Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost the engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Maybe its happening because Porsche is contracting...

..to China...oops
Old 12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 972 Likes on 543 Posts

I read posts on various P boards that seems to focus on this same part regarding engine failure. have they upgraded this component in later years?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
X51 should require a new engine management system etc and even if he agreed to pay the difference, I'd bet and unfortunatley so, Porsche won't go for it.
Probably right, but I'd make a play for it anyway. Never hurts to ask...
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Andrew Bennett
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exactly the same experience in a 997 '05 C2S. Sitting at idle, a visceral grinding sound and the exsanguination of the contents of the sump all over the road. 9000km old - well treated. Replaced in entirety by Porsche. Advised that it was a counter shaft bearing failure that rips a hole in the side of the crankcase and hence the catastrophic failure.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:32 AM
jay827
AutoX

to everyone that has had this happen - what does your replacement service sheet read: a new unit or a remanufacturer unit?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Racist

Originally Posted by abe
..to China...oops
If you can't make grown up comments and contributions, then please don't bother to say anything at all. Your jokey, xenophobic "contributions" add nothing to this forum at all. Maybe you should go and play elsewhere.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:21 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Le Chef needs to Le chill
Old 12-08-2007, 06:06 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Personally I think Le Chef could take a bit of his own advice! One thing this board could do without is some self-anointed arbiter of posting decorum.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:30 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

So it's OK to do a little xenophobic sniping on this board? I always thought this was an international board that was dedicated to Porsche's and above that kind of thing. So if I'm Chinese and extraordinarily proud of the fact that I have just bought my first Porsche, how am I supposed to feel about my country being insulted? If that's OK would it be acceptable for US to be insulted if the reverse was the case? So if a Chinese guy was standing next to you at your Porsche dealership it would be OK to belittle his country? You get my point no doubt, even if you don't want to.

Last edited by Le Chef; 12-08-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:35 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chef. Have you ever wondered if it is by by accident that lead and asbestos find their way from China into the hands and mouths of American children on a regular basis? While I am not prepared to postulate an international conspiracy, I certainly do understand a little "zenophobic sniping" in this case, especially with tongue in cheek. Lest you wonder, my tongue is planted about halfway into my cheek here. Personally, if my steering wheel were made in China, I would have it checked before I put it in my mouth.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default Point the finger of blame towards the sign that says "home"

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Hey Chef. Have you ever wondered if it is by by accident that lead and asbestos find their way from China into the hands and mouths of American children on a regular basis?
Have you ever wondered who imports this stuff? Have you ever asked the American corporations what safety checks they carry out on these products to ensure our children are safe? If those corporations choose to buy Chinese goods then "caveat emptor" has to apply, much as it should do with any supplier regardless of country of origin. Why would you trust an American meat supplier? you wouldn't if you had any sense. But if you want to know who to sue for negligence here's a hint: it's the American corporation.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:59 AM
MyEmily
Racer

Agreed w/ Le Chef here. Corp wanted max profit. Child Labors from GAP, LL Bean, Martha S... Blood Diamond from Africa, Illegal immigrants picking vegie, It is just business w/ an closed eye and hoped no one would know. C'mon, where are the quality control. Don't blame the country of orgin, blame the corp that is careless and greedy enough to skip a step or two to make a cent or two more.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:56 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 500
X51 should require a new engine management system etc and even if he agreed to pay the difference, I'd bet and unfortunatley so, Porsche won't go for it.
Napleton Porsche in Naperville, IL is advertising X51 installation for $18,699 thru the end of March - that's 5k off list.

I think that the point is... whilst the engine is out - add PowerKit.

I would do that, definitely. I'm sure it might even knock a K or so off the price.

go fo it! <I'm really good at spending other people's money... :->
Old 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Napleton Porsche in Naperville, IL is advertising X51 installation for $18,699 thru the end of March - that's 5k off list.

I think that the point is... whilst the engine is out - add PowerKit.

I would do that, definitely. I'm sure it might even knock a K or so off the price.

go fo it! <I'm really good at spending other people's money... :->
Exactly what I was thinking when I posted X51. You have a chance with the engine out any way, of negotiating a nice price on X51. A dealer who is motivated to keep you as a satisfied customer will find a way to make it a good deal for all involved.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:14 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MyEmily
Agreed w/ Le Chef here. Corp wanted max profit. Child Labors from GAP, LL Bean, Martha S... Blood Diamond from Africa, Illegal immigrants picking vegie, It is just business w/ an closed eye and hoped no one would know. C'mon, where are the quality control. Don't blame the country of orgin, blame the corp that is careless and greedy enough to skip a step or two to make a cent or two more.
I won't argue with 'Chef, either - I think he's right on.

I spent a day last week with one of my Chinese colleagues from Bejing (who, BTW, made the 20+ hour trip to Chicago for a one-day meeting) and found him to be exceptionally intelligent, worldly - and very disgusted about his country's approach to standards and regulations... he lamented the Olympic decision, and wished that those monies could be spent on enviromental oversight. That being said, there's a lot of "rampant capitalism" going on in China right now - and the price will be paid moving forward.

Anybody here old enough to remember what the tag "Made in Japan" meant in the late '60s? Now, what does it mean today? The Chinese will have to make the same leap to ultimately be successful in world markets... I'm pulling for them, too.

Now, back to Porsches:

As an engineer, I gotta tell you guys - the failure rates for these engines - considering their high specific output - is way low. I can also guarantee you that, if the intermediate balance shaft rips loose in more than two cars (and we have reached that number in this thread, I believe) - Porsche will fix it.

The RMS thing is another issue, and points to a design flaw in terms of excessive crank(shaft)tail overhang. That was a calculated risk that simply fell on the wrong side of the bell curve's median. It's also a fundamental with the current engine/trans design that likely cannot change - potentially not even in the 998...

I'd never say that a bit of good natured ribbing wasn't good for this board <g> - but let's not pick on the Chinese. They have their own issues right now.

And I'm sure that the 3.8L balance shaft assy was designed in.... Germany?
Herr Doktor, verstehen Sie gerade nicht!

Quick Reply: Lost the engine