Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting contractor or electrician or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:41 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In the construction industry, electricians are at the top of the heap and are the most highly paid. If you want to own expensive cars that's about your only choice, unless you can become a master carpenter like Norm Abram and make fine custom furniture and have your own show on the telly.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:07 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you do kid (not meant to be derogatory in any way) get involved in something that you enjoy doing on a daily basis. Also remember, its OK to change your mind. I have been in the real estate finance business (with a Bank) for 17 years. The business has changed drastically to a point where I don't really enjoy it anymore. I will be out of the business and into something else (probably home building) in the next 18 months. Life is too short to do something that you don't enjoy 40 hours out of every week.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:22 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

I’m 20 year old self employed electrician. And since I’m so young the great state of California doesn’t let me become general contractor. Because experience only counts from 18 years of age. I have been doing this kind of work for many years, first in Europe and now in USA. Oh well ill wait few more years. I am also real estate investor, I deal with foreclosures and pre-foreclosures in south cali. I help people buy homes under market value and save others their credit history and still leave them with cash to start over. I also buy homes for my self. I’m still new to real-estate business but it seems promising. Some say it’s too take…I say no its not, if you get it at a right price. O and did i meantion i love my job, and the freedome it gives
Old 05-02-2007, 09:50 AM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by ikechukwu
Hi guys, I am 17yr old (from london) and have really pushy parents who really want me to become the usual professions of doctor, dentist or a lawyer. However I have always preferred more physical type jobs (no jokes plz ) and have always wanted to go into the construction industry and more specifically becoming a painting contractor or flooring or electrician and possibly setting up a business in the sector.
I am pretty money orientated people always tell me (probably because of my love of porsches and bmws) so if anyone knows about this industry money wise could you let me know.

Dont flame me plz,I am just a bit confused

THX and awesome cars
Remember this word in whichever endeavor you'd like to pursue. LUCK PS. The harder you work the luckier you will get!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a good education....because with that under your belt..you can do whatever it is you want!! Now that you are young you might want a physical job...but believe me!!! when you are in you 40tis...you might want a job where you can tell others to do the physical part for you!!! and for that you need an education! Just go in the technical engineering direction with your education!
Old 05-02-2007, 02:19 PM
ikechukwu
4th Gear

I know jobs aren't just about money but does anyone know what type of salary in general you would be expecting as a good self employed electrician or a electrician with a business?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:26 PM
blueillusion97
Racer

Being self employed is not so easy, because you need to find customers. So how much you make is all up to you. And you need a LOT of tools, thousands of dollars worth of tools, and a reliable van, and most of all stills. It’s much easier to start working at a company first at a lower salary but once you are good at what you do and have your own car at tools they pay you 50% of what the job is worth. Company charge much more than most of independent electricians, so some people make more working at a company, but you dont have that freedome. My friend is a manager at heating and air conditioning company and his good technicians get paid 50% of jobs, so during summer they make $10,000 $20,000 a month. But being electrician business is all year round. So really how much you make is all in your hands, it’s about how good you are. And eventualy you start your own business and thats when you do less labor and more bossing around
Old 05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just dont be a mechanic
Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Basically, you're young. At 17, I had no clue what I wanted to do. Most don't. I'm almost 20 now, and I'm not sure what I'll end up doing in life, and yeah, it stresses me out sometimes - but at the end of the day I know I have the drive and the work ethic and I know no matter what I do I won't settle until I'm the best at what I do. I think I'll be OK.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:29 PM
wetstuff
Pro

Tattoo 500's words somewhere you can see it every day: "Confucius advised many moons ago: Find a job you really like and you'll never have to work another day." Soooooo true.

Stay off your knees! I worked a concrete gang after the Army - all the cement finishers needed canes at about 50.

The only thing to remember - no matter what you do - you quite simply have to be at the top of the game.

We have local Docs who have no patients except for government paid ...lawyers who only get crap cases ...College professors that never get tenure - all smart (sort-of) ...and then, plenty of roofers, painters, plumbers, etc. that have horrible lives of ex-wives, booze & drugs ..and Mexicans that will outwork them.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:09 PM
bdmason
Instructor

Originally Posted by ikechukwu
I know jobs aren't just about money but does anyone know what type of salary in general you would be expecting as a good self employed electrician or a electrician with a business?
I'm a retired mason contractor due to health and union issues and a good friend of mine is a electrical contractor and we both did very well . Money depends on type of work how many employees you have and most important is how you push help and work to achieve max. performance and acceptable quality. In other words you have to push the **** out of um.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 PM
Blackdog71
1st Gear

Hello ikechukwu,
The sky is the limit when it comes to owning your own business. It is very difficult to run a business, but if you sacrifice and go above and beyond what your competion will do you will no doubt be successful. I was always told by my stepfather to work for yourself. I did go to college and found it boring but i did graduate. I bought an ambulance company with 11 vehicles and 15 employees in the year 2000. I now have 95 employees and 36 vehicles and it continues to grow every year. Today I spend about 25 hours a week in my office. I have others who help me with my business. The key to running a successful company is to surround yourself with the best help and treat them well. I'm not trying to brag by any means, all I am trying to say is believe in yourself and never doubt yourself. Many people will tell you it can't be done. I did what many others wouldn't do, which is to spend long hours to build a business. I would do it again though. I didn't come from money, so it can be done by working hard and saving money for your future business. Always go above and beyond what people expect and that will make you a winner. "Winners must have two things:definite goals and a burning desire to achieve them" You just have to want it and say to yourself how bad do I want it. By the way I will be in London the last week of August. Any recommendations? Take care and follow your dreams.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:52 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Ike, you've obviously passed the first stage of growing up in GB if your parents have given up on you becoming a professional footballer. The guys who have told you to go to university are right -- you won't regret it, and it opens doors. And it's fun, fun, fun. You should never go into a career like medicine, law, etc. if you don't really love it. I'm a doctor, and I've watched colleagues fall out along the way because they were really focused on cars and big houses and not the amount of work that goes into it. (For the record, I'll be buying one of each next year, but the work wouldn't have been worth it if I didn't like what I'm doing).

It sounds like you've defined some priorities, and may be the type to build and own a business in the construction industry. I've seen a couple of common threads in the people who have done this well:

-understanding of business. Generally via a degree in business or accounting
-they have done all the jobs in the company. If you want to be an electrical contractor, you have to be a good electrician first.
-first-rate leaders hire first-rate employees, and second-rate leaders hire third-rate employees
Old 05-05-2007, 11:59 AM
MyEmily
Racer

In So cal, A Self employed electrician avg net profit of $5k per residential house (3000 s.f.). One can avg 2 house per month. Based on one helper.... A painter get $4k per house, Again avg 2 a month...Based on 3 helpers.. It's all economic and location....It's hard work and labor intensive...It take a long time to develope your references. One can't just wanted to be a electrician and open up shop. Get an education, learn the fundamentals. Go to a trade college and learn all aspect of manual trades. Electrician, mechanical ventilations, Framing, civil, etc...Just immerse your self with more options before you settle in on one or two...
Old 05-05-2007, 03:13 PM
ikechukwu
4th Gear

thanks for the info guys, it's really useful. I'll probably go to uni do a business degree then learn a trade.
Really appreciate the help guys if you have anymore keep em coming

Quick Reply: Painting contractor or electrician or neither?