Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Bob, I'm comin' over when I get my car!!

I'll buy you some bbq and a beer!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deal, I'm waiting.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000RPMan
Eric,
Any update on the group buy?
Coming...

We only got a few units in the first shipment, and sent those on to folks who had already ordered, along with a handful of pro installers we work with for initial install/feedback/etc.

So far, so good. Limited features, but for the price, it should do the trick. Our shipment of 200 BT adapters is sitting at US customs. Expecting it to arrive late next week.

Everyone on the GB list will be notified as soon as we know the units are in or nearly in. Don't want anyone waiting like the first time 'round.

We should have them by the week of the 9th, so if you are on that list, expect email from us any day. And be sure your email filter allows eric@bumperplugs.com in. Some folks have some serious filtration!

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 06-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Iphone works with Gateway 500 Running Version 2.02

Unlike all the looneys who stood in line for hours, I went down to the AT&T store nearest my house at about 6:30pm and roughly an hour later had my Iphone in hand.

I tried it with the Dension this morning, and it works. You will get a message on the Iphone that this is not an approved Iphone accessory and it asks whether you want to put it in Airplane mode due to possible electronic interferences. That's the same message you get when plugging in any docking cable that was pre-Iphone days. And you also don't see the dension splash screen, ok to disconnect, and I'm not sure whether it is charging or not as the Iphone was fully charged at the time.

But in any event, for those of you who were wondering, wonder no longer. The Dension will work with the Iphone as well as it does with a Nano or Ipod (tongue firmly in cheek, as the Gateway 500 could stand some refinement).

BTW the Iphone is sweet--even on edge, the web-pages don't load all that slow, although I admit my experience with smart-phone web browsing is with AT&T/CINGULAR on a blackberry, which totally and truly is an awful experience. And the keyboard really does work well. The advice to start off using one finger makes sense--helps train your hand/eye coordination. The software does a really good job figuring out what you mean to press, and I get about the same "fat finger" mistakes using it, as I did on a blackberry.

Probably should have waited for the rumored 3G next generation, but it was just too darn much fun. And I hope all the "profiteers" in NY and elsewhere enjoy futile attempt to sell one on ebay or craigslist at a premium. Unlike some other tech companies (a la PST3 and Wii) Apple had good supply day one.

And oh yes--to all those who say X phone does all the same things other than the touch screen, here's the thing. You can perform surgery with a can opener or a scalpel. After all they both will cut you.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Paul, congrats on the iPhone. Take some shots with it at the car so we can drool a bit.

Oh heck, how ironic, this is Post #500 on the GW500 thread!
Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
wprater
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default USB Hard drive and bus power

Sorry to post in this thread, but there already seems to be a bit of discussion on the "functionality" of this unit.

Can someone tell me if you can use a bus powered USB drive with the Dension unit?

Also will the Dension unit decode AAC files (unprotected) from a USB drive or only from the iPod?

I got mine yesterday but have had no time to install and seeing that my iPod appears to be broken Im trying to decide if I should get a replacement HD for the iPod or get a USB HDD.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:40 PM
W211
Racer

Quite sure I have played AAC files from my USB flash drive on the Dension unit. I understand the bus powered USB drive requires a power booster.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:13 PM
wprater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by W211
Quite sure I have played AAC files from my USB flash drive on the Dension unit. I understand the bus powered USB drive requires a power booster.
OK - if you have a chance to confirm that would be great. Also the power booster that I've found need two USB ports:
[cant post the link]

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:50 PM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the a USB thumb drive with .wav or MP3 files all the time. I would check with Eric for an answer.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We can supply the USB power booster, it's an accessory from Dension.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:17 PM
wprater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
We can supply the USB power booster, it's an accessory from Dension.

Great! I cannot see it on your site or theirs. Can you send me a link to the description and cost?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's not on the site as it's not a commonly requested item. Email works, we'll set up the order for you.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:39 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

Eric,
The BTA came today, thanks. I seem to be having a problem with it, though. I sucessfully paired it to my iPhone. While the iPhone then showed paired with the BTA, the PCM display said "in progress". Then, when I had a friend call, I saw the accept or reject options, along with his number, but I could not select any option and never actually picked up a call. I did this a few times. Also, after about 10 more minutes of fooling around, it seems that the BTA is not paired, while the iPhone still says paired (he called again and I got no accept or reject, or even his number on the screen). I cannot find a decent set of directions, and the Dension directions are worthless. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

i have found the same issues with the iphone. my samsung paired easily and i was able to receive calls with accept or reject. I can not get the iphone to work.
See other comments on larrytrk's BT post
Old 07-12-2007, 09:52 PM
9000RPMan
Intermediate

I seem to have it functioning now. When I get a call, the FF button accepts it, and the back button rejects. The next issue is that the volume is terribly low. I had to turn the volume up so high that when the call terminated the music comes back on at a really high volume. I will have to play with the volume controls on the phone as well as the radio to see how I can fix this.

Quick Reply: Dension Gateway 500 iPod Adapter Arrived Today