Sponsored by:

Porsche Road Side Assistance

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Porsche Road Side Assistance

After getting the sales pitch on how great it is. How great is it really? Especially if your a long way away from any dealer. Do they bend over backward to get you on your way? I take it that they tow you to the nearest dealer and you are at that particular dealer's mercy. If you have a flat are they helpful in to getting you to someone who can replace a tire? Order a tire? If your on your way to a wedding or a funeral should you cancel your appearance and plan on sitting in some small town waiting weeks for the situation to be resolved.

Any happy or unhappy stories out there?
Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hoo boy, I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the New Mexico desert with a blow-out. Is Porsche Service going to bring you a new tire? - I think not. Flatbed 175 miles to Albuquerque?

Reminds me of when I blew a tire 15 miles north of St. George Utah on my '85 Turbolook. Not one tire in the state of Utah that would work. Thank goodness it was early Friday afternoon, and Tire Rack could Fed-X a tire to the hotel room I had to get. 114 degrees too.

I am getting a spare tire before the next road trip. The wife will just have to pack lighter!
Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two experiences one with my 996 and one with my 997 and both were very positive. The first my battery died and the second I got a flat tire on the Long Island Expressway at 9 p.m. on Good Friday (tire was destroyed and could not be repaired with the sealant kit). In both instances the flatbed came in a relatively short time and picked up the car. Importantly, Porsche (along with Lamborhini) is the only car mfg. that pays for storage if the nearest dealer is closed say at night or on a weekend. When I got the flat on Good Friday, I was more than 75 miles from NYC and with no way to get home except by the Long Island Rail Road. The tow truck driver had his wife look up the schedule and then took me to the nearest station that he regarded as safe at that time of night. He took my car to the local Porsche dealer the first thing the next morning.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 AM
boolala
Race Car

When I got a flat they brought a replacement wheel and tire to my house and took mine to the dealer.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by boolala
When I got a flat they brought a replacement wheel and tire to my house and took mine to the dealer.
That ain't going to happen in Pie Town New Mexico.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

All Porsche does is hire a tow service. I have had 2 good experiences. What makes it good is the person on the phone with you. When I called the # I thought I was speaking to a nice lady in Atlanta and she had a neat computer which arranged for the tow. She was actually in my city, so the # you use must direct the call to a city near you.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:38 AM
wetstuff
Pro

I hope Porsche NA can't read... My wife is small. She was about 1.5hrs from home. It was maybe the second time she drove our other Porsche. It wouldn't start.

She called Assistance - Porsche sent a rollback within an hour. It was another 1hr+ for him to get it to our dealer. ...she hadn't pushed in the clutch all the way. (too bad the Assistance person didn't have a cribsheet: 10 silly things newbie's do.)

When they cover silly mistakes; you gotta have a pretty high opinion of the service.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

I called them once, then again,.....and then again. Then I said F it. My dealer said it best, get an AAA card.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I used them twice. The first time my daughter had flat in her boxster and all they did was tow it to the nearest Porsched dealer where I got raped for a new tire.

The second time my 996 sprung a leak in the coolant tank. I managed to get the car home to my driveway. It took them a couple of hours to find someone who would flatbed it to the dealership. A bunch of the tow operators on their list did not have their flatbeds available and refused to come for it.

I guess it all matters where you are and who the local tow operator they use is.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
I called them once, then again,.....and then again. Then I said F it. My dealer said it best, get an AAA card.
+1
Old 08-20-2007, 11:42 AM
greenie
Advanced

AAA has its issues as well.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I called AAA....the flatbed driver wrecked my front bumper (which AAA paid for)...it took them 3 hrs to come and 3 phone calls (I had to have them take me home as I was late for an appointment). I called Porsche the next day, they had a flatbed there within the hour and took it to the dealer...no damage.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:52 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

You guys are scarring me - this Thanksgiving holiday I will be taking the Club Coupe cross country...

Oh No
Old 08-21-2007, 06:02 PM
Circe
Advanced

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I called AAA....the flatbed driver wrecked my front bumper (which AAA paid for)...it took them 3 hrs to come and 3 phone calls (I had to have them take me home as I was late for an appointment). I called Porsche the next day, they had a flatbed there within the hour and took it to the dealer...no damage.
Sounds like AAA service will take you home whereas Porsche Roadside will take you to the nearest dealer? If I'm 10 miles from home and have a non-repairable flat, I'd rather be taken home with Porsche than to my dealer, 20 miles away. Is it at all possible that Porsche uses some of the same local shops that AAA uses?
Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JFScheck
You guys are scarring me - this Thanksgiving holiday I will be taking the Club Coupe cross country...

Oh No
You just need to give us your route - there are enough board members across the US that could provide emergency help in a pinch - plus you could get real time weather reports too.

Quick Reply: Porsche Road Side Assistance