Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Arrccod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies....theses are the responses I was looking for.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 AM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill,

Another factor to consider is how long you intend to keep the car. If you're only looking for short term ownership the cost of the options you buy will be much higher because of their rapid depreciation. If you are concerned about that, look for a used car where the first guy got to take the hit. On the other hand if you're keeping the car for a while do what you can afford.

Here are my favorites (some expensive, some not so much):

Electric adaptive sports seats
X51 (which comes with PSE which I would want either way)
Short Shifter
PASM
Stainless steel door entry guards (they hold up better than plastic-and look better too)
19 inch wheels
Bose
Clear bra
Seat belts in exterior color
Floor mats (why is this an option?)
Fedex Truck (to carry your luggage on a trip)
Heated seats (wish mine were)

Good luck finding or spec'ing your dream car!

Tony
Old 02-04-2008, 11:13 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

To add to edgy's post, here is my list with commentary:

997 Targa 4S - Targa gives a unique driving experience and a rare bird in general
Black - basic but sometimes basic works
Sand Biege Full Leather - gives a true richness to the interior
Power Seat Package - great if you have more than 1 driver
Self Dimming Mirrors - waste, truly no need
Heated Front Seats - great for Chicago
19" Carrera Classics - i just think the wheel looks better
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest - really brings out the red calipers
Parking Assist - I live in the heart of the city so a necessity
Sport Chrono - usually a binary response to sport chrono...but i am still on the fence
Module for Telephone - complete waste. my dumb*ss didnt realize when you take out the sim card, you get no email on your smartphone. Since email is usually more important than calls to me, i wasted $960.
Ext Navigation - I use it but poor graphics and not really necessary. Def not worth $2,275
Bose - some people dont like it but i think its worth the upgrade
Floor Mats - not really much to comment on floor mats!

Keep in mind this is my first Porsche and just one man's opinion. If I had to do it all over again, I would use the money from the telephone module and navi for sports exhaust...love that sound. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrccod
I'm new here and debating on buy new or used. Of course if there wasn't a money issue it would obviously be new. My question is .....on looking at photos of 997's I noticed some have steering wheels that are round in the middle and others are triangular....whats the difference????

Also what are the truely must have options that should be ordered in order to retain the highest resale value???

Oh yeah.....the car I'm interested in is a C2S coupe.

Thanks
Bill
Here's a good car.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=&cardist=2186

Negotiate it down to $49K. Only 6000 miles. Car should only depreciate $3000 per year over the next 5 years. So there you go. A Porsche 997 for $300 per month for 60 months.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

To answer your question another way, most options don't have much of a resale value, so if you are buying used, look for a very nicely optioned car - it won't cost you that much extra.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:05 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm new here and debating on buy new or used. Of course if there wasn't a money issue it would obviously be new. My question is .....on looking at photos of 997's I noticed some have steering wheels that are round in the middle and others are triangular....whats the difference????

Also what are the truely must have options that should be ordered in order to retain the highest resale value???

Oh yeah.....the car I'm interested in is a C2S coupe.

Thanks
Bill
Sport wheel is also a little fatter.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I think that the must have options will depend on what you intend to do with the car. If it is a track toy, then no options would be best. If it will be a daily driver then you probably want Nav, Bose and PSE. Sport Chrono will give you seat memory which can be nice.

After you buy it you owe it to yourself to sign up for "driver's ed" and take it out on a race track! That's the best "must have" option you can buy!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Originally Posted by MJones
Base 997 has the Triangle center wheel.
"S" has the round center "sport" wheel.

Sport wheel is slightly smaller in diameter.

I believe that the best resale value is the least optioned car. Many options have NO real value in the resale market, in particular the many customization ones.

First on my list Paint. When you pay 3k+ for GT Silver it really brings little more to the resale table.

Go to KBB.com and get a value for a non optioned car....then do it again adding some options from their list and see what the added value might be.

My 2¢
Paint color will get you zero dollars on resale. If you notice on KBB there is no add for paint color.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I have never regretted buying a load car, but have regretted one that wasn't!
Old 02-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

I would like to thanks everyone for their input. I bought my car today.

Bill
Old 02-08-2008, 04:41 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Congrats Bill, What did you buy?
Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 PM
MartyB
Racer

I would like to thanks everyone for their input. I bought my car today.

Bill
Now wait a minute . . . you can't just do a drive-by like that. What'd ya get? Options? Photos? Congratulations, but we will require more information
Old 02-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Arrccod
Instructor

Jay your car was truely hard to pass.....and I did have second thoughts! I fianally took the plunge and got an 06 C2S Carrera White, Saddle Interior, Bose w/ Changer, Nav, Chrome S wheels, and a couple other things I can't think of at the moment. LOL! No pics.... due to arrive in 10 days or so.

Bill
Old 02-08-2008, 05:19 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
With the production numbers of the 997 there is inevitably going to be a resale hit,--no doubt about it. If you are obsessed with that aspect of Porsche ownership you really need to buy something else,--maybe a Honda. Seriously. If you want to build something unique, for you, then order a car. The people that order a silver car with a black leather interior can just as easily go to any of 100 Porsche dealerships and buy off the floor. If you afraid of taking a hit buy it used,--and you will still take a hit.

I have a friend who has an 06 and is afraid to drive it. He still hasn't hit 10,000 with it yet. I think he's seriously afraid of putting the miles on it as he thinks that will make it worth less at sell time. So what? You wanted a Porsche,--now go buy one and then DRIVE it. Those who deny themselves the pleasure of driving the snot out of these cars have not learned a thing about Porsche. It's the only semi-'exotic' sports car that is drivable daily!

Now go buy one, and then drive it!

Or option it out for the next guy.
It's always sad when this happens.

A friend bought a new SL550 a couple years ago. He was actually bragging that, after owning it for 3 months, it still had only 600 miles on the clock. I told him he was an idiot. When I get my 997.5 (which will be in about 10 months) I'm hoping to put 15k+ per year on it. There's a guy in the 993 forum who's got 220,000+ one-owner, one-driver miles. He's my role model.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:22 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Jay your car was truely hard to pass.....and I did have second thoughts! I fianally took the plunge and got an 06 C2S Carrera White, Saddle Interior, Bose w/ Changer, Nav, Chrome S wheels, and a couple other things I can't think of at the moment. LOL! No pics.... due to arrive in 10 days or so.

Bill
Tradition dictates you must start a new thread with pics when it arrives.

Quick Reply: Couple simple questions