Sponsored by:

It was bound to happen...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:07 AM
vbizguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
See if you can find a shop that shoots Glasurit paint - that's what Porsche put on the car originally. It will also give you a very close match if your car's finish is metallic. Glasurit is tricky to shoot and requires both experience and I believe a room to bake the finish (not 100% sure on the baking bit). I was only able to find one body shop in the SF Bay Area that shoots Glasurit - and fortunately he's been doing Glasurit exclusively for over 25 years, specializing in Porsche.
Thanks for the information on the Glasurit. I'll ask if that's what they use. I've got meteor grey so matching the metallic is a concern. As I was told to spray the whole bumper, I'm hoping that it matches with the rest of the car.

I'm having a crazy thought of following Edgy's bumper removal instructions and and just dropping it off to be repainted. Do you guys see any problems with that or is it plain nuts? Hate the thought of having the car sit around in a shop for so long.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:13 AM
vbizguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDude
plus, that Staples parking lot (I assume you went to the one on 17th St) is chaos!
It was the one off MacArthur. I made the mistake of going there toward the end of the lunch hour when people are whizzing around trying to get back to work.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vbizguy
Thanks for the information on the Glasurit. I'll ask if that's what they use. I've got meteor grey so matching the metallic is a concern. As I was told to spray the whole bumper, I'm hoping that it matches with the rest of the car.

I'm having a crazy thought of following Edgy's bumper removal instructions and and just dropping it off to be repainted. Do you guys see any problems with that or is it plain nuts? Hate the thought of having the car sit around in a shop for so long.
I am considering doing this as well when I get my front bumper resprayed. Thought that as an added bonus of not having the car sit there for a century, it might also save a bit of money on labor since it is you that is pulling/reinstalling the bumper. Thoughts anyone?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

I see there is a Howard Stern fan on... phaphaphooey.... tatatoothy....

Do you have Sirius in your 997?

Anyway, for damage, I always would not only check with dealers, but your local PCA chapter as they may have really good shops overlooked by dealers.

Deanski
Old 03-05-2008, 10:54 AM
cascade
Rennlist Member

I had a similar parking lot scrape on my meteor gray back bumper. The paint shop up here (recommended by the Porsche dealer) did a great job - also did a blend on the adjacent quarter panel. Absolutely cannot tell where the scrape was (mind you -- we haven't seen the sun up here in 3 months...so I haven't been able to look at it on a sunny day). Comforting to know, because I am sure it will happen again. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:04 AM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deanski
I see there is a Howard Stern fan on... phaphaphooey.... tatatoothy....

Do you have Sirius in your 997?

Anyway, for damage, I always would not only check with dealers, but your local PCA chapter as they may have really good shops overlooked by dealers.

Deanski
Congrats sir, you are the first one to have ever made the connection with my user name. I use this handle on several forums as well.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Mad_AL
Intermediate

Ran into Staples to pick up some supplies. As usual I took great care to find a good parking spot. Came out less than 5 minutes later to find my right-side rear bumper scraped up by some passing vehicle. I'm not surprised, but it's darn inconsiderate of people to damage somebody elses property and run off. It KILLS ME as I love this car.....

More paint then structural damage, so I need to find a good body / paint shop around Newport Beach. Any recommendations?

John
Usually when I have to park near in a lot near a not perfectly parked car or a "woman's" car i take a pic of the plates with my camera phone, because you never know how unconsiderate people are
Old 03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It is amazing to me that some people can have such blatant disregard for other people's property.

Have you tried calling GMG or one of the other good local, independent Porsche shops? GMG, in particular, would likely have a good lead on paint shops given their race program.

Good luck and again, sorry to hear about this.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. It is amazing to me that some people can have such blatant disregard for other people's property.

Have you tried calling GMG or one of the other good local, independent Porsche shops? GMG, in particular, would likely have a good lead on paint shops given their race program.

Good luck and again, sorry to hear about this.
I called GMG and they referred me to Spectrum Collision. Called Spectrum and learned that they didn't shoot Glasurit, so they're off the list.

Trying to stick with Glasurit because it is OEM and because I'm only taking the bumper to have repainted. I did seriously consider Sterling, but they said they wouldn't do it unless I left the car because of "insurance" reasons. Not sure what that means....

So I'm dropping the bumper off at an independent shop that came highly recommended and uses Glasurit this Monday. We're going to find out how good Edgy's (Dan) bumper removal instructions are this weekend.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:27 AM
vbizguy
Instructor

All is right in the world.... my car is finally back together. Perfect.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience. I would have never known about Glasurit paint.

A big thank you to Edgy01 for his step by step instructions on removing the bumper. There were a lot of fastners and I could only imagine how many pieces left over had I let someone inexperienced remove the bumper.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM
MartyB
Racer

All is right in the world.... my car is finally back together. Perfect.
Glad to hear everything worked out.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

I would take it off for the sake of keeping the car from sitting around (using my guide) but remember the painter will want to consult with the body much of the time as he is nailing down the match of the color and metal grainularity. He'll need regular access to the car.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM
rockrich
Intermediate

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
See if you can find a shop that shoots Glasurit paint - that's what Porsche put on the car originally. It will also give you a very close match if your car's finish is metallic. Glasurit is tricky to shoot and requires both experience and I believe a room to bake the finish (not 100% sure on the baking bit). I was only able to find one body shop in the SF Bay Area that shoots Glasurit - and fortunately he's been doing Glasurit exclusively for over 25 years, specializing in Porsche.
Who is that for future reference?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:46 PM
vbizguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I would take it off for the sake of keeping the car from sitting around (using my guide) but remember the painter will want to consult with the body much of the time as he is nailing down the match of the color and metal grainularity. He'll need regular access to the car.

The match was perfect so I guess I got lucky.... Dan, thanks for the bumper instructions!
Old 04-13-2008, 12:30 AM
westlaker
Instructor

I part waaaaay at the back with no cars around me if I can.

Quick Reply: It was bound to happen...