Sponsored by:

Clocked at 105 and handcuffed.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 01:21 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine9Sixer
"unintentionally accellerate" while passing a cop in the "slow lane" and further while "oblivious drinking my Starbucks" all at 105mph -- your words, not mine.
Nice cut & paste, but you somehow left some of the relevant parts of the story like where I stated:
"I just accelerated to get around the sparce traffic in the fast lanes going 60. He agreed my lane changes were very clean and I that I wasn't driving erratically."

Read into my story what you will, but it appears you're projecting your driving limitations onto my story. It was a 6-lane highway almost empty on a early Sunday morning. It was straight and level for at least 5 miles. There were 2 cars in close proximity to me, in the number 1 & 2 lanes, and I moved over well in advance of coming up on them. It was so wide-open I felt compelled to take a sip of my latte. Additionally, the lucky officer was coming down the on-ramp behind some tall bushes, not in the slow lane. I was as he stated, a sitting duck.

Yes I should have been more aware of my surroundings but no way in hell it was "extremely reckless". My driving wasn't even a little reckless. It was smooth, defined, and just a little to fast for the constable. You're not qualified to make that judgement from NYC or Connecticut. Do they even have 6 lane highways there?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Do they even have 6 lane highways there?
Yeah they have a few but those toll booths help to keep your speed down.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:11 PM
007GT3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porshces, driving fast, responsibility

Personally, I love driving 100+ in my Porsche and do so whenever I get the chance--which regrettably is not often enough these days.

Plus, I would rather be on a 6-lane highway with another Porsche driver doing 130 MPH than be on the road with some guy driving a duck-taped together Toyota Echo/ford truck/Nafta semi running down the road at 80 MPH with no insurance while he smokes and jokes with his 3 buddies in the front seat.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've driven on I-5 between San Diego and LA where everyone is going 80,90 and up to a 100. I guess I should be staying in the right lane and never go over 70. I guess I should be driving a Toyota too.

Most Porsche drivers take our driving very seriously at any speed. You don't see a lot us wrecking our cars on the 5PM news either.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

My nephew was pulled for speeding 105 in a 55 in Va and he eventually spent 15 days in jail, paid $1000 fine, plus the attorney fees, and had his license suspended for 6 months...

In Va. if they pull you at anything 20 or more over the limit, they have probable cause to search, and normally will...

There's a reason more and more of us go to the track... I can hit 160MPH at VIR once per lap (2:10-2:15 seconds per lap) for up to 30 minutes per session... I'll take that over losing my license any day...

I'm aware of the highway you're speaking of, since I've been out there a fair amount over the years... 105mph anywhere in Cali will get you handcuffed and hauled off to jail... Although I agree it's silly if you have open road and aren't driving eratically, the traffic laws in the united states are pretty strict and straight forward, and 105mph will get you arrested in just about any state in the union...

Mike
Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
My nephew was pulled for speeding 105 in a 55 in Va and he eventually spent 15 days in jail, paid $1000 fine, plus the attorney fees, and had his license suspended for 6 months...

In Va. if they pull you at anything 20 or more over the limit, they have probable cause to search, and normally will...

There's a reason more and more of us go to the track... I can hit 160MPH at VIR once per lap (2:10-2:15 seconds per lap) for up to 30 minutes per session... I'll take that over losing my license any day...

I'm aware of the highway you're speaking of, since I've been out there a fair amount over the years... 105mph anywhere in Cali will get you handcuffed and hauled off to jail... Although I agree it's silly if you have open road and aren't driving eratically, the traffic laws in the united states are pretty strict and straight forward, and 105mph will get you arrested in just about any state in the union...

Mike
Yea I got lucky, I could easily have been hangin with Bubba.... Now if I was in your TT I might have made a run for the border(that's a joke for those of you in Rio Linda or New York)....

I wrote the article to tallk about the benefits of a good attitude when stopped by the police/highway patrol. As one can see, drivers here have divergent opinions on how best to handle the situation. Very interesting and probably a statement on our individual experiences dating back many, many years.....
Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The traffic laws are antiquated IMHO. Was over in Italy in May in diesel Ford Focus. Was driving several hours at 100MPH on Autostrada, paying attention to lane discipline and having fun. When I would be passing someone in fast lane occasionally my lack of horsepower would allow traffic behind me to collect on rear bumper (normally half a car length) until I could move over. Oh to have a fast car there! Met a couple from Australia in Stresa at our hotel who had gotten pulled over in Milan-for going too slow in the fast lane. On the way up north we stopped at the Malpensa airport to see if reservations could be changed. I was waiting out front of airport while companion went inside. I was there about 30 minutes and watched several crotch rockets go through 2 gears to redline in the pickup area while the police just watched. Here in Portland they would have had 3 patrol cars chasing the guys. Their attitude is way different. Like every green light in a city is the start of the race to the next light. Police are observing with machine pistols, but it is NO big deal. With our definition of "aggressive driving" 90% of the Italian drivers would be in jail for 20 years! We saw one accident in our 2 weeks and that was when we were cycling on a back road. My outlet for fast driving is on the race track-normally :-) . I say we need to raise the speed limits as the motoring public is already going faster, but municpalities like the income stream with the lower limits.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

I did a BMW European dilivery in '05 and loved Germany. For the most part the city driving is similar to us, but once you get outside it is fantastic! Some TV show did a segment on how great the roads are. The best thing-no one driving 55 in the far left lane!!

Didn't Montana try no-speed-limit for a bit?
Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

agreed 100mph is nothing. No less safe than going with the flow at 80. On my last trip to Germany every third car was doing 100mph. Difference being that over there getting a license actually requires some brain power and driving skill. Over here we give Britney Spears and Paris Hilton the right to drive.

Cop sees Porsche going 100mph and its the highlight of his day, much more fun that giving a soccer mom a ticket. I'm not sure but I think the five-o arrest very few car theives behind the wheel of a Pcar.
But they definitely hand out allot of tickets to Corvette, Porsches and exotics. As for as a DUI, its a high end Porsche for crying out loud, 100mph is not an outlandish situation for such a car to be in. I'll go 50-90mph merging onto the highway without even trying. I don't stay at that speed as I have very little confidence in my fellow motorist travelling 80+mph in two ton SUVs. If anything I find myself driving slower and slower or avoiding highways whenver possible, particularly at night when the drunks are out.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

[QUOTE=
I wrote the article to tallk about the benefits of a good attitude when stopped by the police/highway patrol. As one can see, drivers here have divergent opinions on how best to handle the situation. Very interesting and probably a statement on our individual experiences dating back many, many years.....[/QUOTE]

well said. i'll be the first to admit i can't keep below 90mph and going 100mph+ is like 65mph in most other cars. didn't mean to jump all over ya, but perhaps i was projecting a bit cuz i feel i drive too fast and should really slow down-- for no other reason than you have a lot of idiots out there and you can never predict they will act responsibly while you pass them. for that reason, i am extremely vigilant in surveying the road, exit ramps, other cars, what drivers are doing in the cars, conditions of cars, tires, etc-- i'm constantly inputing a crapload of information to anticipate worst-case scenarios. i guess that's what happens when start to get old and we feel a bit more vulnerable and that perhaps there's no such thing as accidents....
as for cops, i don't have built-in V1 and Lidatek for nothing!
Old 09-15-2007, 02:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,068 Likes on 749 Posts

Their attitude is way different. Like every green light in a city is the start of the race to the next light. Police are observing with machine pistols, but it is NO big deal.

I agree but maybe the police's attitude is way different because the drivers attitude is different? Many US drivers look at their cars as an extention of their livingroom or kitchen. It just has wheels so they can go places. They absolutely take no pride in performing well on the road and could give a damn about disrupting traffic flow. I never got that impression on European roads, no matter which country. Spent three weeks in Scandinavia earlier this year on wide open country roads where 100mph+ was common and the rest on busy city streets in Stockholm and Copenhagen. Didn't see one single accident despite a lot of rainy days, a quick pace and a lot of cars. Nor did I ever see anyone in a freeway left lane unless they were going FAST. European teenagers understand this simple concept but here we still have professional drivers oblivious to it.

Last edited by sandwedge; 09-15-2007 at 04:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Clocked at 105 and handcuffed.....