looks like you have much knowledge w/ the product / installation - you should set up a satellite location of Premier in your area!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Premier
Deanski, it looks like you have much knowledge w/ the product / installation - you should set up a satellite location of Premier in your area!
At this time, due to economics in our area it may be difficult to offer even an obvious exceptional product line. There are a few installers/dealers of film who have a good hold on most high-end dealers etc.

I've also had issues with retention of personnel due to the market conditions. Most leave, then start-up as detailers out of their cars, charge less and still provide a good service due to the training they've had.

I do hope that someone in our area will offer the Premier line of products and experience along with it.

Thank you for your support!

Maybe one day it can happen.

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: clear bra (3m film or other) question