Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cabriolet in hot weather????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:09 AM
char6656
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabriolet in hot weather????????

I appreciate all the helpful info this website provides. Just have a quick question about convertibles in hot weather. With the top down and windows up will the ac on full can you stay comfortable.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2007, 02:20 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

Well sort of, but it all depends on how hot, how humid, and how direct the sun is. The beauty of the cab is that you can put the top up or down and crank the A/C either way to meet your needs.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:27 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by char6656
I appreciate all the helpful info this website provides. Just have a quick question about convertibles in hot weather. With the top down and windows up will the ac on full can you stay comfortable.

Thanks
Wait a minute, you are in Minnesota--how often do you really need to worry about the weather being too hot?!? Here in Wisconsin, just about any summer day is a perfect day for topless driving. The breeze is usually enough to keep me cool. If I need it a little cooler, I just drive faster!!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:04 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can get hot.....I live in SOCAL...but with the top, windows and wind diffuser all down and the airco on high (legs and center) it is okay....but not when standing in a traffic jam for to long!!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by char6656
Just have a quick question about convertibles in hot weather. With the top down and windows up will the ac on full can you stay comfortable.
The temperature per se was never an issue - the a/c cools you well when the top is down, windows up or down (unless you are wearing too many tight layers). On a side note, with regard to low temperatures, the heater is equally effective (here's a thread about cold weather: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/308740-cab-drivers-how-low-do-you-go.html).

That being said, for me the extensive direct exposure to sun rays has increasingly become an issue, despite sun blocker and so on; down here in Louisiana, you have many, many cloud-free days and as such my body has the most perfect farmer's tan anybody could dream of (you could play chess on me). That's one of the reasons why my 997 on order is a coupe. But if I'd ever move further north, I'd get a cab again. Ultimately, however, as JW said, it's up to you to put the top down or leave it up (I just hate driving around in a convertible with the top up when the sun is shining).
Old 06-30-2007, 09:43 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Sun and a cab...

My last Porsche was a cab and I remember many a days it was way too hot to have the top down because you either are going to get soggy pants or a burned forehead. Fortunately, I really reserve the top down for mornings and evenings when it's really nice out. I live in Dallas and it gets damn hot and humid, ac or no ac when the top is down. Summer is hell here, but the evenings and mornings are very nice.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 AM
NJtarga4
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Targa's are great can open the top get full ac or heat and always right
Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Alk
Instructor

Originally Posted by NJtarga4
Targa's are great can open the top get full ac or heat and always right
+1

That's why I just ordered a Targa 4S. On Long Island we have many beautiful Cab days, and there is nothing like a Cab on the right day, but the Targa offers a compromise on those days you don't really want to have the top down, but would like a lot of light and air. When the Cab top is up, I find the car feels a little too "dark" inside, and the rear visibility is a little limited.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget the unpleasant sweaty back from driving in the heat with top down, even with A/C. I never do that anyway, but I think you would still be unpleasant with the top down and trying to use A/C.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM
The B
Racer

I found when I had my Bozster S in Scottsdale AZ that it was all about the evening for the top down, daytime was to hot for me, but nothing could beat the drive up north scottsdale road in the middle of the night in summer with the top town at 6k RPMs...
Old 06-30-2007, 06:20 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Open spaces...

Something I didn't mention, that most of us already know, the coupe is a little tight, and chlosterphobic IMO. The cab gives me breathing space that is really appreciated. I haven't experienced the Targa, but imagine it provides more spaciousness than the coupe with a moon roof and less than the cab. I would love to hear from someone who has had a cab and a Targa.

Last edited by SilverSteel; 06-30-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:48 PM
boolala
Race Car

I live in Chicago and would never buy a convertible again. It gets plenty hot in summer even with the AC on full blast. Drive to work in mid day and get there all sweaty. Wind buffeting is not a problem with the windows up and the windscreen in back (on an SL). The only time I would enjoy driving it is at night. No more convertibles for me.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:57 PM
D.D.
Race Car

Originally Posted by boolala
I live in Chicago and would never buy a convertible again. It gets plenty hot in summer even with the AC on full blast. Drive to work in mid day and get there all sweaty. Wind buffeting is not a problem with the windows up and the windscreen in back (on an SL). The only time I would enjoy driving it is at night. No more convertibles for me.
Ditto here for me in N.J. Will NEVER own another convertible again!!!
Old 06-30-2007, 07:08 PM
boolala
Race Car

While in California and Hawaii I saw even fewer convertibles than in the midwest. At first I found this suprising but upon further reflection I guess a lot of people who live in "good weather" states don't appreciate needing a shower when they get to their destination.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I live in Chicago and would never order a coupe again. Cab is just perfect you can drive with the top down and no a/c easily up to about 85F without problems. Just wear a hat.

Quick Reply: Cabriolet in hot weather????????