Sponsored by:

Black Dash Top?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968PORSCHE
I heard that it's attached with sacrificial $100 bills.

Apparently many hours of labor to remove acording to some on this forum. This problem keeps me from looking at many otherwise perfectly good cars. If you call the dealer for the labor cost, why don't you post it on here? It would be interesting to know if this is really an expensive problem or not.
Good suggestion, I'll be sure to get a "lump-sum" price before I launch.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My best idea is for you to go to a window tint shop and install a 9" ( more or less) strip of dark window tinting across the bottom of the windshield. You will have to play with the width based on how tall you are and where you sit. Practice with duct tape and then you will know.

This idea is courtesy of Frank Fahey Motorsports, who developed and uses it in sunny Southern California. Frank has done this to my BMW ( about 5 " required because of the different angle) to cut the glare off the hood. He has also done an upper strip to augment the sunvisor. You do not have to go too dark, just as dark as the side window tint or a little darker. You can still see through it yet it is barely noticeable from outside the car.

Compared to butchering the full leather interior with a local upholstery shop, this will be cheap and reversible. It won't kill your resale either.

The outside photo shows that this is fairly discreet from the outside. The inside view shows you how well the lower strip masks the glare from the hood and the upper masks the glare from the sun. On the 997 with the steeper angle, you would probably need to go wider, but you could still see through or over it easily. This strip is about the same tint as the side rear windows.
Attached Images   

Last edited by sclemmons; 03-14-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Promised pictures of bi-focal solution up in post above.

I could see this working on a 997. Favorable return on investment vs. a new dashboard, surely.

Quick Reply: Black Dash Top?