Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 11:47 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts
Default How to handle a vendor

What do you guys think?

I ordered headlight and turn indicator lense protector film from a company recently. I had put protectors on my last car, and was very happy with them. Unfortunately, not only did I forget who I bought them from, I forgot that I posted the info on Rennlist. If only I had searched . Ok, so I'm a dumbass.

At any rate, the film came, and it is about half the thickness of the ones I bought last time, and the ones I bought last time came with instructions and a nice little squeegee tool to install them. These did not.

So... I contact the company via email and said "I'm unhappy with the product and I would like to return it. They said "these things are cut specifically for you car. no returns". That's certainly BS, as they will fit any 997. I told them "do you really want to lose me as a customer in the future, and screw up your reputation with the Porsche crowd?" They said "no returns".

Waddaya think? Eat my humble pie for being a dumbass, or send the product back anyway, try to cancel the charges, and post the vendors name on Rennlist as someone to not do business with?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

post their name definitely
Old 11-14-2006, 12:02 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

The problem here, Mike, is that we have only heard your side of the story. If, for example, the "vendor" had clearly stated to you there would be no guarantees or returns and you knowingly bought it anyway, then so be it...your bad. The best way to think about it is to put yourself in the "vendor's" shoes.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would first read the fine print and if says no returns then you bought it! If it does not say that I would inform the company that there is no such statement on the order and that you will return it for a full refund, if they say again no then tell them you will again return it and get a credit placed back on your credit card. As far as posting stuff about them I would keep the high road and past a comparison when you get another product.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rountreed
I would first read the fine print and if says no returns then you bought it! If it does not say that I would inform the company that there is no such statement on the order and that you will return it for a full refund, if they say again no then tell them you will again return it and get a credit placed back on your credit card. As far as posting stuff about them I would keep the high road and past a comparison when you get another product.
As tempting as the low road often is, the high road is always the best choice. I just have a hard time choosing it sometimes. In this case, the website says

Return Policy: Buyer recognizes that all orders are custom manufactured after order is placed. Therefore, under most circumstances any request to return product due to reasons other than product defect or incorrect shipment (i.e. wrong parts, incomplete parts, etc.) is not allowed but on occasion we do make exceptions. All *approved* returned products will be subject to a 25% restocking fee. To process a return, please contact us at returns@invisiblemask.com to receive the return information. We must receive all returned merchandise in resalable condition before credit will be issued.

So, it is only partly clear. I'm happy to pay the restocking fee, and I've told them that. They have the right to tell me no return I guess. It just is bad business imho.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like they did anything wrong and they certainly don't deserve to have anything negative posted about them.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I assume this correctly, their price is cheaper than the one you got perviously????????????? You should know you get what you pay for.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:58 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Price is the same. i agree that i screwed up. i don't think the return would harm the vendor, and he would show good faith by taking it back. i really appreciate everyones input.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Lozzy997
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess we can see who they are from the website cut and paste.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 PM
porschewife
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a couple things bugging me here.
First is the thought that a thinner product is inherently inferior to a thicker one. The jury is out on that as I've seen many reviews of this material from this vendor and they are almost universally good. The web site also says headlight film is .014 thick.
Second, I looked at the website, and pardon my french, even a girl like me understood it. The return policy looks sound. It said they build to order, fix their mistakes and leave themselves the option to accept a return outside posted policy if they want too. I didn't see "fine print", I saw a full disclosure on the entire process.

Personally, I'd install or have it installed. It has a good reputation.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Mglobe - check your PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Since Porsche has gone to plastic for our "lenses" is any film needed to keep them from shattering? Isn't this stuff pretty tough Lexan or whatever that tough plastic is? I read in my Porsche Carrera manual that Porsche highly recommends against putting such films on the 997 lights.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

After listening to everyone, I've decided that I will NOT reveal the vendor's name or post anything negative about them. I still feel that they should take the kit back, as they will not be out any money, and they will foster good will. But you all are right that they are explicit about returns not being automatic. I'll just chalk it up to a brain fart on my part and move on. Glad I took the time to get a reality check from everyone. Thanks for all the input.

As far as the need for the film, I've broken so many lenses and windshields while driving around Houston, that I just feel the need for some sort of protection up front. I've already replaced a windshield on this car, three weeks into ownership. I'm very doubtful that they do any harm, and I'll just take the chance on that. wrt the value of additional thickness, it seems to me that what these things do is take the impact of a flying object and basically spread the force out over a larger surface area. Something that is thicker and more rigid should be able to do a better job of that. Jeez, where is a rocket scientist when we need one? Calling OCben, got any comments?

Quick Reply: How to handle a vendor