Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Can Barely Sleep: Taking first 997 Roadtrip! (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/330197-can-barely-sleep-taking-first-997-roadtrip.html)

ChrisF 02-11-2007 02:53 AM

Can Barely Sleep: Taking first 997 Roadtrip!

For a car geek like me, it's been a long dream to take (insert dream car here) up the CA coast from LA to Big Sur. I've done Hwy 1 to San Louis Obispo many times but i've heard that the drive on 1 above that is simply fantastic.

The wife and I leave tomorrow AM for Big Sur for a well deserved 5 day vacation. The thought of the drive has sustained me through the past several weeks at work. Yes, there will be relaxation and spa days when we get there, but to be honest, for me, it's all about the drive up, the 17 mile road and the drive home. I'm so excited I will have a hard time sleeping tonight.

Anyone done this in their Pcar?

jugger911 02-11-2007 03:10 AM

No, but sounds like fun! You had better take pics, or I will never talk to you again...

ChrisF 02-11-2007 03:15 AM

Planning on it. Have not taken one pic of the car or either of us in it since we bought it. Figure it's an opportune time to shoot a couple of avatar pix ;)

Coochas 02-11-2007 03:23 AM

Not in my p-car, but we spent our honeymoon in a rented Z4 driving up and down Highway 1 while keeping a base at the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur...we're planning the same trip again as our 5th anniversary celebration.

jcnesq 02-11-2007 03:23 AM

Sorry to be the one to tell you, but if you live in SoCal, that drive is MANDATORY when you get a new p-car!!! Beautiful territory and drive. But don't get crazy - had an acquaintance do that 3-4 years ago and he ended up rolling his 996 cab off a 600' cliff, and of course neither he nor his passenger came home.

ChrisF 02-11-2007 04:12 AM

coochas: How did you like Post House? We looked at both Post House and Ventana and opted for Ventana. Both are supposed to be very nice. PS: Absolutely love your car. SY was the color I originally was looking for. Maybe on the next one.

jcnesq: No, I expect the drive to be pretty mellow. My days of terrorizing the streets are long over. I can rest easy knowing I have a track day scheduled at Streets of Willow the following Monday in the EVO ;) Nowadays, the track is the only place where I drive anything above 7/10ths.

djantlive 02-11-2007 04:21 AM

have a fun and safe time!

i did the drive 8 yrs ago alone in my previous car - RX7TT. it was getting dark so i drove pretty fast bc i hate driving in curves in the dark. I plan on doing the trip again soon in my 996 cab.

jrgordonsenior 02-11-2007 09:20 AM

My partner retired to Morro Bay several years ago at the base of Hwy 1. He does the trip up in his 993 Cab just for lunch some days when he's bored. Truly one of the most spectacular drives on the planet, but definitely take the time to stop and smell the roses. There's art stores and restaurants in several little villages, the spectacular outdoor restaurant/bar on the cliff at Nepenthe:
http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ and the waterfall at Julia Pheiffer Burns State Park among others. If you're dog lovers, visit the old bar at Doris Day's Cypress Inn in Carmel where dogs and people hang out together having cocktails.

It rained last night so today Sunday should be a spectacular day. I would check road conditions as slides are common on the cliffside road, and there will be rocks scattered about. I just checked and Cal Trans is reporting no traffic restrictions for the road so enjoy the drive....

MrBonus 02-11-2007 09:41 AM

Sounds like fun. I'd really love to be out driving rather than sitting in the office.

DJ23 02-11-2007 10:54 AM

I've seen pictures of this road. Wish there was a highway like this in the North East. Enjoy and please take some pics of the coast line for us New Englanders. Can't wait for spring.

Jay

Coochas 02-11-2007 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisF
coochas: How did you like Post House? We looked at both Post House and Ventana and opted for Ventana. Both are supposed to be very nice. PS: Absolutely love your car. SY was the color I originally was looking for. Maybe on the next one..

Post Ranch was truly spectacular. We stayed in one of the tree houses (Grimes) as opposed to an ocean view -the tree house was really cool and despite the name, quite luxurious. The service there and the in-room spa services were exceptional. The restaurant was also spectacular. If you can't tell, I can't say enough good things about it!

Leader 02-11-2007 11:33 AM

You won't be disappointed by Ventana. And the drive up Highway 1 will be something you'll never forget.
Of all the great "drives" in California, the stretch from Morrow Bay to Monterey is probably #1. Enjoy!

E55AMG 02-11-2007 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by DJ23
I've seen pictures of this road. Wish there was a highway like this in the North East. Enjoy and please take some pics of the coast line for us New Englanders. Can't wait for spring.

Jay

You and me both. Although in CT you do have some nice stretches. I have to drive hours just to get somehwere decent!

Tony356993 02-11-2007 02:22 PM

I did that route many years ago - in a rented mustang - but it is spectacular. PICS when poss. Enjoy!

JSMDMD 02-11-2007 02:25 PM

Beautiful Drive...

Enjoy the drive! I did the drive several years ago when I had an NSX and still have fond memories of that trip! Take the time to stop and enjoy the views.......