Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look your car over carefully at delivery

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:23 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that, it happens on all car brands...

I once bought a brand new BMW with similar problem. I researched a bit and realized that all car companies sometimes have their cars damaged during transit (accidents happen).

They have special repair centers at, or near, the ports or destinations to take care of these damaged cars. Needless to say these special repair centers sometimes don't live up to the factory standard.

I hope your dealer stands up and take good care of you. Please don't lose your trust on Porsche AG, it happens to all car brands.

With best regards,
Old 05-28-2007, 04:54 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only foreign cars have issues during shipping. My mother, back in the 1970's, used to work at a Ford dealership. Cars would often travel by open containers on the train (the standard of transportation between factory and dealership back then for american cars) - Cars arrived all the time with rocks through windshields and things like that, from travelling across the prairies and mean spirited kids, as well as the passes through the rocky mountains. And these cars would hit the DEALERSHIP LOT with these 'defects'. When I was 13 as well, my parents took delivery of a new GMC pickup - with a painted front bumper - I noticed immediately it had a black spot under the paint. It was some sort of oil.
Now how a nearly perfectly round splotch of oil gets under the clearcoat but on top of the paint of a vehicle's bumper cover is beyond me... But it happens.
They took care of it, and it sounds as though your dealership and friend did too.

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Bruce, that you're happy and/or satisfied is the ultimate measure. Time erases small issues like paint imperfections, chips, dings, stains, tears, etc. - at the same time, it enhances the pleasant thoughts and memories, so go build some!
Very eloquently put
Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my Turbo, there is a hair on the passenger side "hip" and the fuel door has way too much clear coat and it hardened on the bottom of the door. Terrible.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:20 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be concern about fact they say the problem was thin clear and they fixed it by wet sanding it even thinner..........
Old 05-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

When i picked up my car everything looked fine,the paint looked perfect....until my first waxing when i discovered a spot on the right side missing clear coat. you cant see it but you can feel it when you run a waxing towel over it.I did not complain as i figured it was insignificant but it still bugs me when i wax.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Fishdoc
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the heads up guys. Due to get my basalt in a month and will pay heed to your concerns.
Dang, what's the deal. I would not have thought one of my concerns would be a questionable paint job.
"Freedom is having nothing left to lose" comes to mind when placed in this situation. Question is if too much or not enough clear coat on bumper edge gives reason to walk or suck it up and justify it as only a hundred grand Porsche vs paying 200 for a Gallado (or 20 for a Honda civic for that matter)
Just another choice we make like many others during the course of a day that affects our peace.
Philisophically, where do you draw the line. Probably ten thousand answers out there.
Hopefully maturation and meditation preserves our peace when we see a cosmetic imperfection
on our a new prize and we move on with or with out this particular P-car.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:52 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche was never known for their paint anyway, and I think they are just keeping up the tradition.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I would be willing to bet that EVERY new car has some kind of blemish. I think because of the amount of $$ we spend we tend to look harder and longer. Let's hear from the those Ferrari and Lambo owners....any defect out there??....
Old 05-28-2007, 04:18 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen several 911's starting back from 2003 with NASTY paint issues. My 2003 that I owned had a big...and I mean big white tipped glob of **** dead center in the drivers door that was precisely .057" higher than the surrounding paint according to my Starrett dial indicator. I also had hundreds of flat tiny white spots in both fenders and my passenger door was horribly misaligned.

My new 997S thankfully only has a small bump on the front right edge of the hood that can hardly be seen.

I saw a red 997S at the dealer in Roanoke VA that had such a bad defect on the right side rear fender directly next to the door handle that I passed on buying that one.

Sad....
Old 05-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Let's not forget my first 07 997S (white) which had paint contamination with thousands of embedded dirt particles over the entire upper surfaces of the car. I too did not notice the problem until I waxed the car as every area I applied wax to brought out all the particles, almost like the car had a ton of sealer on it to cover the defects I returned the car back to the dealership which graciously ordered another 997S/ my current Meteor car.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 347 Posts

Well, this thread is making me feel great as I'm getting ready to leave for the airport to pick up my TT. I think I'll vomit on the spot if I see any "major" imperfections.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:48 PM

I'm sure it will be fine

I ask the dealer not to detail the car and do it yourself when you get it home.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

You would think Porsche would have a clean room for painting. Must be some penny pincher who figured out that the cost to repair X number of vehicles was cheaper than building a proper filter system.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 46 Posts

when i picked up my car it had two small chips under the headlight .when i told the salesman , he was nice enough to tell me that i could " get a tube of touchup for 20 or 30 bucks" !!! that was awful nice of him ! needless to say , that didnt fly with me .
Old 05-29-2007, 05:50 PM
carrerakrazy
Track Day

Default o6 997S arctic silver

I walked away from my 06 997s with something under the paint on the passenger door. They were willing to send to the body shop. I opted to order an 07. Sorry to hear that so many have had similar issues.

Quick Reply: Look your car over carefully at delivery