Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Car won't lock (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/403632-car-wont-lock.html)

mitch236 01-15-2008 11:17 AM

Car won't lock

When I try to lock my car with the remote, I get two beeps and the doors won't lock. I've checked all the doors, the glove box and the center console. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not have to go to the dealer as that requires too much time.

John Boggiano 01-15-2008 11:50 AM

Engine lid open? Or boot/trunk?

cvazquez 01-15-2008 11:51 AM

-Check engine and storage lid
-Try the second key remote

If above does not work...

Fault indicator is when a double horn signal during locking indicates a defect in the central locking system. Have the defect remedied by your authorized P-car dealership

mitch236 01-16-2008 10:53 AM

That sucks! I don't want to wait around the dealer for this.

mgo28 01-16-2008 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by John Boggiano (Post 4986258)
Engine lid open? Or boot/trunk?

this would be my guess....

JohnnyBahamas 01-16-2008 05:39 PM

Maybe the second key fob is in the car? It might think that you're trying to lock yourself out by locking the key in?

Just a guess if the above suggestions don't pan out.

gota911 01-16-2008 11:30 PM

Check to make sure the storege bin lid in the rear center console is closed.

mitch236 01-17-2008 09:16 AM

The interesting thing is that one of the sensors must be loose or misaligned because if I reclose things in the car (and the engine lid also worked), the car occaisionally locks. I've tried each item individually but there isn't a common item. It just works whenever it wants. Very weird.

As far as the key, I only have #2. The seller couldn't find the other keys.

Gundo 05-27-2016 12:25 PM

I'm currently having the exact same issue. Locked car at dealer for service, when done, I instructed them to lock it out for me. They called - we can't lock your car...strange. Silly me, I picked it up anyway, and now, I get four beeps when I try to lock. Will try as suggested above and keep all posted.

Cheers,
Gundo

semicycler 05-27-2016 12:58 PM

I'm surprised the dealership didn't pull the error code. Pull the error code with Durametric then. It will usually isolate it down to some component. My passenger door lock is spotty at times and shows up as a fault when it happens but goes away when it doesn't. I'll eventually swap the door locking mechanism but honestly it's not very high on my list.

Hella-Buggin' 05-27-2016 03:47 PM

Check your blinker stalk. I bumped my getting out once and this happened.

estorilblue 05-27-2016 05:18 PM

I had the same issue earlier this month. Took it to my indie, it turn out to be a faulty ground to the new battery I just replaced.

Gundo 05-30-2016 12:35 PM

Thank you! Two blinks not solved yet....but new ideas

Thank you! Two blinks not solved yet....but new ideas

Rocco07 05-30-2016 07:28 PM

I had this happen in an M3 of mine. Central locking would lock, then unlock. I took it to the dealer and they swapped all the components they could easily, (they used parts from another customer's car!)
They thought it was the computer since no other component solved the problem. The computer was $300+ and I didn't wan to pay for something that might not fix it.
t took the car back to do my own troubleshooting. I gained access to the computer and began to check circuits using a Fluke meter. I found a broken wire at the point where the trunk hinge flexed the wire harness going to the truck lock actuator. The computer thought the trunk was open and kept unlocking the car.
Depending on the age of your car, check the areas where the wire bundles are constantly being bent back and forth as doors etc. open and close. One of the wires may be brittle/broken.

PABers 06-02-2016 12:23 AM

I would check the battery; had it happen to me after a dealer visit.