Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove 997 2S today... Disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 06:39 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my TIP......If i want I can kick it's *** and GO...but mostly I don't want to and want to sip my hot or cold drink while cruising.....I agree they could have given the TIP a couple of buttons so we could manually choose a setting (cruise, sport, extra fast)...but saying that you are dissapointed...WOW...I would not trade my (already old) P in for an even older, rougher one.

But in the end if your happy I am happy....in my eyes a P is a P...and I love them all.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:43 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

All of the Ferrari owners I know are also car people as well and I've never heard any of them utter a bad word about Porsches. One local owner I know bought a 997GT3 and a used 550 in the same month. He loves them both. Now if the original poster wants raw try a Lotus. They are cheap, fast, handle better than anything I've ever driven, and they are raw.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:06 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Hi people,

For some weeks I have been debating with myself to change my 964 C4 for a newer Porsche - Cayman S or 997 C2S are my options

Well, I went to the dealer today and test drove a 997 C2S with Tiptronic transmission. Immediately (yes, immediately !) I felt very disappointed with this car... The sound cannot be compared at all with my 964... It also didn't feel as quick as I thought it would be

On the other hand, the Tiptronic transmission is terrible. Very slow, up or downshift. It really kills the feeling !

I test drove last week a new TT with DSG transmission and it's true what the magazines say... DSG is by far the best automatic transmission, nothing compares to it !

Well, after my test drive of the 997 2S I took my 964 and just after starting it, wow ! The sound is awesome ! The roughness of the gear box, pedals and all is really an experience...

Gotta love the 964 !

On the other hand, sure the 997 TT or the 997 GT3 are incredible, but comparing my 964 C4 with a 997 2S Tiptronic I was really amazed by the result, not good. Maybe the Tiptronic transmission is to blame for ?

Just my experience of today, no bad feelings or bad intentions here !
This is like saying you took your dirt bike to a Honda dealership, test drove a Goldwing, and didn't like the exhaust or off-road ability.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:01 AM
raffi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had a 964, 993 and 996 previously and the only one i miss is the 993. but for a daily driver the 997 is by far the best.
although the 964 was a cab and i would never consider a cab again.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:50 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by 964C4
Until today I drove a tiptronic Porsche for the first time and found out that Porsche's tiptronic tranny is really slow... I thought it would shift much quicker, but no !
Did you drive the tip in manual mode? If yes, I challenge you to time gear shifts with it and your gearshift changes in a manual. The tip shift times will be shorter, even though you think you can shift faster - it's psychologic.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:54 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by getoutofmyporsche
agreed. If Tip is in M mode or if you drive Tip in D mode so wildly that Tip automatically starts from 1 not 2, then it would be a totally different experience. In normal driving, I must confess Tip (sucks and) is just one of those automatic tyranny in the market but also it is intelligent and convenient.
Of course you have to drive the tip in manual mode... The auto mode is just a stop-and-go rush hour convenience.
It always amazes me o read about people going for a test drive, sticking the tip in auto, and expecting it to perform, especially if it was previously driven at a sedate rate and memorized that type of shifting pattern...
Old 05-19-2007, 09:12 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Tiptronic sucks. Saps the life out of the 997. Not only is it a poor automatic transmission, but the shifter and clutch action, as well as pedal placement of the manual is sublime. And this is coming from a Tiptronic owner.

But I've complained plenty about this elsewhere on the forum.
OK you have a brake right next to the acellerator just like in the 6speed car...how's the pedal placement of the Tip sublime?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
OK you have a brake right next to the acellerator just like in the 6speed car...how's the pedal placement of the Tip sublime?
Re-read what you quoted me, chief...
Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Tiptronic sucks. Saps the life out of the 997.
Have to disagree. I would've agreed with you last week, but I've had a base 986 tip as a loaner for the past few days, and I think it's a really good car, and the transmission is excellent for the right person. The tiptronic upshifts at *exactly* the same moments I would shift if I were driving a manual. Upshifts occur crisply, though downshifts are a little muddy. In spirited driving - as spirited as we can get in Florida - it's a-ok as long as you're prepared to click-wait-downshift because there's a little tip lagtime.

For someone who wants to commute and wants the style of a Porsche over all-out performance, tip is a fine way to go. Admittedly, I feel like a bit of a poseur driving a purple automatic Boxster with the top down (yes, I am straight male), but it's a solid car. I wouldn't hesitate recommending a tip Porsche car to anyone who definitely wants automatic.

All that said: tip in Cayennes, that's another story. I really dislike Cayenne transmissions.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

I've spent some time in Tiptronic Boxster loaners as well, and I've found the shifts to be quicker than in my 997. I don't know if it's a different transmission, or different programming due to the Carrera's greater torque and 'GT' nature...but in my car the default is for "muddy" up and downshifts, and both cars annoyingly start in 2nd gear. On the track, in manual mode with PSM off, it's better...but it's still only a 5-speed.

Sure, for the average person it's fine, but my response was to the original poster who was obviously seeking a more traditional, sporting Porsche 911 feel, which is best had with the manual.

Incidently, I drove a friend's new S recently...first time with a 997 manual since the dealer intro back in 2004...and was reminded how much better the 997 is with a stick. It just begs to be rev-matched, and with the great clutch and stick action completes the overall tactile response from the car that with the Tiptronic is only felt through the fantastic steering and great seats.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:29 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The Tiptronic is why I dumped my 997 Turbo...

The Turbo is insane, feels nothing like a Carrera, the Turbo, is so tight, solid, and supersonic fast. The Turbo commands the road like nothing else, at 140MPH it feels like 50, it puts a smile on your face cause you know that you’re cheating death every time you get behind the wheel. I don't know what sounds better the turbos whining or the engine. The Turbo inspires you to be dangerous. There is so much power at your feet with the turbo it’s like nothing else I have ever experienced, like an FA-18 shooting up towards space with afterburners glowing. However, even a great car like that can lose it's charm when optioned with Tiptronic. Two things wrong with the Tiptronic: 1- one side should be up shift and the other down shift, 2- the button positioning is too easy to accidentally hit. Test a 6 sp C2S, and you should be a happy guy.

Quick Reply: Test drove 997 2S today... Disappointed