PDE MASTERS Day 2- REPORT

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 09:43 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PDE MASTERS Day 2- REPORT

Yesterday was a great day - dodged the rain bullet, and was able to do some high speed lapping.

Today, a different story - RAIN and free lapping.

A bummer - NO! Actually a better experience to test the capabilities of the 997.

The morning sessions it was raining...not too hard but steady and the track had alot of standing water with a few rivers thrown in for good measure. Very interesting to travel down the straights and go thru standing water and have it tug against the car, depending which side of the car the larger puddle was, an interesting sensation. Also braking was interesting as well, as wheels on one side or the other may have more or less grip causing the car to wiggle. There is no repeatability, each lap is different and ever changing.

The afternoon sessions the rain has subsided, as did the pooling water, but the track was wet and slick, with no wind nor sun to dry it out.Straight line speeds increase, as does braking and cornering diffuculty. Actually the track is slicker than with the rain and standing water, in particular the corners and braking zones.
Very interesting to feel and recognize tire shutter...in the dry the tires sing, in the wet they will shutter as they slide laterally.

No instructor Hot Laps at the end of the day - slick conditions made limit driving too riskey!

All inputs must be done Smoother
As Hurley Haywood said...conditions like this amplify the handling of the car by a factor of 100%...100mph is like 200mph.

The Autocross competition was also run on a wet track with slightly rainy conditions, times were +4 sec from practice in the dry on the previous day. My group, which included Vic Elford, took 1st in the autocross and I was lucky to be runner-up for Top Time.

The unexpeced bonus of this PDE was having Vic Elford in my group...a real pleasure chatting with a legend in motorsports!

Wet or dry PDE is great!!!

Photo to two legends in Motorsports
Vic Elford and Hurley Haywood

Last edited by MJones; 10-27-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

MJ, I have got to do this! What fun and a awesome learning experiance. Thanks for your posts on your PDE days.
Mike
Old 10-28-2006, 10:52 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

I hope MJones receives a commission from PDE. His excellent posts on his numerous trips to PDE have probably sold quite a few experiences. I know for myself I will be there November 9 & 10.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:14 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear you are having fun Mjones, but either way you slice it rain on any race track sucks. Thanks for the report and enjoy.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:18 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vic Elford, in his day was a "King" in the rain. I'd say any time you get a chance to follow him around a race track in the the rain, it is an opportunity and challenge, doesn't suck at all!

But then what do I know, glad you had such a great time Brian, I'll bet it was fun!!!!

Quick Reply: PDE MASTERS Day 2- REPORT