Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Occassional Noise @Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:34 PM

Question Strange Occassional Noise @Idle

I have noticed every now and then a strange chirpping with ticking noise coming from the engine @ idle; I know the lifters make some ticking sounds but there is a distinct chirp as well. The sound comes and goes and some days I never hear the chirp but just the normal lifter ticking. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this.

Thank you

Last edited by 500; 12-25-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:04 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Are you sure you aren't hearing "cheap" since you haven't joined Rennlist yet?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:17 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

haha good one
Old 12-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Very helpful info thanks so much...
Old 12-26-2007, 02:14 PM
drmarkp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

500 - hairline scratches only visible under fluorescent lights, hosing your calipers down after driving to stop your brakes squeaking, and now intermittent chirps and ticks at tickover? You need to see a proctologist / psychiatrist / buy a Lexus. Or all three.
And I'm not being nasty - just trying to help you enjoy your car more. You worry too much.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by drmarkp
500 - hairline scratches only visible under fluorescent lights, hosing your calipers down after driving to stop your brakes squeaking, and now intermittent chirps and ticks at tickover? You need to see a proctologist / psychiatrist / buy a Lexus. Or all three.
And I'm not being nasty - just trying to help you enjoy your car more. You worry too much.
Thanks. The part of the scratch that really bothered me was how it got there in the first place. I hate brake squeal and the hosing of calipers was recommended by others here for me to try. With regard to the noise it sounds as if a lifter may not be getting the appropriate flow of oil to it. I'll have the dealer check it out next time I go by.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Are you sure you aren't hearing "cheap" since you haven't joined Rennlist yet?

Good point! Could be in the running for most posts by a non-member.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM

I didn't realize this was a "paid membership required" public forum which also has commercial sponsors. If the forum creators want this to only be a paid membership type of forum then they should just make it that way or if there is a limit to the number of posts one can make, no matter how useful to others, then that should clearly be posted as well.

In the entire time I've been here I don't recall anyone telling me the true benefits of joining, but just the occassional jab from the likes of some who have posted above; you know you get more with honey than vinegar. It's not really that important for me to participate in the Off Topic Section or have the large avatar etc which are some of the privileges that I 've been able learn about on my own once one becomes a paid member.

I think I have contributed quite a bit of useful information here from my over 26 years of owning many different Porsches and I'm always glad to lend a hand to help others and answer questions etc they may have, but if it comes down having to pay to contribute and participate then I'll pass. None of the other public automotive, or any other forums for that matter, to which I belong ever have members harassing non members for not joing and or not paying membership fees and they too have commercial sponsors. If you wish to accuse me of being "cheap" because I choose not to join then please feel free, but it's obvious you don't know anything about me or ever will for that matter.

I have had the pleasure of getting to know some very nice folks here and have also picked up some very useful info as well and to those thank you. Perhaps I'll move on from here to where my contributions are appreciated.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

From the admins...
Third – If you are a “Rennlist Member” – please remember, there was a time that you weren’t either. What made you choose to become a Member? Why? Chances are – it wasn’t from a verbal beating, but rather – you wanted to become part of something pretty cool. So, if folks aren’t a Rennlist Member – that’s fine! They will if, they too, experience what it is you already participate within and would like to share that same excitement.

Last edited by 500; 12-26-2007 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:12 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 500
I have noticed every now and then a strange chirpping with ticking noise coming from the engine @ idle; I know the lifters make some ticking sounds but there is a distinct chirp as well. The sound comes and goes and some days I never hear the chirp but just the normal lifter ticking. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this.

Thank you
It could be the following in this order:

1- Plastic roller (serpentine belt), place a little belt dressing on your belts. If the P-car sleeps outside the belt, tend to get humid and squeak.

2- Check for loose sparkplug, air escaping via the trends.

If all fails, see the Porsche Tech since the P-car is still under warranty.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by cvazquez
It could be the following in this order:

1- Plastic roller (serpentine belt), place a little belt dressing on your belts. If the P-car sleeps outside the belt, tend to get humid and squeak.

2- Check for loose sparkplug, air escaping via the trends.

If all fails, see the Porsche Tech since the P-car is still under warranty.
Thank you cvazquez.
I've been reading about loose sparkplugs causing this noise on 996's and Boxsters; someone actually posted a sound clip and the noise appears to be identical.

I will try the belt dressing, although the car is parked inside I am in S FL and it's quite humid here even this time of year.

Again, thanks.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:23 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't leave us 500...

Just trying to milk a few bucks from ya ;-)
Old 12-27-2007, 05:34 PM
5oo
1st Gear

Where would he go?

Rennlist is the best!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by JFScheck
Don't leave us 500...

Just trying to milk a few bucks from ya ;-)
Thanks JF...that's very kind of you to say and most appreciated.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 5oo
Where would he go?

Rennlist is the best!
Very nice 5oo.
Now, are you the same person as "Mrs. OCBen?"
Old 12-27-2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Coochas
Very nice 5oo.