Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions needed- winter options!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 PM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Opinions needed- winter options!

Here's the background, I have a C4S Cab with 3M clear bra and am considering driving it in the winter here (we get approx 140" snow/yr) and the roads are well plowed and treated with either a fine gravel or salt. Presently have lobster rims with OE pilots (summer tire).
I have looked at the tire rack knock of rims and they "require" OE TPMS sensor. Do you think this is necessary (anyone go without) and if so what are dealers charging for purchase/install?
Also am considering hardtop. Has anyone ordered this after purchase? If so how much?
Thanks!
Old 11-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I would seriously encourage the installation of the TPMS sensors in your winter rims as well. (I noticed lately on Rennteam a Norwegian 997 TT with the XRR rims with a nice winter tire installed. Michelin Pilot Avalanche?

Also, getting a hardtop after the fact is a pricy venture for a 997. You CAN find a surplus one from a 996 car, perhaps, but keep in mind that the install kit on the car side of the equation is reportedly steep. (That may be to retain a heated rear window,--I can't say if that's what helps drive up the retrofit price).
Old 11-09-2006, 11:02 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 18" Turbo Twist knock-off's with Conti snow tires. I ordered TPMS with my car but the winter wheel setup is from my previous car so has no TPMS fitted. The dealer told me not to bother until 07 when it will be mandatory to have TPMS on both sets of wheels. However you can't turn off the warning that tells you TPMS is not working. So about 5 minutes into each drive I get the TPMS yellow symbol and the ! display telling me TPMS is not working. I read somewhere that the sensors cost about $400 (much less than $1K quoted by the dealer) so my have it fitted before long.

As to the hard top it really depends whether you park your car in a garage or not. Mine is garaged at both ends of the commute so I see no need for the hardtop. You really don't notice the car being cold in -10F/-15F with the soft top. The heater is very efficient and the butt warmers do a good job of putting Chernobyl in the shade.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:27 AM
peer
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks
1k seems a little high for the sensors. I will call and see what the dealer quotes.
I guess the hardtop is not going to happen. What do you treat your cab fabric with?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I've read that one good top treatment is green Scotchguard. Mask off paint, glass, and then go to town on the fabric. Then brush it in well while still wet.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:26 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think you will need a hardtop. We get 350" of snow per year here in Park City, and I drove a 2002 BMW 325CiC convertible as my daily driver for a few years. I put on Blizzaks and descending and ascending 3000 vertical feet (Parley's Canyon/Summit) to Salt Lake City all winter and had ZERO problems. (Oh yeah - we didn't garage it b/c I have PCars to protect!)

Initially, I planned to order the hardtop, but the softtop ended up being quite warm and didn't leak a drop. Seat warmers are a must, however!

Best of luck~
-B
Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hone your winter skills, sign-up for:
CAMP4 - COLORADO

Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We don't get that much snow here in NoVA, but there is so much salt/sand on the road, I can't bear to drive it in those conditions. My solution is an Evo IX RS for the winter/daily driver duties.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:57 PM
zose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't tell the exact color of your car. I have a black hardtop off my 2004 911. In perfect shape used only occassionally. Have ordered a new C2S coupe so don't need. I also have a cover and stand happy to give you a great price.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:04 PM
rmklaw
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought through ebay a set of lobster rims and also TPMS sensors and I am using winter tires in Colorado.

Quick Reply: Opinions needed- winter options!