Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Problem - Key doesn't fit...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:13 AM
ziege
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Problem - Key doesn't fit...

Interesting problem today...

Got done washing the car in the driveway and when I went to start it I reached into my pocket and accidentally grabbed the wrong key (to a toyota land cruiser) and stuck it in the ignition and turned.

Okay it was getting dark, and I'm an idiot, but the key fit in there. Once I realized the car wasn't starting I pulled out the key and found the problem.

So now the correct key will not go in the ignition. Called roadside and they informed me that I am immobilized, and will need to call the dealer in the am.

So I'm hoping that they can come to my home and reset so I don't have to get a tow, but won't know until tomorrow.

Anyone have any other ideas on how to fix the problem, or am I stuck waiting for the dealer to fix?
Old 11-06-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by ziege
Okay it was getting dark, and I'm an idiot,
You really made me crack up with that statement...anyway sorry you're having the problem, as a long shot you can try disconnecting the battery and retrying.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if the key wont go in your not imobilized, your broken, imboilizer would make the ar not start but the key would go in and turn. is the key hole in the proper position, can you coerce it in with some gental pressure?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:56 AM
D.D.
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also try moving the steering wheel....I've had the steering wheel lock up and the key would not turn until some of the pressure was released and the steering wheel could turn and the lock released. Keep us posted!
Old 11-06-2006, 10:22 AM
ziege
Instructor

99firehawk:

The outter lip of the key hole will turn to the different positions. The key just won't go any deeper than about 1/8" and it stops... I've tried messing with it to see if it will go in at the different positions, but no luck...

It actually does feel "broken" to some extent, so I haven't played with it too much.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:39 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

thats strange, the lock is just a hole the key that goes in doesnt matter, its not keyed to the vechile.
call the dealer and see how much they want for one it shouldne be expensive and about an hours labor to change
Old 11-06-2006, 11:33 AM
ziege
Instructor

Took a closer look (in the light) this morning, and there are two pins sticking out that are blocking the key from going in.

Talked to the dealer, and apparently this is definitely "not normal".

Tow time! 1-800-PORSCHE...

Fun.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Queram
Instructor

Maybe it is a security measure. Maybe those pins pop up automatically if ignition is forced with something that does not belong there to disable the car.

anyways, let us know about the update pls.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:29 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you have 2 Porsche's and stick the wrong key you get the Immobilizer prompt, but it doesn't leave you high and dry. Porsche takes not having your car stolen very seriously.

Anybody remember the nightmare keys for the 993?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Pardon my ignorance in regards to Porsches in general and their ignition systems in particular but from what you describe you are now unable to stick the correct key in the ignition/starter switch but 1/8”. I would imagine the Porsche ignition/starter locking system is like many other manufacturers in that it is two systems in one, the mechanical, a physical lock and tumbler (but I did not understand another posters statement that the ignition slot is just a hole and the key is not keyed to a particular vehicle) and the electronic, a computer chip/transponder/immobilizer.

As previously stated if you stick another Porsche key into the ignition/starter switch you get the immobilizer prompt. It’s hard to diagnosis a problem over the internet but you stuck another manufacturer’s key into the ignition/starter switch which leads me to believe your problem is mechanical. I would think you damaged or activated the lock; either displaced some tumblers (unlikely) or activated the locking mechanism that holds the key captive when the ignition is on thus not allowing the key to now enter the slot. I wish you luck and hope the problem is minor and please report back what the problem turns out to be.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:00 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

997 987 cayman cayenne, do not have a keyed ignition, there is no mechinal lock whatsoever. any cut key will fit in the ign lock of any car. it will not start the car do to programing, The doors are keyed so you cant get in the car with anykey. Theres no tumblers just 7 lil micro switchs that are turned by any key. It does sound like he damaged the lock mechinism.
But you bring up an interisting ppint
its very possible he turned the switch on and then pulled the key out.
i would try sticking the toyota key back in and turning it off and seeing what happens

the 2 pins one on each side and offset is normal its there on every one
Old 11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
ziege
Instructor

Somebody is a genius!

Put the Toyota key back in (had to work it in there, but it finally went) and turned it off (thought I tried this yesterday, but all bets are off).

Well the real key slid right in, and started up!

I’m so glad that I can avoid the tow…

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:33 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

presto chango!!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:48 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

good to hear
Old 11-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks for sharing this interesting key fact.

Quick Reply: Ignition Problem - Key doesn't fit...