Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Floor - Race Deck Installed

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:02 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

I think one of the biggest advantages is that if you damage or wear a section, you can replace just that section or tile, like interlock rather than redoing the whole floor.
And if you need to as you cars may change, you can change colors in certain areas as the need arises.
My neighbor is ready to redo his epoxy after 8 years.
Old 03-29-2023, 10:35 AM
jbl16
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 95 Posts

I've had racedeck for 2 years in my Michigan garage, We have constant snow/salt/slush in the winter. It melts and drains under into our bay drains. 4 post lift sits right on top of the tiles no issues. Highly recommend. My epoxy quote was almost 2x the cost of my racedeck tiles, and I doubt it would survive 10 years of abuse.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:08 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

I have racedeck in a rental and it works fine for what it is. I did some fancy metallic color swirly epoxy thing in my house and while it looks good it is overkill. Next time I'm just going to seal the floor with a high quality high voc sealer. I did that in the basement and much prefer the natural look. It may not be as protected but think it would do the job for 90% of people.
The following users liked this post:
jbl16 (03-29-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 08:46 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xuledywo
Hi there I'm looking for some advice from people who've finished their garage floors. Currently, I've narrowed down the field to Epoxy covering and/or Racedeck. The Epoxy job will be done by professionals and has a 10yr warranty, the bid costs a bit more than Racedeck. My question regarding Racedeck is doing it pop when you walk on it if the concrete floor isn't perfectly flat...or over concrete expansion joints...? The pictures of Racedeck look OK - although some pics have that cheap reflective plastic sheen revealing all the tiles. I know they now make a larger tile that might work better to reduce tile patterns. Another question for the Racedeck owners - If you spill something on the tiles does the liquid seep between the tiles...?
Racedeck does just sit on top of the floor, so has a slightly loose sound when walking on it, which may bother you. Personally, I prefer the professionally installed epoxy floors (assuming you have a good quality concrete floor to put it on) as I think they are a more permanent solution and are easier to sweep and clean. But it can be pricey, depending on how much grinding and/or etching your floor may need. And of course, you ideally need to do the whole floor at one time whereas with Racedeck you can install it in segments. Good luck. Either solution will look good. BTW, I don't recommend a DIY epoxy floor. I did one when I moved to my current house in 2012 and while it turned out OK, it doesn't look as good as the good professional installs. I used a product that cost about $800 for my 22x25 garage, which was costlier than some of the cheaper stuff at HD etc, but I think it has held up reasonably well.

Last edited by KeninBlaine; 03-29-2023 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added diy comment.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:37 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 171 Posts

Just figured I'd add my epoxy pic. It got more grey after the final top coat. It's been on for close to a decade but the urethane top coat never adhered well so I do need to sand that off and re-apply and this time with some grip additive as it was super super slick before. Next time though, definitely just sealing it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2023, 08:31 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

That looks great but damn, if you work on your own cars, don't drop any washers or screws! You'll never find them again.
The following users liked this post:
ManoTexas (03-31-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:56 AM
gutenfreibier
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

The racedeck does definitely have a clicking sound when you walk over it. Very similar to a laminate floor that hasn't been anchored down to a subfloor. It bothered me for about a week, now I don't notice it at all. The only downsides I have found is that I tend to want to sweep / mop the racedeck a little more often, and that the tiles will deform with the old angle iron style jackstands on them (as discussed) unless some plywood or something is used to spread the load out. I have also seen my jack wheels denting the floor. The floor tile does return to 95% of its original shape, and it is not noticeable unless you were to go and look for it.

Last edited by gutenfreibier; 04-02-2023 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Garage Floor - Race Deck Installed