Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to date/time fix DME ignition events?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:47 AM
snarf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible to date/time fix DME ignition events?

If you have already read this on other forums, sorry – move on.

Just about a week to go before I collect my new C2S. For insurance purposes I had to contact the dealer to get delivery mileage which turns out to be 26 miles. Initially I thought this was high but a quick search showed this to be about the average. However, I then started worrying about what might have happened during those 26 miles, I know some 997 owners have had warranty disputes because of the number of ignitions in ranges 1 to 6 shown on DME data analysis. Hence my question; can the number of ignitions in the ranges 1 to 6 be analysed by date or time such that any mistreatment prior to delivery can be isolated and identified as such? Or is the only safe option to get a DME print-out before taking delivery and has anyone done this?

Information on DME data can be found at: http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...=&fpart=5&vc=1
Old 08-24-2006, 11:41 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A quick hook-up to the PIWIS tester by a tech can get you the info you are looking for.

Type 1 ...rev-limiter hits
Type 2 ...mechanical over-runs.

I do not believe that they will be identifed by date or time, only the # of ignitions if any, in each catagory.

For peace of mind, it only takes a few minutes.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-06-2006, 12:51 PM
snarf
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJones
A quick hook-up to the PIWIS tester by a tech can get you the info you are looking for.
Dealer obliged and provided a print out dated and timed just a couple of hour before I collected the car. Zero ignitions recorded across the entire range. Operating hours counter was 3.000 and total distance was 36.000 (km I presume). Odometer reading was 26 miles which is 42km so a little confused about this. Still its nice to have a little more information on the cars short history.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:34 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wonder if they let some idiot red line them. I asked the dealer about that when I test drove my car with 30 some miles on it. He claimed that they don't. But that has to happen.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Queram
Instructor

26 miles (42km as you said) is high in my opinion. I had 4 km on my 2006 Carrera4S.

Two cars I purchased when I lived in USA had 4 miles (Audi) and 6 miles (BMW).

Quick Reply: Possible to date/time fix DME ignition events?