Sponsored by:

Fun DE today with Ira Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Fun DE today with Ira Porsche

Today I went to my first 'event' with my C4S. Rennlist sponsor Ira Porsche hosted a driver's education day out in North Andover MA today with superb instructors from Stevens Advanced Driver Training (www.skidschool.us) including Rennlister Jay Gratton along with his father and his uncle (the latter two are both former PCA Regional presidents and hence p-car fanatics).

The event took place in an 'abandoned' parking lot formerly belonging to Lucent Technologies. Rennlister Alfie and a few other folks from Ira were on hand along with a stable of p-cars from their stock including a C2, Cayman S, Boxster, and two Cayenne S's (06 and 08).

The morning instruction sessions were 1) straight line 'getting to know' ABS, 2) slalom runs, and 3) braking from about 70-0 with obstacle avoidance. Thus the sessions were focused on safety in the 'real' world.

In the afternoon, they set up an autocross course that was really a blast. I would say that maybe a quarter of the attendees (including your truly) used their own cars for this portion. The instructors were always on board which was really fantastic. I got to spend a few laps with Jay, and I let my buddy Alfie bomb around a few laps in my baby as well.

I know many people poo-poo the auto-X stuff but I have to tell you it was really a blast and does let you feel the limits of braking and handling and just what the car is really capable of. I have not been on a track in about 20 years and I must say that after today, it is now a priority item for me. When I was younger I tracked fairly regularly and remember the addictive quality to it - I've now been bitten again and can't wait to get back out there.

So after about a dozen laps on the auto-X, there was zero brake fade and no discernible difference in performance. Oil temp peaked at 250 (it was about 90F on the lot).

One more thing,....the Cayennes were really fun to run through the cones with and to do rapid braking obstacle avoidance with - they're great machines.

Here's a few pics I snapped:

The handsome guy in the middle is me with Alfie (left) and Jay (right). Please note the matching SY shirt and watch.

Some of the hardware on hand....

An unusually stunning example of a C4S - oh wait, that's my car.

Alfie and the instructors.

Cayman doing the rapid braking obstacle avoidance.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:58 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats this Dave no yellow socks!! Thanks for the pics.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Love your car and glad you had fun? Did you run on a road course (which would be a DE) or do Auto Cross?
Old 08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Love your car and glad you had fun? Did you run on a road course (which would be a DE) or do Auto Cross?
Purely autocross setup....I guess I mean "Driver's Ed" in the generic sense as opposed to Driving Experience in the Porsche sense.

And JP, no yellow socks. I can't pull that off.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:06 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for the pics Dave. Nice to see someone really enjoying their car for what it can really do.
Question I have is, was this DE organized through your local Porsche Club? Could anyone attend even if they were from another state? Looks like you had a great time. Next time get the yellow and black driving shoes as well.

Jay
Old 08-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Jay - This was organized (and paid for) by Ira Porsche. It is the first time they have done an event like this (to my knowledge). Most (if not all) of the attendees were previous buyers with Ira. A great time was had by all and I'm guessing they will have events like this again.

Part of the meeting time was devoted to talking about various events that are held by the various PCA regions. I believe next weekend is a PCA event being held at NHIS (Loudon) but I think it is sold out. If I can swing it, I might just go up to hang out and chat with other enthusiasts. I definitely plan on getting involved with my local PCA events.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:39 AM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

Dave, thanks for the write up and the pics, I'm glad you had a good time. I thought the event was a blast. It isn't often you get to see any fraction of what a stock Porsche can do in real world situations.

What I learned the most from was running your car on the Auto-x with chrono on and off, the difference was amazing. It certainly took some getting used to, not just the stiffer suspension, and the increased throttle, but the relaxed PSM as well. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to try that out.

All in all, it was a blast
Old 08-13-2007, 11:21 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Dave, I can't decide if the watch or the shirt is closer to Speed Yellow... <g>

Looks like you guys had a great time, thanks for sharing!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Dave, I can't decide if the watch or the shirt is closer to Speed Yellow... <g>

Looks like you guys had a great time, thanks for sharing!
After a day out in that sunny 90 degree parking lot, my face looks like Guards Red!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
What a pleasure it was to meet you and ride in your car with you. I can't thank you enough for all the kind words about out instructors and the event. I hope our paths cross again at another Stevens/Ira Day and I certainly hope to see you at a PCA event. My Dad, Uncle and I will be at NHIS this weekend (I'll only be there on Friday since I have to work) and we would love to see you and talk more Porsches with you.
Alfie,
I am reminded how much fun it is to hang with you bud! Lets not let so much time go by again before talking. I will swing down the dealer in the near future and we can chat again. Best wishes everyone! - Jay
Old 08-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Dave,
What a pleasure it was to meet you and ride in your car with you. I can't thank you enough for all the kind words about out instructors and the event. I hope our paths cross again at another Stevens/Ira Day and I certainly hope to see you at a PCA event. My Dad, Uncle and I will be at NHIS this weekend (I'll only be there on Friday since I have to work) and we would love to see you and talk more Porsches with you.
Alfie,
I am reminded how much fun it is to hang with you bud! Lets not let so much time go by again before talking. I will swing down the dealer in the near future and we can chat again. Best wishes everyone! - Jay
Great meeting you too Jay.
I'm definitely track bound now. I might go up to Loudon this weekend just to hang out.
See Ya around.

Quick Reply: Fun DE today with Ira Porsche