Sponsored by:

Is it time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:33 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it time to buy?

What do you think? Is it a good time to buy now? Should I wait for the 09? Will the slow economy allow more negotiation?

I will likely order a C2S with msrp around 102 since they do not have what I want in stock.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 PM
CBejbl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Waiting for the next great thing only leaves you missing out on all the great things that exist now.

Always a good time to buy.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:38 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just placed my order for a new MY08 C4S.

The water's fine...jump in.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 PM
pred8or
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody has to bail out this economy! Time to BUY!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:03 PM
CBnAT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to lease as the business pays for it. Can you guys help me with lease negotiation tactics?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:30 PM
MartyB
Racer

To be sure, you'd need some insider info. Otherwise, you have to ask yourself a few questions including, do you require the latest and newest updates?, are you willing to take a chance that you will have to pay ~10k more for very close to the same car with an '09 after price increase and loss of discount?, are you buying a manual tranny?, do you mind taking somewhat of a risk with the new for 997 DFI technology in exchange for better fuel economy and perhaps slightly higher HP? I wouldn't bet on huge discounts due to the economy in the US. Porsche will ship cars wherever they are selling and wherever the money happens to be. While the US dealers may suffer in the coming months, I don't see PAG taking big losses.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:36 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CBnAT
I need to lease as the business pays for it. Can you guys help me with lease negotiation tactics?
OK; Research the following link: http://leasecompare.com/. You can work the site calculator (Compare Payments on Cars) to get general numbers. Then go to the "financing/leasing message forum" on Roadfly: Paste the following link into your browser - http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/por...rsche_911_997/ ; then look to the right margin, find: "Specialty Automotive Forums for all Cars, Trucks and SUVs" in that block open the above 'Forum'. Ask Tarry (who works for Leasecompare btw) for the lease rates on the exact model you want. That will give you the basics to compare against what the Dealer offers; then shop the money factor, etc. Good luck!!

PS - If I violated any Rules with this post pls feel free to delete as nec; just trying to be helpful to the OP
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

I am not sure how buying a Porsche made in Germany is going to bail out this economy.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:38 PM
pred8or
Racer

I'm not an economist, I dont play one on TV, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night! But I follow the markets pretty closely and I would say global economy = global recession. There might even be a few people employed in this country that will be selling, transporting, and maintaining that car. Don't forget all the various taxes , registrations, and insurance policies that will be purchased along the way. True buying a Corvette may help the US more directly but thats another board now isnt it?
Old 02-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

There are several factors in your favor for a new car.

(1) The 911 production numbers are still fairly high,--dealerships want to move on their allocations.

(2) Porsche is releasing a minor face-lift to the 997 this Fall. The MY08 models will be considered less desirable (they're fine).

(3) The US slow down is affecting everyone for the most part.

Anyone walking in to buy a Porsche is clearly not impacted by a recession. Go for it.

Negotiate hard...some time back I posted information on the dealer mark up (% profit on options, and % profit on the basic car). Look for that to see how much they're getting anyway.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

If you are really trying to get the absolute best "price" then just keep walking out after expressing some interest in whatever car they have in inventory that you would buy. Eventually one dealer will call you back and try to sell. But be ready to buy a car that may not be exactly what you are looking for. I remember walking into Braman with my business partner and he wanted a 996TT. They had one that was black with a blood red interior that had been sitting there for quite a while. They were desperate to sell it. However, even at the incredible price they were offering, he just couldn't imagine sitting inside blood! Somebody got a good deal on that one!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
eljeffo64
Racer

If you want something it's always the right time to buy!! Heart not head rules with big boys toys..
Old 02-07-2008, 03:01 PM
cag64
Instructor

I picked up an 08 C2_S at the end of september 2007. Built the car in July. The dealer had plenty of 2007's on the lot (not the color I wanted). The difference between the 08 and 07 base price was $1200 dollars. The 08 models have no major improvements over the 07 models. So who knows what the base price of the MY 09 will be over the MY 08 cars.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by CBnAT
-Yes. Call/email me. I'll help you out!

With regards to leasing an ordered car you must understand that money factors (rates), residual values and terms change- sometimes monthly.

So, work on the discount on the car- that variable won't change- and ensure you're getting a money factor appropriate for your credit. The term and residual value you cannot negotiate on.

what is quoted now WILL change when your car is expected to come in. That having been said, as long as it's within the same month, even if the car has a VIN number and is on the water, you can sign contracts for a lease.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by cag64
I picked up an 08 C2_S at the end of september 2007. Built the car in July. The dealer had plenty of 2007's on the lot (not the color I wanted). The difference between the 08 and 07 base price was $1200 dollars. The 08 models have no major improvements over the 07 models. So who knows what the base price of the MY 09 will be over the MY 08 cars.
At a minimum of 1.5% increase in price- maybe 2%. Bank on it.

Quick Reply: Is it time to buy?