Sponsored by:

Third Radiator Kit anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

According to my service manager the gauges do actually work. They have seen them venture above 175F but only when an engine lost all its coolant. So, it truly is a temperature gauge and reports what it is experiencing, and not merely pegging at 175. Once again 1999Porsche911 makes a claim but then never backs it up with proof. I don't know why anyone reads this stuff from the self-professed oil and coolant 'expert.' He never cites his experience but is quick with the analysis. He's never opened up a 997 engine either.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
According to my service manager the gauges do actually work. They have seen them venture above 175F but only when an engine lost all its coolant. So, it truly is a temperature gauge and reports what it is experiencing, and not merely pegging at 175. Once again 1999Porsche911 makes a claim but then never backs it up with proof. I don't know why anyone reads this stuff from the self-professed oil and coolant 'expert.' He never cites his experience but is quick with the analysis. He's never opened up a 997 engine either.

Proof? Anyone who knows anything about the Porsche' engine knows that it is impossible for it to maintain a 175F coolant temperature....with or without a thermostat. As someone earlier mentioned, you were supplied with an IDIOT gauge and it is not an accurate reflection of coolant temperature.

But, if physics and common sense is not enough proof for you, then hook up your scanner and take a look. You are regularly above 200F and as high as 215F+. Or, for those cars that have the climate control screen ability, look at what the temperature shows there.

Your engine can't even get close to maintaining a temperature of 175F even in subfreezing weather. Your engine would not even run efficiently at this low of a temperature.

You should know the subject inside and out before attacking someone's creditbility. It makes you look like an *******. As a matter of fact, I am willing to purchase your car from you at the orginal purchase price if it can maintain 175F. Are you confident enough to purchae mine if it doesn't. Probably not.

I'm sorry that some of the claims that Porsche makes about your car is not correct. Get over it!
Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Once again, I'm asking for your background in the automotive field, particularly the 997. What's the story? You refused to tell us what you base your advice upon.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:46 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Once again, I'm asking for your background in the automotive field, particularly the 997. What's the story? You refused to tell us what you base your advice upon.

I am not offering advice in this thread....just stating facts. It doesn't matter if I have a PHD is Physics, or simply a taxi cab driver....facts are facts. You can either accept them as such or live in denial. I suspect you'll choose the later.

Posting your profile on the internet hardly make's it authentic.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Well, you certainly like to talk about oil and cooling on the internet, so I suspect it too isn't very authentic.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:24 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Well, you certainly like to talk about oil and cooling on the internet, so I suspect it too isn't very authentic.

Well, if I am wrong about the coolant temperature, you have a great opportunity to make some quick cash. Tell me what you paid for your car and we'll both fund an escrow account in that amount at WFC out by you and I'll drive out and we'll resolve the dispute. Whichever one is right gets the money. Sound's like a fair offer to me and you would be able to prove that I don't know what I am talking about.

Let me know as I am up for aother crosscountry drive.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Game on!
Old 07-26-2007, 03:21 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who gives a rats ***. If my oil is in the operating range that is all that matters. It is as simple as that.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the 2005 Porsche 997/997S Technik Service Information Book:
Cooling
As the 911 Carrera is available in two engine variants and the 3.8 litre engine has a higher cooling requirement than the 3.6 litre engine, the entire cooling system has had to be revised. A coolant pump with an approx. 13 % increase in capacity is employed to this end. This increase in capacity results from an approx. 3 mm larger impeller and an enlarged coolant inlet on the crankcase. This necessitated corresponding modifications of the seals. The oil-water heat exchanger has been enlarged to incorporate two additional cooling gills. The efficiency of the front radiators also had to be improved. Enlarging the radiators was not an option, however, due to lack of space. A third radiator for cars with manual transmissions too was deemed unviable on weight grounds. Against this background, optimising the existing cooling concept was the sole available option.

Fine-tuning has improved the radiator core and increased the efficiency of the supply and exhaust channels in the body. Continuous ventilation control for the radiators is additionally to be introduced for the 911 Carrera models from 2005.

The sum total of all the implemented measures resulted in a substantial improvement in cooling capacity. In order to reduce the extent of diversification, these modifications have been incorporated into both engine variants.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:00 PM
PAULSPEED
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Here is a place to get that third radiator kit.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=997sp

Paul
Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I STAND CORRECTED.

I talked to a friend of mine who has been racing for decades. He reported to me that nowadays even Porsche is putting idiots gauges in these things. The temperature gauge STOPS reporting at 175ºF (80ºC) despite having more to the scale. Apparently too many Porsche owners were pinging off the walls about 'elevated coolant temperatures' so Porsche decided to dumb them down to keep the complaint calls to a minimum. You'll have to get another sender and gauge to learn your true coolant temperatures if you want to evaluate the need for that third radiator in the center.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I STAND CORRECTED.

I talked to a friend of mine who has been racing for decades. He reported to me that nowadays even Porsche is putting idiots gauges in these things. The temperature gauge STOPS reporting at 175ºF (80ºC) despite having more to the scale. Apparently too many Porsche owners were pinging off the walls about 'elevated coolant temperatures' so Porsche decided to dumb them down to keep the complaint calls to a minimum. You'll have to get another sender and gauge to learn your true coolant temperatures if you want to evaluate the need for that third radiator in the center.
Interesting and I tok note of this, this weekend while at a track day at Sebring, FL. My coolant temp after hard runs never went above 175 and I though that was weird. I oil temp rose to a tick over 250 all the time.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:00 PM
rdv
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Agree with elh0102 - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If your 997 has an overheating problem with the two factory rads in the front wings and you are not using the car for track days, then there is probably a problem with the cooling system. Make sure it's up to snuff before you start adding the complexity of another radiator. If it overheats on track days, then yeah, it probably makes sense. But otherwise, my advice is save your $$$$.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

None of the stock 997/997S cars at this weekends 2 days Sebring event in 98 degree hot and humid Florida had any over heating problems.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Dave07997S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a feeling that was the case...when the thermostat is a 194 deg. thermostat and it stops reading at 175 deg. I thought that was fishy. BMW does the same thing...

Dave

Quick Reply: Third Radiator Kit anyone?