Sponsored by:

Sand beige and windshield reflection

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Al Morales
I just got my new 991 Dark Blue Metallic with Luxor Beige interior. My salesman warned me about this but I got it anyway. Well I can tell you that the reflection is annoying and distracting. The solution is to wear polarized sunglasses. I had a 997 and it was not so bad but I think it was because of the angle of the windshield. The 991 windshield is more slanted/aerodynamic so the angle creates more reflection. I think Porsche should polarize the windshield straight from the factory.
Yes, the 991 windshield has more rake than the 997.

If Porsche polarized the front windshield, and someone needs to / or wants to wear polarized sunglasses, there'd be a bigger problem there.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Al Morales
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Yes, the 991 windshield has more rake than the 997.

If Porsche polarized the front windshield, and someone needs to / or wants to wear polarized sunglasses, there'd be a bigger problem there.
Please elaborate
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have 2 pieces of polarized glass that you are looking through, there will be an angle at which no light is let through. (90 degrees)
You won't be able to see where you are going.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:10 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the natural brown full leather interior. There is some reflection at certain hours of the day, but it's never a distraction.

I've never heard of having vision obscured by polarizing glass. Has anyone experienced that?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Skibum
Banned

It's not from a single layer of polarized glass. It's from a polarized windshield combined with polarized glasses.

Next time you see a rack of polarized sunglasses, take 2 pair, holding the lenses so you look through both, and rotate one of those pair.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:59 PM
pewter82
Drifting

There needs to be a "wrap" designed for the instrument pod, and possibly over part of the dash. same kind of stuff used in the older fighter plane's cockpits. Actually Ford used a non reflective material on the dash pods in some of there cars in the early 2000's.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sand Beige full leather can be slightly distracting in the right light. I bought partial leather and that was partially the reason why. The textured, less shiny dash in a partial leather car is not a problem at all. Plus you get to save a bunch of money to put towards upgrading the lame exhaust sound.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Slight sun glare but polarized sunglasses minimizes the issue.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I have sand beige and there is some glare in direct sunlight, but I have zero problems reading gauges or the PCM.

I also always wear polarized lenses ( fly-fisherman) so it's a non-issue for me. I'll take some pics for you tomorrow in direct sunlight and post them.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas

I had the sand beige. At first I remember being annoyed by some glare/reflection, but I soon forgot about it. It seems you get used to it in a short time. I tracked the car, did all the usual stuff and do not remember it being a real issue.
I suppose if you dwelled on it and stared at it all the time it would drive you bonkers.
I was too busy looking waaaaay down the road.

I will say that I loved the color and it was very cool to the touch in a hot climate.

Last edited by Datura; 07-31-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

The worst for me is trying to pull into my garage at certain times of the day. So I would say it's only a problem at a certain sun angle for me.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:38 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by X51
The worst for me is trying to pull into my garage at certain times of the day. So I would say it's only a problem at a certain sun angle for me.
True. My experience is when I pull out of the garage in the morning.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
It's not from a single layer of polarized glass. It's from a polarized windshield combined with polarized glasses.

Next time you see a rack of polarized sunglasses, take 2 pair, holding the lenses so you look through both, and rotate one of those pair.

If a car manufacturer considers polarizing a windshield, they take into consideration a driver wearing polarized lenses. As a result, they are careful to match the direction of the windshield's polarization to that of the majority of sunglasses--which is horizontal. Horizontal polarization cuts that glare that you will get off the roadway. If they polarized the windshields vertically everyone who slips on a pair of polarized sunglasses will have serious issues!
Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 PM
GaGuy
2nd Gear

I have a 2013 Boxster---actually my SECOND 2013 Boxster which I traded in after 6 weeks of ownership because of the windshield glare from my beige dashboard. VERY EXPENSIVE to do that, but I couldn't see properly and I thought it was (and is) a safety issue.

Anyone interested in joining in on some legal action to force Porsche to stop making the light color dashboards like almost every other car manufacturer out there?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM
fastm3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GaGuy
I have a 2013 Boxster---actually my SECOND 2013 Boxster which I traded in after 6 weeks of ownership because of the windshield glare from my beige dashboard. VERY EXPENSIVE to do that, but I couldn't see properly and I thought it was (and is) a safety issue.

Anyone interested in joining in on some legal action to force Porsche to stop making the light color dashboards like almost every other car manufacturer out there?
I don't know if you're serious about this, but I love my sand beige interior and have zero problems with reflection! By the way, my BMW 5 series has the same colored interior (beige dash) and I have no problem with that either.

Quick Reply: Sand beige and windshield reflection