Sponsored by:

997 TT Wheels - did I make a mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:24 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

No Chrome!!
Options 1 and 2 might cause you a problem with option 3.
I think they look good so I'd go with option 4.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:40 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

No Chrome....other than that personally I'd change the wheels to something else.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would leave them alone and not worry about it...but it's not my car. That said, you could have the grey repainted or better yet, just polish them to match the rest of the wheel. I would not exchange them for aftermarket, you would be very hard pressed to find something as strong and race proven as the forged BBS wheel that you now own.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:02 PM
rzundel
Instructor

I appreciate everyone's feedback! I'm am getting the feeling that chroming is a no no in the Porsche scene! What are the feelings about having them fully polished? Not a bad suggestion. Or, maybe I could re-polish to a higher polish the area that is factory polished and have the grey area painted basalt black to match the car?

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Having them hard polished would make them look really tough--not too shiny, not to dull, but just right. In addition, if you ever road rash your rims and they are chromed, you are in deep poopy. They have to staighten and clean up the wheel, then re-chrome them-expensive! Polishing them gives you a hard shiny finish that can be easily repaired. They can do this at any wheel shop. THey'll tell you the same thing I did. I've had a couple of pairs polished and they look phenomenal (cars now sold). I am planning on doing another pair, but not my lobsters as they just don't look good no matter what you do to them.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:10 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

3., 2., 4., then 1.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by rzundel
I appreciate everyone's feedback! I'm am getting the feeling that chroming is a no no in the Porsche scene! What are the feelings about having them fully polished? Not a bad suggestion. Or, maybe I could re-polish to a higher polish the area that is factory polished and have the grey area painted basalt black to match the car?
I have these rims ordered for my S but my car is Carrara White so I hope it looks good . With respect to your's, how about removing the painted areas and just having it match the rest of the whee's finish, then there's no chrome or paint and you keep the original satin finish but on the whole wheel. What do you think?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:26 PM
rzundel
Instructor

They will look great on your white S. having them all polished out the same is an option I am looking at. Thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by 500
I have these rims ordered for my S but my car is Carrara White so I hope it looks good . With respect to your's, how about removing the painted areas and just having it match the rest of the whee's finish, then there's no chrome or paint and you keep the original satin finish but on the whole wheel. What do you think?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I think the story with these new Turbo wheels is the same as any other new radical introduction - it just takes time to get accustom to them. These wheels are a departure from what we usually see from Porsche. At first I was suspect, but after having the wheels in person for a couple months, cleaning and waxing them, they grow on you.

Ron, if it were me, I'd just leave them alone, but if you must, simply have the Wheel Enhancement folks change the grey to basalt or black for you. The wheels are cool...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:46 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I know what you mean. They do grow on you. That is why I would like to find a solution. They look great on your color car. Great match!

Originally Posted by mastiffdog
I think the story with these new Turbo wheels is the same as any other new radical introduction - it just takes time to get accustom to them. These wheels are a departure from what we usually see from Porsche. At first I was suspect, but after having the wheels in person for a couple months, cleaning and waxing them, they grow on you.

Ron, if it were me, I'd just leave them alone, but if you must, simply have the Wheel Enhancement folks change the grey to basalt or black for you. The wheels are cool...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 PM
cr2000
Advanced

Honestly it's a bit hard to tell a color mismatch from that picture. I actually think the wheels look quite nice in the pictured you posted. Perhaps in person it's more noticable.

As for chrome...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:59 PM
raffi
Pro

i posted a response on 6speed too, but here are some more of my opinions, first these wheels look better on the c4s than the turbo for some reason. but if you are having any doubts you should sell them asap. It looks like the wheels are one of the least liked aspects of the new turbo and I would expect ebay to be flooded with them once more people take delivery of their TT.
Since you bought them from wheelenhancement I would think the easiest thing might be to just choose another wheel from them and you might cut your losses.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd go with "Option 4. Do nothing." because it's not a mismatch, if anything, in a Cab, there's always the mismatch colour of the top to consider, but the wheels look fine. If anything, I agree that they do look better on the simple lines of a Carrera -- the Turbo is "busy" the wheels are too much. I'm looking forward to Porsche rediscovering its wheel designs. I don't like the current "S" wheel but at least they were going for something. The Turbo wheel is just not the best they could have offered especially given the price range of the car.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the turbo wheels suit the TT design wise because of the extra fins etc. If you like these I'd just leave them. No sense in digging yourself deeper. You can always go back to your others if need be.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rzundel
A chrome wheel is fine. It goes well with the open shirt, over-sized gold medallion and the release of your next hip-hop or gansta-rap CD.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
A chrome wheel is fine. It goes well with the open shirt, over-sized gold medallion and the release of your next hip-hop or gansta-rap CD.
Are you sure its Hip Hop or Rap? I think you may have meant Saturday Night Fever....

Quick Reply: 997 TT Wheels - did I make a mistake?