Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:33 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too bad we aren't like the European market. Yes, there cars don't have a sunroof standard and they only have to pay 30% more than we do to get it that way. Would you all be happier if they took the sunroofs away and raised prices over 30%?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:01 AM
avdiscolo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine, but I wouldn't pay extra if it were an option.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:14 AM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

Every day. When its cold (California cold is 60) I still open it up and turn on the heated seats. An 80k+ car should come with a sunroof standard.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Never use the sunroof--wish it wasn't standard equipment in North America or that the no-cost delete was still available. Had I had a choice, I definitely would have gotten my Club Coupe without it.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:44 AM
cpturbo
Advanced

Default It should be an option

I have never even opened my sunroof. I wish that I could have ordered the car without it and I would gladly pay for that privelege. Unfortunately, the responses in this thread reinforce PCNA's decision to add it to the GT3 and GT3RS. Such a shame for those of us who are true sports car enthusiasts. Money talks and the rest of us will look to the past for the 993 models and 996 GT3 for that old flame of passion.

Oh, well.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 AM
Shark-GT3
Advanced

I enjoy the sunroof but rarely use it in my CLK-55 due to wind noise and inability to use the hands-free phone with the sunroof open. That being said - The CLK is my commuter and the GT3 is being purchased solely as a track/fun car. I would really enjoy having the choice to DELETE the sunroof on my forthcoming GT3. Then again, I would never forgive myself if I cancelled the order solely becuase of the sunroof.

I am a Porsche fan, have been since I was old enough to appreciate cars. I remember when Porsche pretty much mandated the way you were supposed to drive, by not offering any steering wheel tilt/reach adjustability long after other cars had it. That - was a far more detrimental issue (at the time) than the mandatory sunroof is now.

PLUS - Walter Rorhl always seems to have a smile on his face. And I have seen several pictures of him in GT3's with Sunroofs.

I will take my 997 GT3, enjoy the heck out of it, and hope that PCNA gets their collective Sh*t together.

Brian
Old 08-23-2006, 10:04 AM
dgwhitten
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Use it almost everyday. My C2 is daily driver and I would most certainly order it as option. Also, why is the thing still metal when almost every other manufacturer has gone to clear? Never have figured that one out.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:04 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dgwhitten
Use it almost everyday. My C2 is daily driver and I would most certainly order it as option. Also, why is the thing still metal when almost every other manufacturer has gone to clear? Never have figured that one out.
They would have to call it "moonroof" then...

Sunroof is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. Moonroof is a term created by Ford in the 70's, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

I open my sunroof fairly often and would order it if it was an option.
I'm curious to sit in a new Targa and 'see' what that feels like. Perhaps one day there will be the TTT (again).
Old 08-23-2006, 02:14 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 321 Likes on 209 Posts

I use mine to vent the car on hot days.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I open my sunroof fairly often...
Dave, may I presume for venting purposes? ...

------------------

My wife's Honda has one of those moonroofs but it's fixed and doesn't open. There's a sliding cover inside that you can manually open and close, but that's about it. Wonder why Ford decided to call it a moonroof anway? Maybe a marketing spin to pitch the romantic angle with having this option.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Dave, may I presume for venting purposes? ...
Exactly. Sometimes after a big meal, I can't get even get the windows down because of the pressure gradient. The tilting nature of the sunroof allows safe decompression.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:27 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgwhitten
That reason is simple, the reason for this tread: weight. A glass sunroof due to its thickness is much heavier that a thin still structure, requires an additional inner sunshield and secondary tracks. Yes, they have them in Cayenne's, but those are actually re-skinned VW Tourags.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
Too bad we aren't like the European market. Yes, there cars don't have a sunroof standard and they only have to pay 30% more than we do to get it that way. Would you all be happier if they took the sunroofs away and raised prices over 30%?
Not sure I get what you are saying. I don't think the pricing relates in anyway to the sunroof. In the 996 you were able to delete the sunroof in the US and the pricing difference between the US & Europe was no different than what it is now.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:24 PM
z2die4
AutoX

Originally Posted by cpturbo
I have never even opened my sunroof. I wish that I could have ordered the car without it and I would gladly pay for that privelege. Unfortunately, the responses in this thread reinforce PCNA's decision to add it to the GT3 and GT3RS. Such a shame for those of us who are true sports car enthusiasts. Money talks and the rest of us will look to the past for the 993 models and 996 GT3 for that old flame of passion.

Oh, well.

I think it should be offere as a no cost option, bit disagree with your other statement. I'm a true sports car lover, and I love my sunroof. Having a sunroof on my car, doesnt mean Im an old man. The 2 things can coexist. I will gladly give up a minisule amount of rigidity/weight for a huge amount of comfort/convenience.

Quick Reply: Your Sunroof