Sponsored by:

Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:51 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen m3pete, and apologies to the original poster for my harsh tone eariler. Have a on me.

Yah I registered at one of the popular vette forums because I like vettes too and that place can be frickin war zone sometimes.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:18 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sws1
OK - Let's talk facts guys. And then I'll provide my commentary.

Guess this forum isn't for me.
No, this forum is for you... just bring a thicker skin and drop the chip on your shoulder. Or, simply log on to this forum - http://forums.corvetteforum.com

Oh, if you're gonna leave the forum then at least buy a membership before you go.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:19 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
I'm sure my comments here will be unpopular with some of you....how dare a 993 owner say such a thing on the 997 section yadda yadda....Apparently gravedgr and few others here feel the difference between deciding to be courteous or not is centered on whether someone spends a few bucks on a membership? I usually like to see whats happening with 997 reliability and mods for future ideas should I decide to buy one but man its disappointing to see people so bent out of shape over memberships. The guy may be wrong in his interpretation about the article. Right or wrong whats the big deal? Maybe you should just spend the afternoon looking for all the posts by non-members and ridicule them? Seems shallow. There have been multiple threads about membership & whether or not people should be required to have one. I doubt most here would have become members had they not been given the opportunity to check out the community before becoming a member. The derogatory comments some of you have made here probably would deter some people who could make a positive contribution to this forum but have not yet become members. Let the people who own the site decide. If I owned this site I'd probably suggest to those who are condescending towards other members/users that they may get a little vacation if that attitude persists. I've just put on my flame-suit so bring it. I just think some of you are making comments that go against the positive spirit of what rennlist is all about. Just wanted to throw that out there....I'm done.
I think you're correct about membership to a point. If a guy wants a 30 day trial, that's fine. More than that and he's a freeloader.

I own a Ferrari too and the Fchat line has guys who have a few thousand posts over a few years and they still don't join and come up with lame excuses like, "no one asked me nice" and such.

Hey, if you want to meet a real bunch of guys with a red "L" on their brow go over to the "Off Topic" side of this list.

I like Fchat because the Mods are not as tight-butt as they are here, but the guys here are knowledgeable and rather friendly. Maybe too many ****-retentive posts about bird droppings and such, but all in all a nice bunch of guys (OK, some sociopaths, but only a few).

This guy has a deposit on a 911 (or so he says) and posts a four month old Rag-test that's been asked and answered ad nauseum. Got his shorts singed a little.

SO WHAT? This is not the place for self-esteem building. Go talk to your Mom or Shrink for that. Now if he wants some advice, or is feeling like he made a poor decision, ask others here what they think. But to drop a stink-bomb because more wanna-sell-an-issue wanna be journalists did yet another Monster Comparo featuriing a 911 (along with the Vette the longest running Icons in the business), then the Guy was right. Don't hit your a$$ on the door while leaving.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:22 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by M3Pete
The 911 is not a perfect car
None are, that's why you need a few. Took me 20 yrs and about 70 cars to understand that.

I'm well now, or so the Doctors say...
Old 09-03-2006, 02:59 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm sure my comments here will be unpopular with some of you....how dare a 993 owner say such a thing on the 997 section yadda yadda....Apparently gravedgr and few others here feel the difference between deciding to be courteous or not is centered on whether someone spends a few bucks on a membership?
I didn't see a single person mention membership until you brought it up. I couldn't give a flying f*ck whether someone is a member or not - that's the owner's business.

The guy may be wrong in his interpretation about the article. Right or wrong whats the big deal?
Gimme a break. Someone creates a thread "Xxxxx knocks 911" and then states as if fact "911 loses to Z06, Aston Martin; barely beats Cayman" - something the writers absolutely did not say in finality - and you wonder why people jump his case? If you cannot read "incite forum" between the lines, I question your ability to get my comments either.

Maybe you should just spend the afternoon looking for all the posts by non-members and ridicule them? Seems shallow. There have been multiple threads about membership & whether or not people should be required to have one. I doubt most here would have become members had they not been given the opportunity to check out the community before becoming a member. The derogatory comments some of you have made here probably would deter some people who could make a positive contribution to this forum but have not yet become members. Let the people who own the site decide. If I owned this site I'd probably suggest to those who are condescending towards other members/users that they may get a little vacation if that attitude persists. I've just put on my flame-suit so bring it. I just think some of you are making comments that go against the positive spirit of what rennlist is all about. Just wanted to throw that out there....I'm done.
Again with the membership thing. I'll go back and re-read to see if I missed something, but I'm 100% certain this has not been a thread of membership ***** - instead, it has been a thread of troll-spotting. I will retract (some of) my comments if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you have an agenda. I thought we were discussing an article.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:09 AM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

what a dumb comparison - comparing the 911 to the cayman to the Z06?!? talk about filling different market niches...
Old 09-03-2006, 03:10 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Hey guys, lets not become ZO6 forum posters. The 911 is not a perfect car, but we still bought one regardless. I used to care what other's thought before the purchase to determine if it was the right car for me in terms of performance, quality, ergonomics, etc. Who here didn't research the car to death before putting down big bucks? After my purchase I could care less what others said because I've already bought it and it's mine. Whatever you say doesn't matter as it's right for me.

Coming from the BMW side, I know a lot of other makes are compared to the 3 series (i.e. Lexus IS, Infiniti G35, etc. etc.), and gun for it with every new model they make. I like that. I look at it this way... the 911 is the gold standard that other sports cars, including the Z06 with 150 hp more are compared to. I see that as a compliment. Even with the huge difference in horsepower, the 40+ years of development have rendered the 911 the King of the hill and others will always try to knock it off the top step.
I guess I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I don't recall anyone replying with anything that basically said "the 911 is the best car in the world, how dare you insult us!". In my opinion, if the OP was really interested in analyzing the writers findings, he would have posted some comments with his opinions about what they said - not a flame-inducing one-line knock at the car.

I got no beef with any other car beating my 911 in any particular category of measurement. There's always someone better. If I disagree with the comparison, I'll state why and we can talk about it. If I wanted to troll the corvette forum, I'd post the exact same article there with a one line comment like "Corvette out drags 911, but center console nearly catches fire."

Do you think they would respond with "Hmm...interesting comparison." or would they rip me a new one? I just don't get the inability to separate the intent and method of the post from the data referenced.

Originally Posted by lowside67
what a dumb comparison - comparing the 911 to the cayman to the Z06?!? talk about filling different market niches...
Perfect example. If this were a C&D comparison of cars in the same market (accord vs camry vs whatever, or 911 vs viper vs z06) I might agree - in this case, it seems they are just seeing how some other cars stack up against (in their words) "Porsche's masterpiece".
Old 09-03-2006, 03:29 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sws1
This forum is filled with the most holier-than-thou people I've ever come across on any internet forum. Someone offers something to share, and everyone jumps on him like a bunch of snobs. Guess this forum isn't for me.
Quit whining and use the search function. I (and probably everyone) welcome you and love to have you on board and look forward to your contributions, but this topic in general and this article in particular have been discussed over and over and over and over again. So if you don't want to come across as a troll or a lazy ***, just research your topic before you post it. Thank you.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:38 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

C'mon Doug,
What other reason could there be to call someone a "troll"? I've never read anyone calling a paid member a troll here (maybe a few other choice words...but never "troll"). THAT is why I brought up paid membership vs. no membership. As for the content and disagreeing with the conclusion about the article thats fine. I'm not debating whether he's right or wrong here. It comes down to bringing up something completely off point...like calling someone's mother fat because you don't agree with what they said. Regardless of whether this guy "incite[d] the forum" or not its just name calling as far as I can see it. I'm not here to pick a fight. I just think you're trying to beat the guy up with off-point remarks to make him go away. Maybe he should if he really was offending anyone but saying some writer (not him) thinks a Vette is a better car doesn't seem that offensive to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say that it really was your troll comment that was a little bit offensive. Enough that a few apologized for your comment. No biggie, its an open forum so you can write what you want. I just hate seeing people leave who may have a positive contribution to make here even if some of the things they write are wrong. If we all agreed about everything here RL would probably get pretty boring. As for any "agenda" I only wanted to point out what seemed to be offensive and was clearly taken by the thread starter as such. Its all good, I've written some stuff here thats gotten me in hot water before with the administrator. It was to someone being a complete A-hole to a non-member and I'd seen him do it countless times. I finally told him what I REALLY thought. I'm doing the same with you, just in a NICE way this time. As far as I am concerned, you do have a problem with non-members or you wouldn't have that circle with a line through it. I take some offense to that. I have several relatives and friends who are "trolls" .....peace out...
Old 09-03-2006, 03:23 PM
John Welch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can't anyone use a f'in carriage return?

Oh, and this post was a troll...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:11 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

C'mon Doug,
What other reason could there be to call someone a "troll"? I've never read anyone calling a paid member a troll here (maybe a few other choice words...but never "troll"). THAT is why I brought up paid membership vs. no membership. As for the content and disagreeing with the conclusion about the article thats fine. I'm not debating whether he's right or wrong here. It comes down to bringing up something completely off point...like calling someone's mother fat because you don't agree with what they said. Regardless of whether this guy "incite[d] the forum" or not its just name calling as far as I can see it. I'm not here to pick a fight. I just think you're trying to beat the guy up with off-point remarks to make him go away. Maybe he should if he really was offending anyone but saying some writer (not him) thinks a Vette is a better car doesn't seem that offensive to me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say that it really was your troll comment that was a little bit offensive. Enough that a few apologized for your comment. No biggie, its an open forum so you can write what you want. I just hate seeing people leave who may have a positive contribution to make here even if some of the things they write are wrong. If we all agreed about everything here RL would probably get pretty boring. As for any "agenda" I only wanted to point out what seemed to be offensive and was clearly taken by the thread starter as such. Its all good, I've written some stuff here thats gotten me in hot water before with the administrator. It was to someone being a complete A-hole to a non-member and I'd seen him do it countless times. I finally told him what I REALLY thought. I'm doing the same with you, just in a NICE way this time. As far as I am concerned, you do have a problem with non-members or you wouldn't have that circle with a line through it. I take some offense to that. I have several relatives and friends who are "trolls" .....peace out...
If I may interject... I believe the reason paid members aren't usually called trolls is because those who go to the effort to join the site are generally more committed to Rennlist and the success of this community. It is very easy to sign up for a new account on any enthusiast forum for a particular vehicle and start talking smack about it - the point is, nobody would go to the effort of PAYING for a membership purely to antagonize the rest of the forum. In my mind, it's fairly easy to draw a correllation between whether a user is a member or not and the likelihood they genuinely want to contribute vs inciting argument for the sake of their own amusement.

As a user who bought my membership fairly soon after I joined here - I feel like I get my money's worth and wouldn't consider it unreasonable to HAVE to pay to use this forum.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:21 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

The most amazing aspect of this entire thread to me is that apparently some people actually read Motor Trend! Who knew?
Old 09-03-2006, 04:58 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i don't think the original poster sws1 deserved what he recieved,
and i can see why he it would sour him on the site.
usually new guys are given a little bit of leash.
and having read some of his posts prior to this one there is
no way i would consider him a troll, or that he was merely trying
to incite with his post.

jeff

p.s. john welch - what is a "carraige return"
Old 09-03-2006, 05:26 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Did you notice the front page of cnn this morning?

Old 09-03-2006, 06:11 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Did you notice the front page of cnn this morning?

He should have never apologized to that hi maintanence head case...

Oops, I mean Aggasi was always fun to watch.

Don't you find it ironic that Brooke is associated with both these men? Sort of what Vonnegut called a "carass" in Cat's Cradle.

Oh, yeah, the Porsche thing. Like we didn't know?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend article - 911 gets knocked