Sponsored by:

It was bound to happen...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It was bound to happen...

Ran into Staples to pick up some supplies. As usual I took great care to find a good parking spot. Came out less than 5 minutes later to find my right-side rear bumper scraped up by some passing vehicle. I'm not surprised, but it's darn inconsiderate of people to damage somebody elses property and run off. It KILLS ME as I love this car.....

More paint then structural damage, so I need to find a good body / paint shop around Newport Beach. Any recommendations?

John
Old 03-04-2008, 06:38 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks.....sorry man
Old 03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry to hear of that. It is crazy out there, and I think parking lots are the riskiest places to be in our cars, both while driving and while parked.

I'd enquire where the dealer gets work done, and perhaps Phillips Auto since they sell a lot of used P-cars. There are a ton of bumper repair shops in OC. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes with whoever you choose.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 PM
MartyB
Racer

John,
If you jump on it quickly you might be able to get security video of the parking lot. If a license plate can be identified, it sure would be nice to have the at fault party pay for the damage. A little hit and run charge might be in order as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Knock on wood it has not happened to me yet...but being the realist I am I know its comin. Damn inconsiderate sons a bitches. I park at the south end every time hopin some q-tip wont hit me or a mom with 4 kids fightin and not lookin while shes negotiating the parking lot. Hope your repair works out.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
am722
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little hit and run charge might be in order as well.
That would be sweet, sweet justice. I assume the store probably doesn't just hand the tapes over as a matter of course, though. Police intervention or a subpoena might be necessary.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check with dealer for best shops in the area. They do a lot of business w minor scrapes, dings in transit
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MartyB
John,
If you jump on it quickly you might be able to get security video of the parking lot. If a license plate can be identified, it sure would be nice to have the at fault party pay for the damage. A little hit and run charge might be in order as well.

Good idea.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Tinluver
Instructor

Very hard to keep a car nice out there.Now it is really broken in and you will enjoy it even more!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
JDude
Intermediate

Sterling Collision. Ask for Silvia. You can drop the car off at the Sterling BMW on PCH near Newport Blvd. I've had to take my car there twice in the last two months for similar problems and have been very happy. My insurance co. told me this is where Newport Beach Porsche takes their cars. I thought the prices were very reasonable (even though I didn't have to pay). Its worth the trip to pick up the car in Tustin (where they do the work) just to see the other cars they are working on (lots of exotics).
Old 03-04-2008, 07:59 PM
JDude
Intermediate

plus, that Staples parking lot (I assume you went to the one on 17th St) is chaos!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 PM
JMA
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that NB Porsche uses Sterling BMW's body shop located just South of the Sterling BMW dealership on PCH in NB. I have never had them do P-car work, but they have repaired my wife's Bimmer a couple of times and I have been very impressed with the results...not an easy color to match (a metallic burgandy) and I can't tell no matter how hard I look.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

Thanks for all for the suggestions and support.

Marty, I didn't think about the cameras, but I parked a good distance from Staples (to avoid getting hit) and so I'm not confident that their surveillance system would have captured any details of the hit and run.

JDude & JMA, I called Newport Auto and they said to go to Sterling. It was bugging me to no end (crazy, eh) that I ditched part of work and went to get an estimate there and a couple of other referrals. Estimates ranged from $1200 to $600 to just respray the bumper (no replacement parts or other fixes). I guess when you roll in with a Porsche, the register rings. Aside from the $s, they're all telling me 5 to 7 business days to get it done... now that's going to hurt.

Ken, I didn't think about Phillips, but good suggession. It so happens I know Malcolm as our sons were on the same baseball team.

John
Old 03-04-2008, 11:27 PM
LeNoah
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had Porsche work done at Sterling Collision Center in Tustin. Found them to be honest, fair and very good.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

See if you can find a shop that shoots Glasurit paint - that's what Porsche put on the car originally. It will also give you a very close match if your car's finish is metallic. Glasurit is tricky to shoot and requires both experience and I believe a room to bake the finish (not 100% sure on the baking bit). I was only able to find one body shop in the SF Bay Area that shoots Glasurit - and fortunately he's been doing Glasurit exclusively for over 25 years, specializing in Porsche.

Quick Reply: It was bound to happen...