Sponsored by:

Found a flaw in 997 interior - I'm pissed...need your help

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:28 AM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Found a flaw in 997 interior - I'm pissed...need your help

While going for a joyride earlier today, I accelerated out of a turn and my cell phone flew out of that little area that's underneath the radio. I figured I'd find it later once back in my garage.

I looked for about 10 minutes, then went inside and called my cell from my home phone. The area underneath the passenger side seat is vibrating/buzzing. To my horror, I realize that the little storage area directly underneath the passenger side seat has a opening in the sheet metal that goes forward...the area that is in front of the seat. The opening is maybe ~1/2" tall....big enough for my small cell phone to slide under, but too small for my hand beyond my fingers to slide in. Plus the seat is in the way for me to be able to look in the crevice with a flashlight.

What the hell am I going to do now? I guess I can take it into the dealer.

But first:

1) what is this going to cost me? will the dealer charge me to take the seat out and fish for the cell phone?

2) how easy/hard is it to take the seat out by myself and then reinstall it?

Seriously, WTF were they thinking when they designed this?? Is this a secret hiding place for drugs?? WTF?!?!?!?!? I'm so pissed...sorry for the rant.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:04 AM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

Take the seat out yourself. Piece of cake.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...d.php?t=113571
Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 AM
rons2112
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

That sucks! Between my cell phone and my daughers pacifiers, it won't be long before I get something stuck in there. My cell phone is a piece of junk, so I will it rot, but my daughters pacifiers are pure solid gold. They keep her quiet while I get to listen to the sound of the engine.

Let us know if you dig in and try to take the seat out, maybe get a few simple photos of the process perhaps?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:01 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I had my drivers seat out to install a BK fire extiguisher mount and dropped one of the fasteners in there. I didn't think I would ever get it out.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Panic stop

Reverse the process by which the cell phone got there in the first place. A very hard emergency stop (full on ABS) should see that little *ucker slide right back out into the open.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on the description, I believe the crevice is forward of the passenger seat, in which case, a panic stop would propel the phone even further inward. Maybe drive the car onto ramps, or jack up the front-end to see if the phone would slide back out?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

He said reverse the process, as in drive in reverse very fast hit the brakes.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Bend the end of a wire coat hanger and attach a blob of ( no kidding ) duct tape , sticky side out , to the tip and insert it into the opening .
With a little trying, the phone may stick to it .
Old 01-21-2008, 03:05 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Folks,

Thanks for your suggestions. I am a bit apprehensive about taking the seat out myself.

I did take the car out for a quick spin after midnight this morning...it was on my mind. I tried going reverse and braking hard hoping it would free itself with no luck. But I was only going maybe 5mph down my driveway in reverse when I braked hard...I'll try going faster later on today and initiating ABS, I really hope that will work.

After the drive I tried to see if I could videotape the area...I placed my small camcorder on the sheetmetal directly under the passenger seat and held a small flashlight right next to it and taped while going back and forth a few times. Didn't see it...but it wasn't really letting me get a clear picture the whole way through anyway...some places the flashlight was too bright...some places the lens was a bit high off the ground to capture....I tried this crap for maybe half an hour or so with no luck. Next I tried sliding a plastic knife back and forth in the crevice, but couldn't really tell if I felt the contour of the phone or not.

I'm gonna try the wire hanger method mentioned by Rolf tonight.

If faster reverse braking and the wire hanger fail, I'm gonna take it to the dealership and have them remove the seat...I hope I can get it out then.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I had my drivers seat out to install a BK fire extiguisher mount and dropped one of the fasteners in there. I didn't think I would ever get it out.
MUSSBERGER, so you were not able to get the fastener out even with the seat removed, or you were able to get it out? Sorry, not sure I understand what the outcome was. Thx.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 PM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

AT least the cell phone does not smell. I spilled a large coffee and that is where it went! The seat comes out the carpet cleaned and a straw......the coffee was cold by then so I hooked it up to a shop vac. I do not know why there is not carpet there. It would reduce sound.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

10 ways to solve your problem:

1) ask NASA if you can borrow their training centrifuge
2) drive on a roller coaster track, especially one with a loop
3) go to a junk yard and ask to borrow one of the magnets thy use to lift cars, put near front seat, turn on...
4) drill a hole from underneath the car and let it drop out
5) train a team of ants
6) leave the windows open in a bad neightbor with a sign on the window: "cell phone under passenger seat, do not touch"
7) flood the area with warm jello, as it hardens, it will solidify and keep the phone from rattling
8) call Chad from the verizone ads, see if he can help
9) "honey, i shrunk the kids"
10) hire Gary Coleman to climb in the hole and get it out
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Shoot, now I know where the condom went.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:00 PM
cable
Advanced

Maybe the phone has enough metal content for you to use one of those telescoping magnets that looks like a pen? I sometimes use one to fish out dropped hardware from inside my boat and it works like a charm. Sold at most hardware stores.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:25 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mal28
10 ways to solve your problem:

1) ask NASA if you can borrow their training centrifuge
2) drive on a roller coaster track, especially one with a loop
3) go to a junk yard and ask to borrow one of the magnets thy use to lift cars, put near front seat, turn on...
4) drill a hole from underneath the car and let it drop out
5) train a team of ants
6) leave the windows open in a bad neightbor with a sign on the window: "cell phone under passenger seat, do not touch"
7) flood the area with warm jello, as it hardens, it will solidify and keep the phone from rattling
8) call Chad from the verizone ads, see if he can help
9) "honey, i shrunk the kids"
10) hire Gary Coleman to climb in the hole and get it out
6&10 made me chuckle

BTW, I tried it all....hard/ABS braking going backwards....wire hanger....nothing worked

On top of it all, it's a super busy week at work...will take it to the dealership this weekend.

Quick Reply: Found a flaw in 997 interior - I'm pissed...need your help