Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting contractor or electrician or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:50 PM
ikechukwu
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting contractor or electrician or neither?

Hi guys, I am 17yr old (from london) and have really pushy parents who really want me to become the usual professions of doctor, dentist or a lawyer. However I have always preferred more physical type jobs (no jokes plz ) and have always wanted to go into the construction industry and more specifically becoming a painting contractor or flooring or electrician and possibly setting up a business in the sector.
I am pretty money orientated people always tell me (probably because of my love of porsches and bmws) so if anyone knows about this industry money wise could you let me know.

Dont flame me plz,I am just a bit confused

THX and awesome cars
Old 04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

mos def flooring installer.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:13 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If your parents will back you up, go to the university first. You can always do those jobs afterward. You might not realize this, but you do learn something from school that can help you to run business.

Last edited by THPorsche; 04-30-2007 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VARSITY first, dude, then plumbing.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:30 PM
ikechukwu
4th Gear

Despite the fact that I know I shouldn't choose a career based on salary I can't help but to get put off by the payscale etc salary surveys for trade type jobs, I'll never be able to afford a porsche of that!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Following what you want is important, but even with the types of jobs you're looking into a good background in business and marketing can be a huge asset. Don't ever say that you won't make the money doing what you want - there's money to be made everywhere. The trick is figuring out how to make it. There are many landscapers, contractors, etc. that I know who make far more money than I do (and I do ok).
Old 04-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Do both. Go to school (parents happy, back-up career, better looking girls) and work part-time at your "physical job." Most of us here are here because of pushy parents that cared enough. You don't know how lucky you are.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:51 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did Cal in finance, then worked as a investment banker for 5 years and grew to know it wasn't my calling. I joined a HS friend and together with a few other old friends we built a 2-story house from the ground up. It was fun and frustrating, but we all learned a lot from the experience. That was in 78' and I've been building ever since.

In retrospect I'm glad for the education and the financial experience. I was exposed to many very smart people and most importantly learned a lot about work habits and person responsibility. Those traits have helped a lot over the years and set me apart from the usual contractors.

No one can offer real advise on what career is best for you. But start your journey by working your hardest at everything you do, and learn to always give your best effort. You want to alwys feel good about your efforts, and that reward in itself will carry you a long, long way....
Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by THPorsche
If your parents will back you up, go to the university first. You can always do those jobs afterward. You might not realize this, but you do learn something from school that can help you to run business.
Yup. Not to mention if you decide to open your own business later you'll have those skills.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 PM
fat cab
Pro

im a union carpenter in St Louis,5 years of going to the training center for two weeks every 6 mths,all paid for by the union and empolyers.did not have the chance to go to collage,{lack of $}. so if you have a chance to continue your education DO IT (IT being collage) work summers as a labor/ helper to find out if its your calling... you dont want to be a flooring installer!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:52 AM
stubenhocker
Racer

No matter the economic state of the world, people need electricity, and water, they can do without new floors.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:06 PM
fatman
AutoX

Do what you have the passion for. The money will always come. My youngest cousin had the same thought. He just finished Grad school with an engineering degree. He's probaly making a enough cash to wipe his ....
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM

Lightbulb

First get the degree, then do as Confucius advised many moons ago: Find a job you really like and you'll never have to work another day. Or you can marry a super wealthy, very hot girl and post pics of your new 36 room mansion, your hot new wife and extensive exotic car collection.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Sharptt
Pro

How about orthopedic surgery? It's basically carpentry on the human body so you can satisfy your mechanical urges plus make your parents happy.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

According to the term paper of one of my students, her father apparently had the same areas of interest that you have... electricity, plumbing, flooring, stuff like that. He started off working for a subcontractor to become more skilled in the various trades, then began buying cheap old neglected houses and fixed them up for sale (spending nights and weekends working on them). Over time, he bought bigger and bigger houses and eventually began building homes from scratch. He is now a major builder. However, for the longest time, he did not understand the business side of his trade (finance, accounting, marketing, etc.), which slowed down his growth significantly.

Quick Reply: Painting contractor or electrician or neither?