Sponsored by:

Valentine 1 location

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 07:35 AM
princetonporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valentine 1 location

I just got the V1 and see that since it has rear radar/laser detection, location is important. How high can you mount it? Is it OK to mount it so it over the level of the rear view mirror and to the driver or passenger side? At that level will rear detection be compromised or should it be mounted lower. I've read that only the rear right side of the unit (1 inch) needs to be exposed so mounting infront of the mirror more towards the passenger side would be best but could not be concealed by flipping down the visor.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:47 AM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

I have mine just below the rear view mirror for the reason you state: adequate unobstructed view to the rear. I can't absolutely say that it is better than above the mirror as far as detection is concerned. It just makes sense, especially for laser detection.

Jerry
Old 05-27-2007, 04:22 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have mine mounted using the visor clip on the passenger side vidor. This provides no obstruction front or rear. I'm not sure why you would need to flip down the passenger mirror? I just tell my passengers they can use their hand or I'll be happy to let them out.

Joking aside, I have a very good reason why I don't put it behind the mirror. I will never leave a V1 in a car mounted on the windshield. This is because you can see it from outside the car. A few years ago, someone tried to still my V1 from one of my other cars. Hanging it from the passenger visor hides viewing it from outside the car. It also makes it a lot easier to switch between cars.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:04 PM
JMAGOLAN
Rennlist Member

I presume that with the visor mount, you have a coupe. There is much less rear window area on my cabriolet when the top is up, and sighting from the front of the car across the visor would have the V1 rear receiver "looking" through canvas. Hence the mounting position below the mirror on my car. I do not know what effect, if any, the canvas top has on radar frequencies (more knowledgable members of the list may be able to enlighten us), but I suspect that laser detection needs a "clear" view for optimum function. I do not leave the car unattended for any lenght of time with the V1 mounted for the reason you state.

Jerry

Quick Reply: Valentine 1 location