Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Option(s) Do You Wish You Did ~NOT~ Get?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Short list of must haves for me.

PCCB, X-51, and the Sports Shifter. My car has many other options but I am only missing the X-51.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:14 PM
tkids
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
One option that no one talks about is the painted rocker panel for the C4 and C4S. I was advised not to get it by the salesperson, but I think that standard black rocker panel looks pretty drab against my midnight blue car. I'm not sure how it will lookwith the ruby red.
+1 big time! I did know about it and it looks great on the seal grey. I think it might really look nice on RRed! I did get the rear wiper that certainly helps with rain in slow traffic/snow, alot of negative recommendations it breaking the clean lines.. Sports Chrono??? mmm not sure if I would do it again.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:25 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

C2S of my choice when I spec'd it: Hey, it's my first Porsche.

Aerokit, PCCB, PSE, Short Shift, Bose, 6-CD, Nav, Sirius, Chrono, Logbook, Adaptive Sport Seats, Heated seats, Crest in headrest, Sport steering wheel, Lighted sills, Color Crests, Full Leather, yellow seatbelts, paint film, K-40, indoor cover with crest.

Wish I added:

X51, Painted seatbacks, painted console, leather console cover with crest or model, painted dash strip/cupholder, black dials, carbon fiber lighted sills, anything carbon fiber GT3 seats, painted wheels, painted strip under shifter, and a few other items I can't think of now.

Just couldn't see spending $17K for only 26HP on the X51.

Deanski
Old 12-09-2007, 12:19 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the illuminated sills and at night when you step into your baby they look real sweet. Think about the sport chrono. I love the sound I get with it when combined with the PSE. And the extra power you get in the RPM range is quite noticeable. I don't know if the Power Kit is worth the extra cost. You can get the same HP or even more with added modifications and an ECU re mapping. All in all it sounds like you will have a great care nonetheless. Enjoy and drive with true passion.

Jay
Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 AM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I would rate the PSE and thicker sport steering wheel as good options, I have been underwhelmed with the quality of the short shifter. If you are going to track the car just add the extinguisher.
I opted for the painted rocker panels on midnight blue and am happy with it.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:47 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ask me the must haves are full leather, illuminated stainless sills, sport exhaust, sport seats with painted backs, thicker wheel, deviated stiching, painted washer nozzles.

Skip the power seats, rear wiper and cd changer.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

I have been underwhelmed with the quality of the short shifter.
So much disagreement on this. I don't get it. What's not to like about 30% less travel and a whole new sensation of connection between car and driver? I guess a bad install could ruin all this but that should be obviouis and can easily be adjusted. Must have option imo.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:48 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
What are the thoughts from those who got the illuminated sills? I know it's a bit "pimp'ish" but there is some draw to it for me.....
Turbo has the illuminated Carbon Fiber door sills that say...yeah you guessed it, Turbo. At night its a nice little, hello welcome back when you open the door.

Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
but to me a few extra little things that stir some more emotion when i look at the car are colored gauges and seat belts and sport design wheels (painted black)
Out of everything i think the ability to customize those options is awesome from Porsche. Our turbo is slate on grey leather and PCCBs. So belts/gauges/stitching its all yellow to match. I cant tell you the endless amounts of comments ive gotten on it........its loved by all.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:55 AM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I would skip Bose and mats. Get some nice Lloyd mats, they are much better than the factory offering.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:55 AM
johnag007
Intermediate

Default Track Biased answer

I would not get adaptive sports seats as they are not enough to hold you in on the track (folding bucket seats have just been launched in Europe)! Sunroof I have never used, and PHONE. Come on Porsche, the Sat Nav is bad enough, but the phone is excruciatingly painful, cannot have any conversation about 50mph, mic is useless.

Off to Parr in London to get new Brembo brakes, suspensions fitted, maybe a couple of other things as well.

JAG
Old 12-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Sands
Instructor

I'll give you an answer from a slightly different perspective. As the owner of the "poll-verifed" lowest option 997, I have had a chance to think about what I miss NOT getting. Were I to order it again, I would definitely get the heated seats. I also did switch to the stainless steel tips during the factory recall. Otherwise, the car comes with everything you need.

I think dimming mirrors are dangerous and I personally prefer the factory sidemarkers to the clear ones.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:20 PM
printemps2001
Instructor

At the end of the day, get what you like. Some people have cars that are (relatively) stripped, some are over the top with options. I saw a C4S not long ago with a $125 sticker (yes that's over $35k in add-ons). You can make your car feel and look very sporty or very luxurious depending on how you equip it. Some people say "buy this, it adds to resale" or"don't buy this, it hurts resale." I've said it before and I'll say it again, but what you like. No matter how you slice it, if one is that concerned about that sort of stuff, they should be driving an Accord. The cost per mile on these cars is relatively high and adding one or two or five thousand dollars to the total won't matter that much. In the end, that costs a lot less that sinking the better part of 100k into something you aren't happy with just because it MAY reduce your trade-in price by a thousand bucks.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Lightbulb Great point!

Originally Posted by printemps2001
At the end of the day, get what you like. Some people have cars that are (relatively) stripped, some are over the top with options. I saw a C4S not long ago with a $125 sticker (yes that's over $35k in add-ons). You can make your car feel and look very sporty or very luxurious depending on how you equip it. Some people say "buy this, it adds to resale" or"don't buy this, it hurts resale." I've said it before and I'll say it again, but what you like. No matter how you slice it, if one is that concerned about that sort of stuff, they should be driving an Accord. The cost per mile on these cars is relatively high and adding one or two or five thousand dollars to the total won't matter that much. In the end, that costs a lot less that sinking the better part of 100k into something you aren't happy with just because it MAY reduce your trade-in price by a thousand bucks.
It's pretty clear from this thread that no matter what you buy it needs to be what you like. Seemingly no matter what you do there will be people that your car and others that love your car. Some people would consider buying a low option car while others would not-the audience seems to be split evenly. At the end of the day you have to drive the car so buy what's right for you.

Last edited by MLindgren; 12-09-2007 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Too much drinking!
Old 12-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Think about the sport chrono. I love the sound I get with it when combined with the PSE. And the extra power you get in the RPM range is quite noticeable.
That sound comes with the PSE and has nothing at all to do with the sport chrono. Also, the sport chrono does not add any power at all. None. Zero.

If you couldn't tell, sport chrono tops my list of features I could completely live without and wouldn't buy again.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:27 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

I think if you polled those who have the Sport Chrono for the investment most would agree it does add more response to the throttle and is worth the extra cost. For those who have it you can't tell me you don't feel a difference when you activate it. Just giving my opinion from what I've experienced and read.

Jay

Quick Reply: What Option(s) Do You Wish You Did ~NOT~ Get?