Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 12:40 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by W211
Rick, quick question for you. Does the Gateway 500 retain the Random track sequence after you shut off the car and restart?

The NavTV version does not, the Porsche PCM singler CD player doesn't either. Curious..
It does not appear to. If you were playing a randomized playlist when shutting off the car, upon start up it will continue playing the same song, but the song position appears to be its default position in the non-randomized playlist. Also, the upcoming songs are not the same as before shutdown - I believe they are in the playlist's non-randomized order.

Last edited by rickhuizinga; 01-17-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:49 AM
shlbrn
Advanced

Rick,

I ordered the 500. I just downloaded the installation instructions and operational instructions. It all appears pretty clear but for one thing. I do not have Navi or CD changer. Do you know if there is a plug available for either splicing into the MOST ring or if there is a plug (too dark tonight to see) can you plug the 500 directly into that outlet?

I may just have to drive up your way once the unit arrives and snow clears for some help!

Deacon
Old 01-12-2007, 12:52 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by brente2
Rick,

I've seen you reference a 300+ playlist and how it works. any idea if there is a physical limit on the size of the playlist supported? e.g., can it support a 1k or 1.5k+ sized playlist?
Ummm, not sure. I don't see why it couldn't handle any size playlist that can be put on the iPod because the paging feature circumvents the 99 track PCM limitation.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 AM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by shlbrn
Rick,

I ordered the 500. I just downloaded the installation instructions and operational instructions. It all appears pretty clear but for one thing. I do not have Navi or CD changer. Do you know if there is a plug available for either splicing into the MOST ring or if there is a plug (too dark tonight to see) can you plug the 500 directly into that outlet?

I may just have to drive up your way once the unit arrives and snow clears for some help!

Deacon
If you don't have NAV or CD changer, there is a location in the front trunk where the CD changer MOST cable assembly is meant to plug into. I found this in the TSB section for the 987 (997 is probably the same?) on renntech.org. It was in the CD changer install TSB.

See the pair of orange cables in these two pictures? This is the junction point for inserting additional MOST components in the front trunk. There is a connector there that you should be able to tap into. Without NAV or CD, one side of the connector appears to go into the main cabin and the other goes to the AMP.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2007, 01:52 AM
shlbrn
Advanced

Thanks Rick,

I will remove the plastic tomorrow and look around. Contributed so I can view the TSB's..

Thanks again for your help

Deacon
Old 01-12-2007, 01:59 AM
W211
Racer

Thanks Rick, I'm definitely getting the Gateway 500 to upgrade from NavTV. Porsche definitely missed the boat on this one, would have been a most popular option, over 2000 views in a few days.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:26 PM
shlbrn
Advanced

Rick,

I have pulled off the plastic etc and found the TSB on adding a cd changer. Located the wires and got them loose from the body and was able to pull the plug apart (carefully). As you said, one inside the plastic cover goes into the body and the other heads off toward the center of the car. What had me a bit confused is that the TSB shows an amplifier and I had forgot to take off the cover

So now that everything is uncovered etc. I wait for the unit to show up...good thing its icy and lots of gravel o the road for now, I am not good at patience.

So I unplugged the connection and the line that appears to go to the amplifier has one side that displays a red light. I assume this is the fiber optic cable. Not having received the 500 yet, I am curious about making the connection. Is it set up to just plug in line or do you have to do splices as shown in the installation manual? Is the line without the red light the power supply?

Maybe this will all become clear when the unit shows up, but I do appreciate your comments and experience.

Shows location of plug detached from body (below red handles on needlenose).

Close up of MOST plug

Close up of interior of plug (Male) going to amp. Note red light on left (#1).

Now that I look at it my assumption is that you splice into the two lines as shown in the instructions and then find continuous power and ground. Any suggestions on where to locate those?

Deacon

Last edited by shlbrn; 01-13-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Photos
Old 01-13-2007, 05:06 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Check for an extra plug on left side for the power to the CD player. If you don't have Nav the harness may not be there. It is shown in the TSB for CD or Nav! I haven't had a chance to check mine for power, but I have Nav. no CD and the plug is there!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:23 PM
shlbrn
Advanced

Larry,

There is a plug on the left but it is not fiber optic. It has 3 small wire leads going to it, rectangular in shape similar to the plug on top of the black plastic box.

From looking at various diagrams it would appear that the wiring harness for the Nav has the extra plug in.

Deacon
Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

I only mentioned these as possible POWER sources, I am waiting for the group buy and am trying to plan out everything.. Am not home so I havent been able to ascertain if these plugs are a constant 12 volt source for power.. You should have both Nav power and CD power,even if neither is present and the harness is there. I don't know if a separate fuse is needed in the line or if they are live. I believe Rick tapped into the Nav, power plug.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM
ph997
Intermediate

Other place to tap into the MOST is the amp (at least for BOSE car). It is accessed in the trunk below the area for the cd changer and nav (behind the tire inflation stuff. Fiber optic cable is on the right (car left) as you look at it. There is a small tab to squeeze and it easily pulls out of the amp from behind the speaker wires.

Both cables are used to create the fiber optic loop. The one that is lit red is the incoming signal. When installing the Gateway 500, just be sure to keep the light path direction straight. The install instructions cover this pretty well. My 500 is in the mail. Can't wait to get it next week.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:44 AM
mishref
Advanced

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Check for an extra plug on left side for the power to the CD player. If you don't have Nav the harness may not be there. It is shown in the TSB for CD or Nav! I haven't had a chance to check mine for power, but I have Nav. no CD and the plug is there!

I checked my car out today: 2006 Carrera S (MidEast specs) with Nav (No-CD).

This is what I found:

1. The Fiber connection going to the NAV drive is the Yazaki connection (as mentioned here: http://www.dension4u.de/shop/product...oducts_id=1441)
2. There was an extra plug behind the NAV unit; it had three cables going into it. Possibly used to power the CD Changer.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:01 AM
shlbrn
Advanced

Sorry about the power vs FO. Found the plug on car right (left facing the trunk) behind the carpet, high. I will test for power today, voltmeter crapped out

Anyone have any idea of mapping on colors of the wires?

Also found the other FO location behind the main loom for the amp, took a minute to figure out the multiple stage release on the loom, pull the bottom down, slide loom out a little, pull down more and it totally releases.

Hope this helps others locate wiring...

Deacon
Old 01-14-2007, 11:44 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

It's very encouraging that we have all these potential FO places to tap into. Identifying definitive Electrical taps will set us up for easy basic install. The real challenge, I see, will be plumbing into the glove box or wherever, for the control module and i-pod cord!!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:24 PM
rickhuizinga
Advanced

Originally Posted by shlbrn
Rick,

I have pulled off the plastic etc and found the TSB on adding a cd changer. Located the wires and got them loose from the body and was able to pull the plug apart (carefully). As you said, one inside the plastic cover goes into the body and the other heads off toward the center of the car. What had me a bit confused is that the TSB shows an amplifier and I had forgot to take off the cover

So now that everything is uncovered etc. I wait for the unit to show up...good thing its icy and lots of gravel o the road for now, I am not good at patience.

So I unplugged the connection and the line that appears to go to the amplifier has one side that displays a red light. I assume this is the fiber optic cable. Not having received the 500 yet, I am curious about making the connection. Is it set up to just plug in line or do you have to do splices as shown in the installation manual? Is the line without the red light the power supply?

Maybe this will all become clear when the unit shows up, but I do appreciate your comments and experience.

Shows location of plug detached from body (below red handles on needlenose).

Close up of MOST plug

Close up of interior of plug (Male) going to amp. Note red light on left (#1).

Now that I look at it my assumption is that you splice into the two lines as shown in the instructions and then find continuous power and ground. Any suggestions on where to locate those?

Deacon
With the included parts, the optical connection is very simple - the important part is observing the direction of the light when connecting the cables.

So, one way to make the connection for this example is:

1) Pop the blue plastic locking pin out of the connector
2) Pull the cable with the red light coming out the end from the connector
3) Using the included male-male optical coupler, place the cable that was just removed into the coupler and the end of one of the two included optical cables into the same coupler. Snap the coupler together
4) Place the end of the second of the two included optical cables into the car's connector (from steps 1&2). Re-insert the blue plastic lockng pin, and re-connect the two car connectors if they had been unplugged.
5) Connect the two loose ends of optical cable to the Gateway 500 using the two included male-female couplers. You will need to observe the optical direction, connecting the cable that had the red-light output into the input of the Gateway 500.

As you can see, making the optical connection is going to be very easy.

Rick

Last edited by rickhuizinga; 01-14-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today