Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I get a C4, what options do I have to improve braking and suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I get a C4, what options do I have to improve braking and suspension?

I am strongly considering a C4. But I am also strongly going to miss the braking difference in the S, not the horsepower. Can I improve the braking by upgrading to the same brakes as on the S, or is that not really going to work? Also can the wheels on the C4 be replaced with wheels from the S which I believe are wider?

I am thinking brakes can be improved without affecting warranty, but I don't think the same is true of suspension?

Thoughts? Yeah I could get a C4S but I don't see any CPOs near me, and I am not really willing to take the depreciation on the new car at the moment.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by doctorpcar
I am strongly considering a C4. But I am also strongly going to miss the braking difference in the S, not the horsepower. Can I improve the braking by upgrading to the same brakes as on the S, or is that not really going to work? Also can the wheels on the C4 be replaced with wheels from the S which I believe are wider?

I am thinking brakes can be improved without affecting warranty, but I don't think the same is true of suspension?

Thoughts? Yeah I could get a C4S but I don't see any CPOs near me, and I am not really willing to take the depreciation on the new car at the moment.
Dr-

Honestly, unless you plan on doing some serious track days- you will not feel any difference in braking. No need to upgrade.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 PM
doctorpcar
Instructor

I was thinking of upgrading brakes for emmergency stopping, and stopping distance. You feel the brakes are good enough on the C4? Are they considered very good brakes?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 PM
helispud
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

My guess would be that you could count the cars on the road with better brakes than the standard Porsche brakes using the fingers on one hand. The biggest danger is someone running into you from behind because their brakes are not nearly as good as yours.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

The brakes and suspension of these cars are well engineered to match the performance criteria of the respective car(s). Besides, how could you tell whether you are helping or hurting until you put some seat time in? Do not be too quick to think you can do better than Zuffenhausen. Learn the car then you can wisely decide what you want/need to change. My bet is that unless you get VERY involved in DE/Tracking, it wont be much and it will be primarily cosmetic
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 PM
rfedele
Racer

I believe the larger "S" brakes don't stop any better, but rather won't fade at the track. For street driving you shouldn't notice any diff.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:00 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to retrofit the brakes and wheels to S components, you might as well get a S to begin with. Front brakes, wheels & tires will run $6K+. The S package also gets Bi-zenon headlamps, PASM & 30 hp for $10K, new, less used. This is not a practical retrofit. Accept a non-S, as is, or keep looking.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the first things I noticed when I went to PDE was how good the standard brakes are when you just HAMMER them. We don't even approach the capabilities of the 911's standard brakes when driving on the street. I don't know if you'd shave off any distance with different pads or not but maybe that's an inexpensive option.

But to really get your confidence up on how good the standard brakes are go find a road near your dealership and take your current car up to 80-90 mph and break as hard as you've got the courage to try. Note the distance from top speed to zero. Go take a 997 test drive and go to the same spot, add 10mph to your speed and STOMP on the brakes. I mean really get on them so hard you're thrown into the shoulder belt. You won't swerve, the brakes won't fade and you'll stop a lot faster than in your old car.

And if you do that over and over and over again those brakes are going to hold up and keep stopping you quickly.

Now, I really like PCCB's! But they're pretty expensive and damned hard to heel and toe!

Tony
Old 01-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

While all Carrera brakes are outstanding you have mentioned the desire to improve the suspension. If you invest in the PCCB brakes you will absolutely affect the suspension in a very positive way.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 AM
doctorpcar
Instructor

well given that my current audi comes from the factory with the brakes from the gallardo i will be happy if the pcar can at least match the stopping distance.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 222 Likes on 111 Posts

The best performance upgrade you can make is between your ears.

Invest in a performance driving school or take the car to the track. It is infinitely more capable than you are.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

well given that my current audi comes from the factory with the brakes from the gallardo i will be happy if the pcar can at least match the stopping distance.

Have you driven a 997 for any length of time, not just a test drive. As said by others there are few cars that can match the braking ability of even the standard brakes.

Find someone near you who will let you drive their car for a bit if you haven't already done so and I think you will be impressed.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:54 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Check the forum, Steven_H is selling his lightly used C4S
Old 02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

PCCBs and Turbo wheels...i believe they are the lightest out of all the 997 line of wheels.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:52 AM
Vegas
Intermediate

I have a C4 and can tell you first hand that the 'standard' brakes are amazing. It's funny how the "S" badge has somehow diminished the performance expectations of the standard car. Here's mine...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: If I get a C4, what options do I have to improve braking and suspension?