Sponsored by:

Too much....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:15 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Too much....

Months ago I posted a 19k miles report that included: a replaced engine, a trunk that wouldn’t open (2 incidents a month apart), recalls, constant “check engine” lights, along with other various maladies, and worse of all, many lost weekends with the car waiting for parts at the dealer.

Now at 39k miles and 18 months, things are a bit better. The engine hasn’t fallen out, but the check engine light continues to torture me, usually on Saturday mornings. This requires a trip to the dealer where inevitably they find reasons for me to spend money; a nail in a tire, front breaks, etc.

I arrived home last night after a week in Asia. During the 23 hour door-to-door trip home, I daydreamed of getting into the p-car for a spin. As it turned out, my family was out when I arrived. I dropped my bags, took a quick shower, and headed for the garage. I had left her clean and full of gas. I sat in and cranked the engine. The engine’s noise bounced off the garage walls and all was right with the world. Threw the baby into reverse, and then heard the all too familiar sound of the check engine light notice chime. This is really starting to **** me off.

I love this car. And I am smart enough to know that the problems I have had with it are rare among p-car owners. Therefore, it stands to reason that Porsche would agree with the fact that they never intended to sell a car with all of these defects. The problems are annoying, time consuming, and a real pain in the *** for an $85k car.

In going through my mail, I noticed a letter from Porsche’s North American President, Peter Schwarzenbauer, regarding the “….sinfully curved body…” of the Caymen S. I wonder Caymanwould have sent me a letter highlighting my sinful need for a new engine after 8k miles or countless trips (would he call them “visits”?) to the dealer?

I plan to write Mr. Schwarzenbauer and lay oSchwarzenbauerical listing of my experience with his 997. I don’t know what a letter will get me, or how far I expect to take the matter, but I am a little fed up with the problems. All I want is a 997 without these headaches…..
Old 08-21-2006, 09:18 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry. Spell check screwed up th above post.

--------------------

Months ago I posted a 19k miles report that included: a replaced engine, a trunk that wouldn’t open (2 incidents a month apart), recalls, constant “check engine” lights, along with other various maladies, and worse of all, many lost weekends with the car waiting for parts at the dealer.

Now at 39k miles and 18 months, things are a bit better. The engine hasn’t fallen out, but the check engine light continues to torture me, usually on Saturday mornings. This requires a trip to the dealer where inevitably they find reasons for me to spend money; a nail in a tire, front breaks, etc.

I arrived home last night after a week in Asia. During the 23 hour door-to-door trip home, I thought of getting into the p-car for a spin. As it turned out, my family was out when I arrived. I dropped my bags, took a quick shower, and headed for the garage. I had left her clean and full of gas. I sat in and cranked the engine. The engine’s noise bounced off the garage walls and all was right with the world. Threw the baby into reverse, and then heard the all too familiar sound of the check engine light notice chime. This is really starting to **** me off.

I love this car. And I am smart enough to know that the problems I have had with it are rare among p-car owners. Therefore, it stands to reason that Porsche would agree with the fact that they never intended to sell a car with all of these defects. The problems are annoying, time consuming, and a real pain in the *** for an $85k car.

In going through my mail, I noticed a letter from Porsche’s North American President, Peter Schwarzenbauer, regarding the “….sinfully curved body…” of the Caymen S. I wonder if he would have sent me a letter highlighting my sinful need for a new engine after 8k miles or countless trips (would he call them “visits”?) to the dealer?

I plan to write Mr. Schwarzenbauer and lay out a chronological listing of my experience with his 997. I don’t know what a letter will get me, or how far I expect to take the matter, but I am a little fed up with the problems. All I want is a 997 without these headaches…..
Old 08-21-2006, 09:29 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

I might have posted this comment before, unaware if it was regarding your issue, but I read a great article one day regarding "Lemons". A lawyer that specializes in fighting car manufacturers on vehicles that qualify for the Lemon Law, which results in either a new car or casharooni. This lawyer goes on to state, among other things, that Porsche is among the worst regarding the recognition that a particular vehicle is a mechanical nightmare. His words were: "...they believe they can do no wrong." The spirit of his comments were clear; Porsche doesn't like to replace cars or make things right. Instead they believe their cars, each and everyone, are flawless pieces of art. Be prepared for a protacted war. I believe in your efforts and the idea of going to the top. Make no mistake, you're doing the right thing.

I don't know the extent of your claims, but a well documented case can not be ignored. A letter from a good attorney will work wonders if you have no luck going directly to them. Document your calls and follow-up with a letter detailing your discussion to the person you spoke with. Keep copies of your phone bills detailing the calls. More importantly, keep every single receipt and a log of the problems and when they occur. If this goes to the big show, you're ready.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is terrible. But why do you have to spend money on a car that's still in warranty?
As advised, document everything and start legal proceedings if necessary. It may cost you a bit but sue for legal fees as well since it's taking you so much to deal with it.
Your letter isn't going to him but will be filtered in. If I were you, do what a guy in SF did to Apple, threaten to go to the press slamming the Cube. Steve Jobs called him personally to deal with it.
Be persistent.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:10 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is what chinese did when they were pissed off by their lemon.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"Now at 39k miles and 18 months, things are a bit better. The engine hasn’t fallen out, but the check engine light continues to torture me, usually on Saturday mornings. This requires a trip to the dealer where inevitably they find reasons for me to spend money; a nail in a tire, front breaks, etc.
"

most states 39k miles is outside of lemon law
Old 08-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Many many years ago a good friend of mine was coming down our local pass road and the brakes on his 928 locked up and the car wound up rolling several times. Porsche replaced the car, with virtually no questions asked. Why, you asked?

My friend used to race for Porsche many years ago, still races other makes, and his credibility with Porsche was apparently first rate. Porsche would NEVER admit that the brakes were defective, but they replaced his car without a hassle. Clearly, Porsche does screw up sometimes but they will never be the first to admit it.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by pl

No, that's MB roadside service in China
Old 08-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make a fuss at the stealership -errr dealership - actually bring it to a new dealership.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Brett - That is one terrible sig!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by pl

What is the conversion factor to go from horse to oxen power?

Quick Reply: Too much....